Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for Citi TY?

tag
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Should I apply for Citi TY?

Got a mailer today saying I'm "pre-selected to apply" for the ThankYou Preferred card. It does offer me a specific APR of 19.99%, rather than a range. I'm on the fence because:

I've had a Citi Dividend card since 2005, and they've kept me at a 2500 CL since 2006. Have asked for CLIs every 90 days for the past 2 yrs and been denied every time. Each time the letter cites a "delinquent credit obligation, paid or unpaid."

My Dividend card was briefly closed back in 2007 due to payment issues, but I rehabbed it - perfect payment history since, and the lates from this card are not on my CR anymore

The big baddy on my CR is an unpaid auto CO for 19k from 2010. Last month the lender updated my CR and did it again this month, showing the 19k as a past due balance. My score dropped a lot at first, then bounced back pretty quick to the high 600s. Two other baddies are a paid CO to a cell phone company in 2010, and several 120-day lates on student loans (now paid in full) from 2008-09.

The main reason I'd be applying is to take advantage of the 0% for 15 months to pay off holiday spending. 

Any thoughts on whether I should go for it? My current util is about 40%. 3 INQs on EX, 2 on EQ. All INQs are at least 6 months old.

Starting score 3/30/13: 570s across the board
As of 2/17/18: EX 802 | EQ 809 | TU 811

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I apply for Citi TY?

@Jamex wrote:

Got a mailer today saying I'm "pre-selected to apply" for the ThankYou Preferred card. It does offer me a specific APR of 19.99%, rather than a range. I'm on the fence because:

I've had a Citi Dividend card since 2005, and they've kept me at a 2500 CL since 2006. Have asked for CLIs every 90 days for the past 2 yrs and been denied every time. Each time the letter cites a "delinquent credit obligation, paid or unpaid."

My Dividend card was briefly closed back in 2007 due to payment issues, but I rehabbed it - perfect payment history since, and the lates from this card are not on my CR anymore

The big baddy on my CR is an unpaid auto CO for 19k from 2010. Last month the lender updated my CR and did it again this month, showing the 19k as a past due balance. My score dropped a lot at first, then bounced back pretty quick to the high 600s. Two other baddies are a paid CO to a cell phone company in 2010, and several 120-day lates on student loans (now paid in full) from 2008-09.

The main reason I'd be applying is to take advantage of the 0% for 15 months to pay off holiday spending. 

Any thoughts on whether I should go for it? My current util is about 40%. 3 INQs on EX, 2 on EQ. All INQs are at least 6 months old.

They may deny you for that CO being updated along with the 40% util.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 3
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I apply for Citi TY?

Should have listened to ojefferyo. Applied, they HP'd EX and EQ, denied. 

I'll wait till I get my letter and then give recon a shot, but given what I've read about Citi I'm not too optimistic.

Back to rebuilding/gardening for a while.

Starting score 3/30/13: 570s across the board
As of 2/17/18: EX 802 | EQ 809 | TU 811

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.