Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping Cart Trick...help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Shopping Cart Trick...help?

I've only tried the SCT 3 times and was given an offer all three times ... J Crew (1k), VS (350.00), Williams Sonoma (they decide if you qualify for either a store card or a visa ... I was approved for the Visa with 2k CL). 

My technique was to use an incognito browser, add around 100.00 of stuff to the cart, checkout at 'guest', and fill out checkout forms with information consistent with my credit reports. On the last page of checkout (payment page) I got the pop up asking for further info. I accepted the J Crew and WS offers (not the VS offer) ... and then didn't continue checkout from that point. Within 8-10 days later I received the cards. 

Note re: Williams Somona SCT ... they ask for full social security number but you can submit the form only putting in the last 4 digits (as some sites on the web suggest doing). Be warned, they will still do a hard pull even if you only input last 4 digits.

Message 11 of 32
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Note re: Williams Somona SCT ... they ask for full social security number but you can submit the form only putting in the last 4 digits (as some sites on the web suggest doing). Be warned, they will still do a hard pull even if you only input last 4 digits.

They do a hard pull, but only if you are offered a visa. They don't hard pull for the store card.

Message 12 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried the SCT with Overstock no hard pull and Sportsman guide Visa and no hard pull....Gander Mountain Mastercard was a hard pull even if it says pre-approved like me....

Message 13 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got an Overstock store card last night and the SL (as I've been told) is pretty spectacular for a SP - $4000. I think the ding to my AAoA will be pretty well offset by the dramatic skyrocket in my total revolving credit and available credit! My path was a little differeht, because I got a preapproval offer in my email on Thursday. I had to think about for it for a couple of days and solicit some people's advice, but I'm glad I did it now and now I'm going right back into the garden to nurture this fine new seedling along with my other accounts until I'm ready to go Visa-hunting in the fall.

I do concur with other people regarding the dangers of applying for too many cards with the SCT, and I'm amazed it hasn't been curtailed or outright shut down yet because of all the trouble people have run into from getting too enthusiastic about using it.. I would only apply for a very few cards - Paypal Credit is the only other Comenity card I'm really interested in, and I'm going to be watching to see if they send me a preapproved offer for that too - from stores that you expect to buy things from regularly, and then follow all the other rules about proper credit management.

Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just a Got a Barclays cash forward card last month so I have to be super careful so no more accepting any store cards ect....they will cancel or lower you CL by a lot for even breathing wrong.

Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

For VS I cleared browser, put around 50$ in my cart, proceeded as guest, entered the exact address I had on CR and the pop up happened. I was able to do the exact same steps and get my mother one too. VS was easier.

For Wayfair, I had to go incognito add a large furniture item, go through checkout process, start to enter credit card # then it popped up. It took a week though.

For Overstock (I personally declined, did this one for my mom after I figured out how it worked). You should create an account and use the address on your CR, go shopping add about 100$ to cart, sign in and then it will pop up once you confirm prepopulated address information.

When I started to get credit back in January my scores were in the lower 600's [620-630] from being on a auto loan my parents consigned on so I'm not sure if you need lower 600's to get it to pop up or not. I was lucky with sequence of apps I did back then added my store cards last so I was able to get other cards without repercussions of having a lot of store cards in my profile.

I think that backfiring comes mostly from two scenarios getting store cards 2+ and then a Visa card from the same bank (Comenity/Synchrony) and/or applying for 2+ cards and getting approved for other cards accruing inquires then applying for another store card or Visa which has them SP again drawing attention to the new inquires.

Just speculation from the threads I've read and of course it's not for all cases but those situations seem to heavily trigger the AA/blue envelope.
Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
For VS I cleared browser, put around 50$ in my cart, proceeded as guest, entered the exact address I had on CR and the pop up happened. I was able to do the exact same steps and get my mother one too. VS was easier.

For Wayfair, I had to go incognito add a large furniture item, go through checkout process, start to enter credit card # then it popped up. It took a week though.

For Overstock (I personally declined, did this one for my mom after I figured out how it worked). You should create an account and use the address on your CR, go shopping add about 100$ to cart, sign in and then it will pop up once you confirm prepopulated address information.

When I started to get credit back in January my scores were in the lower 600's [620-630] from being on a auto loan my parents consigned on so I'm not sure if you need lower 600's to get it to pop up or not. I was lucky with sequence of apps I did back then added my store cards last so I was able to get other cards without repercussions of having a lot of store cards in my profile.

I think that backfiring comes mostly from two scenarios getting store cards 2+ and then a Visa card from the same bank (Comenity/Synchrony) and/or applying for 2+ cards and getting approved for other cards accruing inquires then applying for another store card or Visa which has them SP again drawing attention to the new inquires.

Just speculation from the threads I've read and of course it's not for all cases but those situations seem to heavily trigger the AA/blue envelope.

+1. Also, applying for those cards within too short a timespan will raise the likelihood of something being triggered. This is one reason that I've tried to put as much space between my card apps since last November as possible. I think a lot of us will also agree that it's less than ideal to put too many of your credit-portfolio eggs in one basket; I personally would be cautious about getting more than 2 or 3 cards from any one issuer, depending on what they offered.

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not true. I got both the sportsman visa and total rewards visa....both through sct over 3 months ago and neither did a hard pull on my credit.

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Total rewards is hit or miss....I know alot of people that had a hard pull and a lot of people they did a soft pull.

Message 19 of 32
peghede
Valued Contributor

how u trigger the total rewards ? im not getting  it just for fun to see the offer.lol

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.