cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping cart trick work for you?? Please add to list!

tag
stefnian0426
Regular Contributor

Shopping cart trick work for you?? Please add to list!

Hi all,

I am making this post to explain the shopping cart trick.

The shopping cart trick is from what i gathered mostly comenity bank cards. (not all of them)

Go to there store, add items into your cart, go check out and put in your info (as it appears on your credit report)

If that store approves you, you will recieve a pop up (or maybe a new screen) which says you are pre approved. It will have your brief info and ask you to type in your last 4 digits of your social. Some stores will say how much you are approved on the pop up (some dont)

PLEASE READ THIS=

-PRE APPROVAL- (which is what i am talking about) is when it says you have been PRE APPROVED (again might say amount) and asks you to ONLY TYPE IN LAST 4 DIGITS OF SOCIAL- this is what you want if you do not want it to show up on your credit report

-PRE QUALIFY- this is when you have to bascially fill out a app. (type in more then the last 4 digits of social) THIS WILL SHOW UP ON YOUR CREDIT REPORT AS IT IS A HARD PULL

i see many people who think they are the same.. THEY ARE NOT!

not everyone will get the pre approval. If you dont, you can try in a week or maybe you need to opt in (google opt in/opt out) it is a site where you can choose whether you want to recieve offers of credit ect.

If you have tried this trick..PLEASE  let us know if it has worked. I would like to get a complete list of stores to make it easier for those who wish to try, to find.

Myself, i got the pre approval for,

1. victoria secret (this is usually the most easiet store from what i have heard)  $500 credit limit

2. king size direct $250 limit (can also be used at 1 stop shop, brylane home and there other sister stores)

-i also have a mandees store card but i got that one instore $300 limit

i made accounts for both of mine before i got the pop up, not sure if that makes a difference.

Message 1 of 259
258 REPLIES 258
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

Re: Shopping cart trick work for you?? Please add to list!

I tried www.vitacost.com and got the pop out but declined as it offers mastercard. I have too many mastercard already!

I did the shopping cart trick with https://www.sportsmansguide.com/ last night and got the pop up for their visa card. I accepted the offer and only needed to type in the last 4 digit of my ssn. Got approved for 2.5k.  Didnt purchase anything....

Message 2 of 259
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Not sure but read some posts that to get the MasterCard versions you have to add a certain dollar number, 200 or more? to trigger those pop ups?

So far for me no popup at all for their MasterCard preapprovals, FRN fuel rewards, sportsmans guide, my points, vitacost. Zilch, nada.

On the flip side i got preapproved popup and nice SL's all over 500 for all their catalog store cards, and still get them. I have 2 letters from first class paper mails on some i didn't finish on purpose since i have enough Comenity store cards with decent SL's as it is. Even J.Crew already did a CLI to 800 and not even had the card 1 week!
Message 3 of 259
stefnian0426
Regular Contributor

@RCFL wrote:

I tried www.vitacost.com and got the pop out but declined as it offers mastercard. I have too many mastercard already!

I did the shopping cart trick with https://www.sportsmansguide.com/ last night and got the pop up for their visa card. I accepted the offer and only needed to type in the last 4 digit of my ssn. Got approved for 2.5k.  Didnt purchase anything....

I really want the sportsmans guide card. I have yet to see the pop up but keep trying!

Message 4 of 259
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

I didnt get it the first few times too. Some other people here said it was 'random' pop up and i think its true. The first few times i did it, i added the membership and $2000 worth of items, NO POP UP and I did that a few time. Finally, yesterday I added one item which was worth about $130 and i got the pop up. Got it immediately because i needed a visa. Planning on asking for a credit line increase when i call in to activate it. Waiting for it.. should be here in a week or so....

and also i got the pop up for vitacost on the first try (last week)  but I declned it because it was a Mastercard( i have like 3 mastercards - 1 visa) - but now i want it.. no pop up for me so far...still trying the site from time to time in hope of getting lucky :-D Good luck guys !

Message 5 of 259
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

OP, here is something you can refer to.  The shopping cart trick has been discussed a whole lot here.  But this should give you a wealth of information.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/List-Of-Shopping-Cart-Trick-Credit-Cards/m-p/2325199/hi...

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 6 of 259
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I got the Sprotsman's Guide popup after adding the membership and some merchanside to the cart and filling out the information to check out as a guest.

For the popup for the MyPoints Visa I had to fully fill out my user profile and indicate that the way I would prefer to earn points was by shopping offline.  As soon as I indicated this preference I got the popup.  It was an awful $250 limit on this one, however, and they will blow your email up with spam.  I closed the account after only one month.

Message 7 of 259
fedxboy
Established Contributor

@RCFL wrote:

I didnt get it the first few times too. Some other people here said it was 'random' pop up and i think its true. The first few times i did it, i added the membership and $2000 worth of items, NO POP UP and I did that a few time. Finally, yesterday I added one item which was worth about $130 and i got the pop up. Got it immediately because i needed a visa. Planning on asking for a credit line increase when i call in to activate it. Waiting for it.. should be here in a week or so....

and also i got the pop up for vitacost on the first try (last week)  but I declned it because it was a Mastercard( i have like 3 mastercards - 1 visa) -but now i want it.. no pop up for me so far...still trying the site from time to time in hope of getting lucky :-D Good luck guys !

The same thing happened to me when I got the pop-up in Jan -- I declined it and like you, decided that I really wanted it.  I tried every day practically for almost a monthSmiley Sad and no pop up.   Unlike the sportsman guide, when I declined that one, I had no problem getting that one to reappear.    I then got aggravated and decided to app for the card and take a HP, but to my surprise -- I got the 7-10 message.

I then tried to sign into the account without the card number (just to see)  and it let me set everything up (bank acct) and I seen my limit of 7.5k.  It's almost a week and still no HP.  I assume they used my SP pre-approval.

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 8 of 259
Mellykca
New Contributor

Using the shopping cart trick I have gotten: 

Victoria's Secret - $350 

The Buckle - $250 

Woman Within - $250 

Linen Source - $200

Message 9 of 259
alvon123
Super Contributor

I got the pop up for the Total rewards card (it took a while)

Recieved a pop up for the Sportsman guide card (took 6 months, i did not accept it (wanted to get cli's on my other cards before i pulled the trigger).

Since i didnt accept the online preapproval offer at that time Sportmans then mailed out a preapproval letter to my home.

Message 10 of 259
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.