Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping Cart Trick

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shopping Cart Trick

Hello care to share its my first time on this forum what is the info and what do they mean by shopping cart trick? I dont  have a good credit that is why its hard for me to get acredit card any suggestion would help. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Shopping Cart Trick

Hello Ilovehellokitty, the shopping cart trick is where if you go to Victoria's Secret for instance and you add an item to your shopping cart and PRETEND as if you are going to purchase that item, in some cases you will get a POPUP offer that will offer you some sort of pre-approval.  There is actually a site on the forums that lists all of the stores that offer the shopping cart trick.  I know that VSecret, JCREW, New York & Company, Express are some of the ones that are famous for the shopping cart trick.  Keep in mind that if your credit is not good, more than likely they will start you with a very low limit, but that's okay because as long as you never make any late payments and do not run your card up to the maximum, in fact, if your credit limit is 250, don't put more than 50 on your card at one time and then pay it off completely before the bill comes this will help to build your credit up.  I hope this helps you, take care!

Message 2 of 6
creditlady43
Regular Contributor

Congrats Ilovehello kitty, ihavegoodcredit43 gave you good advice, go to some of the sites mentioned and try your luck and this post back here to let us know what happened.  By the way, what are your credit scores across the board, this will better help us to see where you are right now and what you should be focusing on.  Good luck!

Navy Fed Sig. Visa ($27,500)|BlueGreen Encore Rewards ($10,000)|CapitalOne ($6,950)|Discover ($1,000)
Starting Equifax Score: 520 (5/2014) - Current Score: 726
Starting Transunion Score: 613 (5/2014) - Current Score: 733
Starting Experian: 595 - Current Score: 742
Message 3 of 6
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello care to share its my first time on this forum what is the info and what do they mean by shopping cart trick? I dont  have a good credit that is why its hard for me to get acredit card any suggestion would help. Thanks in advance.

its on sites like vicoria secret (commenity backed cards) that do a soft pull on your credit after you put in your information. you do not have to have good credit to get approved for them, the downside is that if you open a bunch of low limit cards such as these it can hurt you in the future...

Message 4 of 6
DeadlyPersona
Frequent Contributor

Some people tend to frown on the Shopping Cart Trick (SCT) but I will tell you as a person that did not have ANY credit that I will speak only positive things about the SCT.  Yes, you may start out with low limits, however, if you use your cards wisely and PIF every month, those low limits will increase to higher limits.  Some people on the forums call these cards "toy cards".  Again, I love my cards because they are beneficial and I only do the SCT for those stores that I frequent often and that offer great deals, discounts, and coupons.

Good luck in your credit journey Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeadlyPersona wrote:

Some people tend to frown on the Shopping Cart Trick (SCT) but I will tell you as a person that did not have ANY credit that I will speak only positive things about the SCT.  Yes, you may start out with low limits, however, if you use your cards wisely and PIF every month, those low limits will increase to higher limits.  Some people on the forums call these cards "toy cards".  Again, I love my cards because they are beneficial and I only do the SCT for those stores that I frequent often and that offer great deals, discounts, and coupons.

Good luck in your credit journey Smiley Happy

The important thing is to start jettisoning some of these cards as they fall out of use and or don't grow. Never spend on a SCT card for the sake of spending to try to "buy" a CLI.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.