Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really irritated at Discover

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really irritated at Discover

I am very irritated, I went to the Discover website to check if I was preapproved for a card.  It came back and said to apply for the IT card so I did, and entered all of my information, I waited about 30 seconds and then a screen popped up asking for employer information so I was thinking this might be a good thing, hit the button again and 30 seconds later it comes back and says they cannot approve me and i will hear from them in 7 to 10 days.  I wasted an inquiry I suppose.  First in 3 months. I am in the process of rebuilding from mid 500 scores and currenty have scores from myfico of Equifax 592, Transunion 620, Experian 602.  I currently have 4 cards with a total of $2,000 CL and utilization of 11% and income of $119,000.  I am a bit frustrated. I think I will wait till my scores get to at least 650 across the board before I apply for anyhing else.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Santi78342
Established Contributor

Re: Really irritated at Discover

Yeah. They changed the Discover preappoval a while back so that everyone gets told to apply. Unfortunately, It's about as good as a Credit Karma suggestion now.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am very irritated, I went to the Discover website to check if I was preapproved for a card.  It came back and said to apply for the IT card so I did, and entered all of my information, I waited about 30 seconds and then a screen popped up asking for employer information so I was thinking this might be a good thing, hit the button again and 30 seconds later it comes back and says they cannot approve me and i will hear from them in 7 to 10 days.  I wasted an inquiry I suppose.  First in 3 months. I am in the process of rebuilding from mid 500 scores and currenty have scores from myfico of Equifax 592, Transunion 620, Experian 602.  I currently have 4 cards with a total of $2,000 CL and utilization of 11% and income of $119,000.  I am a bit frustrated. I think I will wait till my scores get to at least 650 across the board before I apply for anyhing else.

Yeah....592 EQ won't get you far with Discover at all.

Online Discover preapprovals are WORTHLESS.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,

I will ask before I apply for anything in the future or wait for a preapproval in the mail.  

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, unfortunately Discover's preapproval page is crummy like that.

Discover is a funny company on approvals / denials.  Honestly I've found no real rhyme or reason to it - it seems like they like you if you have no credit at all or excellent credit, and it seems like they counter offer the joint or secured card completely randomly.  It seems like with Discover, it's a complete and total crap shoot.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My co worker who has reall bad credit score was told she was pre approved for the chrome student she appplied (i told her not to) and BAM got a big old denied! 

then she went to cap 1 (like i told her) and got $500 on quicksilver MC

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is weird and very exact with their criteria.

Many people with much worse scores and situations have been approved over me. I'm not in great shape by any means but a lot better than many people that have been approved. Not worth anymore inquiries from me imo. I have many good cards now and will not bother with Discover again. 

Message 7 of 18
TURNERHOOVER
Established Contributor

I applied for Discover,  was first denied then moments later they countered with another proposal, asked me to confirm offer, after doing so I was approved for 1500 limit. Weird process. 714 EQ at time of approval hope this helps.

EX 727 | EQ 720 | TU 740

FREEDOM 4.5k | BCP 9.5k | DISCOVER 2.5k | ARRIVAL+ 7.5k | RITZ CARLTON 15k
No new Apps till Dec 2016
Message 8 of 18
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Message 9 of 18
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Discover is conservative.. Online pre-approval is close to worthless.. Discover however likes thin but spotless credit (new generating score or less if student) or thicker excellent credit. Mail pre-approval esp with a set APR or narrow range (not 11 to 23) show a better chance at approval. Id be gardening for at least a 660, but if your borderline you might be offered a Co applicant or a secured offer
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.