Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping Cart Trick

tag
PrinceCorwin
Regular Contributor

Re: Shopping Cart Trick

So I researched the SCT and know how to do it buy still wondering if you actually need to make a purchase during the process to get a card.

Message 21 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on the store.  Some people on some stores accepted the credit line but didn't make a purchase.

Not a lot of data points overall, though.  Comenity has different rules for different store cards for sure.

Message 22 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Overstock didn't require a purchase when I got my card Saturday evening. The preapproval popup appeared when I went to my cart (I had been ready to input the code I got in the preapproval email I received Thursday), and the process went to completion from there without my needing to buy anything; the card was loaded into my account and ready for use when I refreshed the cart page.

Message 23 of 80
PrinceCorwin
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Overstock didn't require a purchase when I got my card Saturday evening. The preapproval popup appeared when I went to my cart (I had been ready to input the code I got in the preapproval email I received Thursday), and the process went to completion from there without my needing to buy anything; the card was loaded into my account and ready for use when I refreshed the cart page.

did you check out as a guest or with an account?

Message 24 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PrinceCorwin wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

did you check out as a guest or with an account?

I've actually had an Overstock account since 2007, though I hadn't used it in literally years. Several months ago, I decided to experiment with the SCT on Overstock - I got the popup but realized I still had my old address in my account information, went back to change it to my current address, and from that moment on I couldn't get the preapproval popup to come up again until Saturday night (and I think it came up because I was already selected, hence the preapproval email I got on Thursday).
Generally, you need to create an account and load your cart as a member of the store in question in order for the SCT to be able to work.

Message 25 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

victoria I got mine with out completing the purchase. 

New yor the same. 

Hsn not sure if would have been the same as I made a purchase when getting that one. 

Message 26 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't get the SCT to work ANYWHERE. I've tried every name and address combination from every credit report on every site I'm interested in, and nothing. Comenity must hate me or something, which is strange because I don't recall ever having any accounts with Comenity of any kind.

My husband, on the other hand, got popups for J. Crew, Boscov's and (haha) Victoria's Secret. He only accepted the VS card so I could occasionally use it at BBW, because literally the only thing I can wear from VS is their lipstick and perfume. LOL 

I just feel frustrated. His scores are only slightly higher than mine, but I DO have a very high tax lien on my CR thanks to my ex. It's one I could never hope to pay off in a lifetime, so it's not coming off there. But I didn't think they could see detailed stuff like that on a SP?

I REALLY want HSN so I can finance a laptop and a camera for my business. I have the BoA 99/500 cart, which I just recently got, as well as the Discover IT Secured card with a $200 limit, but neither can remotely finance what I need. And I don't want to ask my husband to finance either for me because he already financed me an iPad Pro last Mother's Day (2016) and it's not fully paid for.

Message 27 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't get the SCT to work ANYWHERE. I've tried every name and address combination from every credit report on every site I'm interested in, and nothing. Comenity must hate me or something, which is strange because I don't recall ever having any accounts with Comenity of any kind.

My husband, on the other hand, got popups for J. Crew, Boscov's and (haha) Victoria's Secret. He only accepted the VS card so I could occasionally use it at BBW, because literally the only thing I can wear from VS is their lipstick and perfume. LOL 

I just feel frustrated. His scores are only slightly higher than mine, but I DO have a very high tax lien on my CR thanks to my ex. It's one I could never hope to pay off in a lifetime, so it's not coming off there. But I didn't think they could see detailed stuff like that on a SP?

I REALLY want HSN so I can finance a laptop and a camera for my business. I have the BoA 99/500 cart, which I just recently got, as well as the Discover IT Secured card with a $200 limit, but neither can remotely finance what I need. And I don't want to ask my husband to finance either for me because he already financed me an iPad Pro last Mother's Day (2016) and it's not fully paid for.

Technical question: are you absolutely sure you haven't cleared your browser cache, or that you don't have some kind of popup blocker on? Issues like that that one isn't necessarily aware of can sometimes keep the SCT from coming up for reasons that have nothing whatever to do with credit or finance.

SP's actually do show all the same information that would appear on a HP. The difference is that SP's don't affect your credit score when they're performed, and can be done for a wide variety of reasons; HP's are only done when a potential lender is evaluating your creditworthiness. That means that tax lien, and any other derogatory information on your CR, would be visible to Comenity's computers (and it's all done by computers at that stage).

Message 28 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Technical question: are you absolutely sure you haven't cleared your browser cache, or that you don't have some kind of popup blocker on? Issues like that that one isn't necessarily aware of can sometimes keep the SCT from coming up for reasons that have nothing whatever to do with credit or finance.

SP's actually do show all the same information that would appear on a HP. The difference is that SP's don't affect your credit score when they're performed, and can be done for a wide variety of reasons; HP's are only done when a potential lender is evaluating your creditworthiness. That means that tax lien, and any other derogatory information on your CR, would be visible to Comenity's computers (and it's all done by computers at that stage).

Yes. After being unsuccessful at every store I tried for hours, I used the exact same browser and they popped up immediately at several stores for my husband. It's not a technical thing, I'm pretty sure. I even tried from my phone and tablet and still no luck anywhere.

I just feel like Comenity hates me for some reason, and I really can't figure out why unless it's the tax lien. Because my scores and my husband's scores are extremely similar. his EQ is 1 point higher than mine and his TU is 10 points higher. Not sure about EX.

Message 29 of 80
VipreArmed
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes. After being unsuccessful at every store I tried for hours, I used the exact same browser and they popped up immediately at several stores for my husband. It's not a technical thing, I'm pretty sure. I even tried from my phone and tablet and still no luck anywhere.

I just feel like Comenity hates me for some reason, and I really can't figure out why unless it's the tax lien. Because my scores and my husband's scores are extremely similar. his EQ is 1 point higher than mine and his TU is 10 points higher. Not sure about EX.

A friend of mine had a similar issue and she tried her maiden name and it started working.   Does your credit report have any other names listed for you?  Are you using addresses listed on your credit report (if they are different from where you are living)?  I know personally my Equifax only has an old address listed for me and I've moved twice since then.  

From what I've read on this forum, sometimes it can be as tricky as adding/removing a middle initial or your previous address not being reported right or updated.  If your scores are similar to your husband, outside of a bad previous history with Comenity, it would seem like it's just not finding your info for a SP or you opted out of SCT offers.  

AMEX Blue Cash | Capital One Platinum | OverStock CC | Quiksilver | Walmart | VS Angel Card | 24k Student Loans |

Starting Scores: 4/1/2017 EQ: 623 TU: 644 EX: 661
10/30/2017 EQ: 641 TU: 681 EX: 695
Goal: 720 EQ-TU-EX

Gardening till April 2018!

Message 30 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.