cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I app for/Would I get approved for threads...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I app for/Would I get approved for threads...

Try finding info for the discover it miles card on the credit pulls database. That site doesn't have everything, although it has a lot. For my state, I couldn't tell you who would get approved on that site for the miles card. I think some people may need reassurance from people who have more knowledge at times.
Message 11 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

In 10 seconds I found 16 data points for Discover It Miles on the credit pulls database.

Reassurance is fine, but those people fall into the 1/10 I was referring to in the original post, not the other 9/10.

Message 12 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

While the credit pulls database provides some useful information, it certainly isnt the end all of information regarding a person's chances of being approved.  You can only gain so much data from that site and the selective people that decide to provide their results.

There is nothing wrong with a poster asking for guidance here and as long as they are intelligent enough to realize that replies to their questions arent definitive answers either, then they certainly can be helpful.  If a poster provides adequate info regarding existing credit, AAoA, credit limits, any baddies, income, etc, etc, then the posters here with experience can give them useful information about their approval chances far more than looking at the CB database which for the most part just provides the scores of those approved or denied.  Credit scores as most people are aware are just one component of a person's credit profile and only one factor in your overall chances of being approved for a paericular card.

In no way are we going to discourage people from asking about their chances.  That certainly is one of the important functions this forum provides.

Message 13 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

16 is not a lot in comparison to other cards. And in my state, there are only a couple. I'm not going to assume my approval odds on one or two scores. I've read some threads on it, but I'm gonna be basically taking a shot in the dark when apping for it. My 6 months of waiting ends March. I guess I just go for it.
Message 14 of 48
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

If you just search for Discover you'll be fine... same criteria for both cards.  Like Searching for Chase, BOA, Barclay, etc.

Message 15 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Austin, I had done that, but other threads seem to have suggested that the underwriting was more strict for miles. Perhaps, loosened now. But even searching all discover in my state, the cra they pull is all over the place. So I couldn't tell you what they are going to do. Possibly ex or a combo ex and eq. Not really sure.
Message 16 of 48
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

As we all know from lingering around here for more than 5 minutes any application can result in a pull from any of the 3 CRAs or all of them.  In TX I got pulled on EX and others said EQ in other places and some even TU.  It's a roll of the dice when you app.  The only for sure thing seems to be AMEX and EX pulls.  Cap1 is all 3.  And so on...  UW criteria doesn't seem to change much between different products but, if you're looking at say the Cap1 Platinum which has a minimum opening limit of $300 if you take the time to read the T&C before hitting submit vs the QS at $3000 or the Venture at $5000 you would get an inkling of different UW standards for each step up the level.  

Message 17 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In no way are we going to discourage people from asking about their chances.  That certainly is one of the important functions this forum provides.

I think you and multiple others in this thread are completely misunderstanding this thread and my stance.

At no point did I ever suggest that people shouldn't ask about their chances or even suggest that people shouldn't start the types of threads that I referenced in this thread title.  What I did say is that my opinion and response 90% of the time to such threads is to WAIT (don't app).  Again, my opinion is to hold off on apping.  My opinion isn't to not start a thread or ask.  Certainly there will be people that do reply to such threads and say "go for it" which is the converse to my recommendation... but I'm just summing up my personal perspective with respect to these types of threads.  Hopefully that clears it up.

Message 18 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
16 is not a lot in comparison to other cards.

I agree with that.  However, those 16 data points will likely provide you with far more real data than a thread on this forum would get you with maybe 2 or 3 Discover It Miles card holders chiming in with their approval/denial info.  Again, not saying that you shouldn't hypothetically start a thread... just saying that the CPDB even as limited as it may be with respect to the card in question would undoubtedly provide you with more real data points.

Message 19 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd agree with you there. I can't say the community would have more answers unless they were willing to compare data points, which is what I'd likely be looking for. That, or if someone had a better suggestion for a card or maybe someone advising against the app altogether.
Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.