Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Santander Underwriting Call?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Santander Underwriting Call?

Hey all,

I applied on my last spree for the Sphere card in mid-november, went to a review message figured it was a denial, never received an AA action letter or heard anything from them. Then I received a phone call from their underwriting department today! More than a month later! By the time I got it the lady had already left here office so I will call back tomorrow, but has anyone had any experience with? As an approval in my future? EX was 689 when I applied its 705 now. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Santander Underwriting Call?

I just made a post on this bank... the other card tho... the Bravo. Wondering if you got this and how you like the card? Customer service? Any red flags? Thx
Message 2 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just made a post on this bank... the other card tho... the Bravo. Wondering if you got this and how you like the card? Customer service? Any red flags? Thx

I'd say it's a bit of a red flag that it's taken over a month to make a decision on a credit card app! 

Message 3 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all,

I applied on my last spree for the Sphere card in mid-november, went to a review message figured it was a denial, never received an AA action letter or heard anything from them. Then I received a phone call from their underwriting department today! More than a month later! By the time I got it the lady had already left here office so I will call back tomorrow, but has anyone had any experience with? As an approval in my future? EX was 689 when I applied its 705 now. 

I think it's a positive signal. Probably looking for income or identity verification, or has a question or two.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 14
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

30 days is not abnormal for Santander.

They take forever to manually review apps

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm......

Seems they do things the old way. No online apps... manual review approvals.

Some banks who take forever are good.

Took my US Bank 3 weeks for approval.

I'm still holding out for my BMW visa, and that is.... idk... maybe 6 weeks still. About 3-4 weeks in I got a request via us mail system for proof of addy.

So just because it is a long time approval doesn't necessarily mean stay away.

That being said I have read other thing about this bank... but the stories are conflicting. Some say hell no and some say it's a good bank/card. I've yet to hear of someone who has the card but says stay away.

I made up my mind on this card already though... but it's always good IMO to have more data points.
Message 6 of 14
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Same thing happened to my son. He had to speak with UW... it was an approval though. I believe he said it was 5 weeks from app till when he got the card. He applied online though, apparently you could at one point earlier this year (card was issued in March)
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Santander Underwriting Call? UPDATE: 2 MONTHS LATER APPROVED!

Update! This has been my longest approval ever, literally about 2 months since I applied and I just got the credit card "pin" in the mail today. Called in today to see what was going on as they denied me a checking account (was trying to get the bonus) because I lived to far away from their "footprint" okay cool.... well anyway long story short 3 weeks ago got a denial letter for the credit card app saying they were unable to verify my address and that was the only reason, so I rolled the dice sent a copy of my Driver License and Lease Agreement back to the Credit Card appeal address. The approval is for the Sphere card with a measly $1,200 limit but at least I have a MC in my profile now and hopefully can convince them to hook me up with the checking account now that I have a relationship with them. I am also excited to have a card that does not have a Chip in it! The lady I spoke with said they didn't have any plans to put chips in the card either, praise! Looking forward to using this card just so I can get that sastifying "swipe" feel. 

Promo with the card is 24 months 0% APR BT, 12 months 0% on purchases, and 10,000 points after $1k spend so not bad, certainly would prefer to have a bigger limit but it will grow in time hopefully. 

Message 8 of 14
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Congrats! Not an easy approval with this bank.

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@woodyman100 wrote:

Congrats! Not an easy approval with this bank.

Thanks, that is what I have heard and experienced franky surprised I was approved lol!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.