Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for relative, Chase Freedom app

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question for relative, Chase Freedom app

I have a distant relative with a score in the 580's.  Only 1 inquiry total. Limited history, no mortage, auto loans, or any credit cards. No baddies, bankruptcies or collections. The 1 inquiry was a mortage attempt, even they said you have to go get a credit card to build a history...

My question is, this person is showing a prequal offer for Chase Freedom and Slate! Both 0 for 15 then 22.9 percent w/ opt out notice. Nothing on Amex, Citi, or BOA.

I know its better to do chase first....and I think normally if it were me I would do a secured card or some type of installment loan...but a quick way to 5% categories and the added bonus I think would be a great way to get her into this. Am I crazy?

My personal inkling on this would be maybe open a credit card where shes had a checking account for over a decade...but they are crummy rewards cards managed by elan. Would it be better to open a checking account at a credit union and get a card there? OR  Just go for the freedom and slate, move all but $500 from the slate to the freedom? Or app at BOA where they offer secured cards? I would hate to suggest capital one and leave that as a last resort. Then again a secured capital one could graduate into something better than Credit One. She literally has no payment history of any kind.....Her scores just arent high where I feel comfortable saying go for it. Now if they were above 600, the freedom would be a nobrainer. Can you really get approved for a freedom below 600?

If the answer to chase is a big NO...what secured cards out there have the ability to graduate, no AF, and with no banking relationship? There is BOA, cap1..... what else?

I guess I could make her an AU on a few of my cards...but most of mine are from May or later....so....not of significant help....

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question for relative, Chase Freedom app

She can afford to burn an inquiry. I'd take a shot at it, even though the odds are long. If she doesn't get it, then look at secured cards.

Message 2 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

She can afford to burn an inquiry. I'd take a shot at it, even though the odds are long. If she doesn't get it, then look at secured cards.

Agree. 1 or even 3 inquiries will have little impact. The scores are great considering no credit cards or other loans. Try it. If denied go to local credit union or capital one and get a secure card. Im sure that relatives score will be in the mid 600s within a couple of months. and can only go up as long as they don't get carried away.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question for relative, Chase Freedom app UPDATE: APPROVED

Approved!  $1,500!!!!  0 for 15 then 22.9%.  This is a god send to avoid a prepaid.

Question, when trying to apply for the slate it says thanks for applying and closes the browser session.  I have even reopened and checked for offers.

Do we just need to go into chase and apply away from the preapproval page???

"We appreciate your interest in a Chase card product. We have received the information you have submitted. You may close your browser session."

That is the message I get when clicking respond now below the slate.

THANKS!!!!

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question for relative, Chase Freedom app UPDATE: APPROVED

Thank you for responding. Your response requires further review before making a decision.

Here's what you can expect:

• Our goal is to notify you in writing within 10 days; however, in some circumstances it may take up to 30 days.
  • If you are approved, you will receive your card and other important information in the mail.
  • Please do not resubmit this response.

This is what we saw after apping for the Slate. 

Message 5 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

If that is what you saw. No matter what do no call them. It should show up in your friends online profile. Good luck.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:
If that is what you saw. No matter what do no call them. It should show up in your friends online profile. Good luck.

how do we make an online profile without an account number?

Lastly, I thought the "let it process" method was for cobranded cards?

Thanks for the fast reply!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity has you spoiled. You cannot create an online profile until you have the card.

Call 1-800-436-7927 for the automated service. If you get a "notified in 2 weeks" message about the Slate then it's probably in their verification department. It happened to me twice Friday and I was approved for both AFTER calling in.

Good luck!!
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Comenity has you spoiled. You cannot create an online profile until you have the card.

Call 1-800-436-7927 for the automated service. If you get a "notified in 2 weeks" message about the Slate then it's probably in their verification department. It happened to me twice Friday and I was approved for both AFTER calling in.

Good luck!!

it did not say 2 weeks  for the slate. it said notified by writing in 7-10 days.

so yeah....this whole thing should have been done on a monday like I wanted because I am sure underwriting is not available lol.

So I guess we will wait here for a concensus to let it process or recon this week!  Great news either way, u guys know me I had to push the envelope lol.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the Slate is going to be a denial. Two cards at a 580 score is pushing it.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.