Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Established Member

Shopping Cart Trick is BS!!!!

I recently applied for a Wayfair Credit Card after reading numerous posts about "The Shopping Cart Trick" At Checkout there was a pop up to apply for their credit card. And sure enough it only asked me for the last 4 of my social. But it gave me a 7-10 message and immediately I was notified through my credit monitoring that I had a hard pull through Equifax. The only reason I tried was because from what I read was that Comenity Bank only does soft pulls through this method. So I would beware if you are going to be applying for Comenity Bank CCs thinking it's a soft pull. My Equifax score dropped 4 points because of it, and I wasn't really wanting the card that bad. Just thought it would be useful for furniture purchases. If I would have known it was a hard pull I would have put it off.

Senior Contributor

Re: Shopping Cart Trick is BS!!!!

Sorry to hear. But its a good lesson to learn that never fully trust a card will be sp when applying even if its a general conception. Its always a risk of hp when applying for credit and if the risk is too much , dont apply. The sct is kind of trap some times in that it gets people to apply but then later on can be a downfall for many.
Valued Member

I tried Overstock last month cause wifey shops there and it works gave me $3k.... no HP...

Havent tried wayfair , Total rewards visa nor William Sonoma Visa yet .. the only ones im interested in...lol

Valued Member

No matter the scenario, always expect a HP regardless of credit card and who issues it, and be joyful when it turns out to be a SP.
Valued Contributor

Im a huge opponent of the shopping cart trick for many reasons, but I will stay on topic. 

A good general rule to follow: if it's not a card you are willing to take an hp to get, don't get it. 

I will admit, at the beginning of my rebuild, I was SO tempted because I wanted more lines of credit, but I kept going back to the rule in my head. One year later, im so thankful I stood firm. 

BK 5-2012 Revolving Rebuild Started 6-2016
AMEX ED & SPG | BOA CR | PenFed PC | NFCU FLAGSHIP | Discover IT | CapitalOne QS | LOWES | Barclays AVIATOR
Valued Member

If it said you were pre-approved it would have been a SP more than likely, but if it was just a pop up asking you to apply then it would have been a HP. Did it specifically say you were pre-approved?

06/12/2017 FICOs: TU: 542 EX: 538 EQ: 528
07/19/2017 FICOs: TU: 564 EX: 564 EQ: ???
Fingerhut: $500 | B of A 99/500: $500 | Discover It Secured: $200 | Simply Be: $200 | NY&C SCT: $250 | JD Williams SCT: $200
Valued Member

[ Edited ]

SHOCKNU wrote:

I recently applied for a Wayfair Credit Card after reading numerous posts about "The Shopping Cart Trick" At Checkout there was a pop up to apply for their credit card. And sure enough it only asked me for the last 4 of my social. But it gave me a 7-10 message and immediately I was notified through my credit monitoring that I had a hard pull through Equifax. The only reason I tried was because from what I read was that Comenity Bank only does soft pulls through this method. So I would beware if you are going to be applying for Comenity Bank CCs thinking it's a soft pull. My Equifax score dropped 4 points because of it, and I wasn't really wanting the card that bad. Just thought it would be useful for furniture purchases. If I would have known it was a hard pull I would have put it off.

Like the poster above mentioned, if it says pre approved, should be a SP. If it is an offer to apply, will be a HP. I got the SCT pop up on Wayfair for pre approval and was approved for 2k with a SP.

Let me also reiterate what many have said....only get a card you plan to use. I order from Wayfair so this card made sense for me. Plan to use it to pay for a few orders a year, PIF and hopefully the CL will grow.

EQ 711 EX 706 TU 709 FICO 8 (7/2017) USAA Rewards VISA Signature 12k | Discover it 2.2k | Amex BCE 2k | Citi Diamond Preferred MC 2k | Paypal Extras MC 5k | Firestone 2.2k | Wayfair 2k | Target Redcard 300
Established Member

Have you checked all 3 bureaus? Overstock asks for the entire SS number. Wayfair only asks for the last 4. I've never had a hard pull done without supplying my full social until now. Do you have any other Comenity Cards? 

Established Contributor

well m8 hope u get the card since now u have hp,

Frequent Contributor

The members of this site, me included, blew up the SCT secret and forced Comenity to re-think their whole strategy.

I once had 12 Comenity cards, I now have two Comenity cobranded cards.  As soon as I make a $100 PIF on my Total Rewards Visa that one's gone also.

Last Comenity SCT I tried was Boscovs.  It said I was "pre-screened".  Never had seen that terminology before.

Comenity helped me obtain a thick credit file to get all the major bank CCs I could ever want.

I can't believe I even went after the Wayfair, Lenovo, HSN, or Eddie Bauer cards but I did.  I turned it into a positive experience.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.