Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping Cart Trick Questions

tag
AlreadyObssessed
Established Member

Re: Shopping Cart Trick Questions

I had success with Victoria's Secret, Express, and the Loft. I got the pop up from VS first. I got the other two about a week or two later. I only had a Capital One secured card with $200CL for a couple months when I received the pop-ups. I just started my rebuilding process after a foreclosure in 2012.
Taking it one day at a time.
Message 11 of 27
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

I didn't have any problem getting express and the loft to pop up for me but could NOT get VS!  My scores were in the 610 range at that time.  I finally had to do a HP for the VC card and then get the 7-10 msg.  When I received that in the mail it advised I needed to call in and confirm at which point I was approved for $500.00.  Good Luck in your journey it will happen for you just takes a little time! Smiley Wink

CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please don't overdo the SCT and get stuck with a lot of low limit store cards.  You'll regret it down the road

Message 13 of 27
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Please don't overdo the SCT and get stuck with a lot of low limit store cards.  You'll regret it down the road

THIS. Getting too many store cards with a thin file at 6 months was the worst mistake I made with my credit. It made it a pain to get in with Chase and Barclays later on and most of those cards I ended up closing months later.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

THIS. Getting too many store cards with a thin file at 6 months was the worst mistake I made with my credit. It made it a pain to get in with Chase and Barclays later on and most of those cards I ended up closing months later.

Lesson learned?

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha everyone,

I do not want another inquiry at all, thats why the SCT sounded so good. but I also understand these are toy cards with ridiculous APR, these were the only 2 cards I would actually use since I shop regularly at these stores. I'm gonna try to fight the urge. I was just declined for chase even though I thought my 8 years with them could reconsider me they flat out denied me. Patience is surely a virtue I guess I don't possess.

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would get the Overstock card if you truly need, and are eligible for the SCT because they tend to have the highest limits.
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I would get the Overstock card if you truly need, and are eligible for the SCT because they tend to have the highest limits.

That one certainly is one of the better ones.   I was able to get a very nice CL with them of $12,000 that has jumped to $12,800 in two months. The others that are good are where you get a VISA instead of a store card.  Too many of them though are 200-750 CLs..  A couple are ok if you're rebuilding but it's when people go nutso on the SCT because it seems so easy that leads to problems.

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

not even overstock shows me the option for the SCT.... Im just so out of luck....

Message 19 of 27
elim
Senior Contributor

you only have 3 months history and have 4 credit lines. you're golden!!

3 more months and you may be able to get cards that will compliment your profile instead of adding more "retail accounts" to your reports. just wait it out. don't get any more store cards. IMO

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.