Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping Cart Trick...help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shopping Cart Trick...help?

I've seen people trying the shopping cart trick, especially for the Comenity cards. I've tried to trip it on a few different sites, but haven't gotten lucky. I'd love either a VS or an Overstock with that soft pull...any special ways to get it to pop up?
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Shopping Cart Trick...help?

@Anonymous wrote:
I've seen people trying the shopping cart trick, especially for the Comenity cards. I've tried to trip it on a few different sites, but haven't gotten lucky. I'd love either a VS or an Overstock with that soft pull...any special ways to get it to pop up?

The information needs to be entered exactly as it is on your credit reports; also your score might need to be a bit higher.  I would proceed cautiously with Comenity Bank.  The SCT has been known to backfire if you try to get too many accounts that way.

Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read on here often about how the SCT backfires, but I have never read any explanation of how. I'm not doubting it. I just wonder how. I'm sure others are fairly new like me and wonder since that statement is posted so often. Obviously a person doesn't need to do it just to get cards, but I don't see how it hurts if it's something you can use.
Message 3 of 32
nupey10
Regular Contributor

As you have probably read on the forums, clear out your browers history, cookies, etc. each time you apply.  I even restarted after each time.  It finally came up after a few days for Wayfair and I got an email from Overstock and Jcrew and a usps from Sportsman.  Keep trying

Message 4 of 32
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I read on here often about how the SCT backfires, but I have never read any explanation of how. I'm not doubting it. I just wonder how. I'm sure others are fairly new like me and wonder since that statement is posted so often. Obviously a person doesn't need to do it just to get cards, but I don't see how it hurts if it's something you can use.

The problem a lot of people run into is that it isn't just the ones they can use that they take.  Quite a few people have gotten the first one someplace they can use and then start looking for them to keep feeling that rush of approval.  Then they end up with a bunch of cards they aren't going to use and can't get cards from the banks that would really be useful to them.  It can also raise your insurance rates, when the insurance companies look at your CR they start taking points off for every store card you have over either one or two.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got J Crew, Express and Pottery Barn, Victoria Secret to pop up by putting something in shopping cart and checking out as guest.  I didn't accept Victoria Secret as I have no need for it. Overstock would not pop up for me so for giggles I changed my first name to my wifes first name and it popped up which I declined as well.  I am guessing if you don't meet their criteria you aren't going to get the pop-up. 

Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Because many will get addicted to the thrill of the approval and won't stop........multiple Sct cards with low limits just because of the thrill that they will close once their profile supports. At times they will get shut down because of a ton of approvals in a short time frame. Or the worse fate imo.....low limit hades (I was there a long time ago, not fun with most of your cards at $500 or less).

Im in favor of moderation...if you MUST get a Sct cc, only get one to help you establish revolving credit. Then focus on cards that can help you build a SOLID foundation vs cards you will close or they will close with in a year. 

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

My opinion, and this comes from not listening to this and getting tons of store cards when I had bad credit......

Anyone with scores under 600 should get 3 Store cards MAX-probably only 1 or 2.....and only at stores you shop at, and only cards you truly want when you have good scores and are getting prime cards. Ask if you will use the VS or Overstock card once you have Discover and Amex? If not, don't apply. You will regret it if you can't answer yes to that question.

Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll share my techniques with you.  I used it successfully several times when my scores were in the 625 ranges.

I used a different browser than my usual one, like Firefox.  I used the 'Private' or 'Incognito' mode.

I added thing(s) to the shopping cart that I genuinely wanted.  Some people have a theory that if you add lots of things to the cart, you'll get a larger starting line.  I didnt test this, I usually put in 50 to 100.

I would type slowly as I checked out as a guest.  The contact information you input has to match what is in your CR with the bureaus.  You cant be in the 'opt out' mode with the CBs.

I would use the tab key to move between fields when checking out, and if it asked if I wanted to sign up for emails, I did.

If it didnt give me a pop up with credit card info, I would use the 'X" at the top of the browser and just abandon the cart.  I didnt check again for at least a week.

I have read that others have loaded up the shopping carts with hundreds of dollars of merchandise and then after being approved, deleted everything before checking out.  I always purchased something if they gave me a card.

I used the SCT to get Overstock, Sportsmans Guide Visa, and Modell Visa.  I got one INQ from Modell's on EQ, the others were both SPs.  My lowest SL was 2k, highest was 4.5k.  I still have all three cards.

HTH

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

unless you use that account a lot you shouldn't get it just because it pops up...it ruins your credit. all those silly store cards look bad.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.