Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for the AmEx PRG?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I apply for the AmEx PRG?

Hello!

Please go easy on me, since I'm new here 😅 although I've been lurking for a while.

Anyway, here's my FICO Score 8's:

EQ: 761

TU: 752
EX: 764

I have one charge off that I paid off in May 2015, and I've had one secured card from USAA with a CL of $1000. Income after taxes is $120K

I'm pre-approved via the AmEx site for the PRG, Blue Cash Everyday Card, Blue Preferred Everyday Card, and the AmEx Everyday Card.

I applied for the Blue Cash Everyday Card last month, and declined the application going through because I didn't want them to mail the credit card to the address I posted on my application (I'm not in the country at the moment). Still got the hard pull from it though. 

I travel frequently (I spend about 5-6 weeks in the US per year) so I figured the PRG would be best for me.

Should I go ahead and apply for the PRG? (using an updated address of course)

Also, what more will it take for me to qualify for the AmEx platinum card? CreditKarma says approval rating is "very good", but I know that that's not too reliable, figured I'd ask others before blindly applying sometime in the future

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I apply for the AmEx PRG?

You have better scores than me when AMEX sent me a reservation to aplly for the Platinum, so go for it.

Other stats when I got the Platinum include, Optima Platinum since 1998, and no balance on existing CCs. I only had 2 up to end of June.
Message 2 of 27
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

You have great score and dont rely on Credit Karma, they get paid when you apply for their clients cards. Really underwritting for all their charge cards are the same. Its rather, do you want to pay for gold or platinum. Both cards have nice perks.

Message 3 of 27
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

You look like you're already in incredible shape for the Amex Platinum, which might give you a lot of perks during your travels. I'd also look into the Chase Sapphire Reserve, since it provides a lot of protections and one of my favorite things about it is that it provides primary domestic rental car insurance which is less common among credit cards these days.

Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

are you sure that I'm in running to apply for an Amex Platinum, even though I have a derogatory mark on my credit account, and I've only had my secured card for two years? 

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to AmEx and complete their Pre-qualify page. I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got an Amex Platinum with scores in the low 600s last year. The PRG is a great card - go for it!
Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

just to clarify: I haven't been pre-approved for the Amex Platinum.. just the PDG

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

just to clarify: I haven't been pre-approved for the Amex Platinum.. just the PDG

if you pre-approved for the PRG, you'd likely be approved for the Platinum as well. Just be aware the $550 annual fee for the Platinum is due on the first statement.

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all of the advice.. I think I'll send in my application in on the first of September for the Platinum card then! (don't have any travel plans until November)

I was over here thinking that I needed at least a 5 year credit history as well as credit scores in the 800's to be in the running for an Amex Platinum

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.