Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ritz - Conflicted whether to app or not

tag
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

Ritz - Conflicted whether to app or not

I have been reading the current Ritz cc offer for the past few days. I really didn't start salivating for it until after getting approved for Marriott biz cc. That 140K would sure look good in my points bank! I am teeter-tottering between applying or not. I've gone on the app screen several times today, stared at it, and closed out the screen. I want to complete the app and hit submit, but the AF is a bit steep. I can't get 100% on board to justify it.

I've only stayed at the SF Ritz twice the past 2 years. Those were only because of parties that was held there and did not have to pay for the room. When taking the family on trips, I'd rather pay $200-$250 for a room instead of $400 and use the savings as spending money for the kids. With that in mind...I don't see myself utilizing the $100 hotel credit. And since I really dont stay at this brand, I can't take advantage of stay 2 consecutive nights and get 3rd night free. Which means the 3 club level upgrades per year will not be used as well.

We have always travelled by air when going on long distance out of town trips..but now the family have started enjoying doing long driving and enjoying whatever scenery that comes along the freeway. Stopping here and there to enjoy the view/area etc. Since the $300 credit can't be applied for airline tickets, i can't see myself taking advantage of it. I know I can take my chances on buying the GC's...but with us not having any plans on flying any time soon, i have no use for them.

I can make a play for it for getting Gold status with this card. Surely that's a good reason to justify the AF. But that would mean putting all my monthly spend on this card so I can keep the status that is recognized at Ritz and Marriott hotels. But I most of those monthly spend (in my opinion) benefits me more keeping it on the cards I currently use.

I would be ok with not being able to take advantage of most perks and I'm sure I can find a way to meet the annual $10K spend to keep Gold status. But with doing so and not being able to use the other perks, i would be spending more just to get a status that I can use once every quarter at Marriott.

But damn Chase and Ritz because I still want the card!! Seems like its worth the AF just for its package presentation LOL!

Ugh...decisions, decisions!! Are my reasons for being on the fence seem skewed to you guys? Sorry for the lengthy post.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Ritz - Conflicted whether to app or not

Do it!

Even if you don't want to risk gift cards, you can use it for baggage fees and stuff. If you're a family that's gotta add up quick. Or in flight food/drink

And gold status is only 10k a year in spend. Doubtful that would be all of your spend.
Message 2 of 14
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@TravellingNomad wrote:

I have been reading the current Ritz cc offer for the past few days. I really didn't start salivating for it until after getting approved for Marriott biz cc. That 140K would sure look good in my points bank! I am teeter-tottering between applying or not. I've gone on the app screen several times today, stared at it, and closed out the screen. I want to complete the app and hit submit, but the AF is a bit steep. I can't get 100% on board to justify it.

I've only stayed at the SF Ritz twice the past 2 years. Those were only because of parties that was held there and did not have to pay for the room. When taking the family on trips, I'd rather pay $200-$250 for a room instead of $400 and use the savings as spending money for the kids. With that in mind...I don't see myself utilizing the $100 hotel credit. And since I really dont stay at this brand, I can't take advantage of stay 2 consecutive nights and get 3rd night free. Which means the 3 club level upgrades per year will not be used as well.

We have always travelled by air when going on long distance out of town trips..but now the family have started enjoying doing long driving and enjoying whatever scenery that comes along the freeway. Stopping here and there to enjoy the view/area etc. Since the $300 credit can't be applied for airline tickets, i can't see myself taking advantage of it. I know I can take my chances on buying the GC's...but with us not having any plans on flying any time soon, i have no use for them.

I can make a play for it for getting Gold status with this card. Surely that's a good reason to justify the AF. But that would mean putting all my monthly spend on this card so I can keep the status that is recognized at Ritz and Marriott hotels. But I most of those monthly spend (in my opinion) benefits me more keeping it on the cards I currently use.

I would be ok with not being able to take advantage of most perks and I'm sure I can find a way to meet the annual $10K spend to keep Gold status. But with doing so and not being able to use the other perks, i would be spending more just to get a status that I can use once every quarter at Marriott.

But damn Chase and Ritz because I still want the card!! Seems like its worth the AF just for its package presentation LOL!

Ugh...decisions, decisions!! Are my reasons for being on the fence seem skewed to you guys? Sorry for the lengthy post.

The Ritz Carlton card is what I would categorize as a "feel good" card.  I don't see much value in the sense of earning additional rewards.  However if the points can be consumed in a years time why not.  It does feel good to be able to flash this card while taking the family out.  Even if it means once or twice a year usage.

For me, I would not be using this card often--- I don't own one yet.   But even if I did it would be apped mainly for the additional credit line for UTIL purpose. 

Bottom line is for someone like me, a credit card is a credit card unless the rewards is high.. something like 4-6% cashback.  If not for the rewards then it's better off for the "feel good" effect....otherwise just simple credit line SD.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 3 of 14
aav
Established Contributor

OMG!!! I've been having the EXACT same debate points with myself over the last few days as well! I'm leaning towards no, but I am often drawn to that apply page.

Do it for us lol! The things that are stopping me are our plans to refi the house and buy a new car next month...that the aaoa, and the AF.  Wow the ritzy card in my wallet would feel good though...I've looked at credit pulls and they don't have much data. But they do pull EQ which would be good. 

Your reasons ons scream "no..." Btw lol but go for it and let us know how it goes!

EQ - 834 TU - 823 EX - 822
Amex NPSL Amex BCP - 25,000, Amex EDC - 12000, Diner's Club Premier -35,000, Ritz Carlton - 22,500 Discover 25,100, Chase Reserve -31,000 Total Rewards 13200, Barclay 10000 Citi Diamond P 8,900
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do it... Do it.. Do it..Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 14
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

@Fico2Go - yeah you hit it on the nail. I am salivating for the card because it would "feel good" to have this bad boy take up a slot in my wallet. But I could really do without it.

@jsucool76, Yes-Its-Me - I knew it was a bad move to take a peek at the forum during the holidays!

@aav - yeah that AF is like a horse pill. Just don't have enough reasons to justify it so I can click the submit button right now.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've also been having this debate. The card is sexy as hell, and I wouldn't mind the AF if I actually used the benefits. I'm trying to rationalize applying for that card in my mind and I'm having trouble making the math work out. As it stands, I might be sticking with my original plan and get the Marriott Rewards Premiere for the free annual room. If the RC also had the free annual room, that would be enough to push me over the edge.

Message 7 of 14
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@TravellingNomad wrote:

I think you've laid out exactly why you don't need the card.

You don't/rarely stay at Ritz

- No use the for upgrade certs

- No use for $100 credit

You don't/rarely fly

- No use for $300 airline reimbursement

- No use for airport lounge access

Gold status

- Only real benefit is concierge lounge access (i.e. free breakfast) IMO

- $10K spending to keep could be put to use for better rewards (Marriott points are generally considered to be < $0.01)

So is 140,000 points worth $395 to you?

Message 8 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@TravellingNomad wrote:

- No use for $100 credit

You don't/rarely fly

Gold status

- $10K spending to keep could be put to use for better rewards (Marriott points are generally considered to be < $0.01)

If you travel rarely I would say the airport lounge access and incidental things become even MORE valuable. Because you probably don't have FF status that allots you free checked bags, and you probably dont want to pay for a lounge access program. If you have a family of four, at a conservative baggage fee of $25/bag, that's $100 each way. 

CL access is quite valuable, and marriott points can be worth far more than the 7/10 of a cent that TPG quotes them at. For my stay in march i'm getting about 1.5 cents per point worth of value. 

Message 9 of 14
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@TravellingNomad wrote:

- No use for $100 credit

You don't/rarely fly

Gold status

If you travel rarely I would say the airport lounge access and incidental things become even MORE valuable. Because you probably don't have FF status that allots you free checked bags, and you probably dont want to pay for a lounge access program. If you have a family of four, at a conservative baggage fee of $25/bag, that's $100 each way. 

The OP states "but with us not having any plans on flying any time soon", so paying $395 to offset bagge fees in case the family takes a flight within the next year?  Paying the AF for lounge access is even more shaky IMO, so if they travel and if the lounge is at an airport they'll use & the lounge is convenient/accessible to their gates.

CL access is quite valuable, What makes CL access valuable, above the free breakfast? and marriott points can be worth far more than the 7/10 of a cent that TPG quotes them at. For my stay in march i'm getting about 1.5 cents per point worth of value. Yes, they can be ... but on average they are worth < $0.01? The OP states "I'd rather pay $200-$250 for a room instead of $400 and use the savings as spending money for the kids"  True redemption value can only be measured if the OP would willing to pay the money for the room if points were not an option.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Ritz, I just apped for the card on this promotion.  But it was a good fit for me, as a FF.  By everything the OP has stated, most likely the only thing he would get out of it is 140,000 points for the $395 AF

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.