Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get a third card?

tag
gkinter
New Contributor

Should I get a third card?

Hey everyone,

4 month ago I got approved for a Chase Sapphire Preferred with a 9k starting limit. 

A week ago I got approved for a Capital One Venture with a 5k starting limit. 

I would like more cards, but I don't know if it would be a smart decision. Should I wait 6 month before applying for a third card? 

MY scores are 753,753,742. 

I would love an AMEX BCE, or another good cash back card by the way. Any ideas ? 

What are you guys thinking? What kind of card should I get? I am pretty new to the credit game... 

Thanks everyone!

9 REPLIES 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I get a third card?

With your scores you're prime for BCE and Discover.  I'd say get those 2 and be done for a year.

Message 2 of 10
gkinter
New Contributor

I'm just afraid I will be approved for a $1000 sl and I wouldn't see the point I'm that case . Should I apply for both by the way?
Message 3 of 10
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@gkinter wrote:
I'm just afraid I will be approved for a $1000 sl and I wouldn't see the point I'm that case . Should I apply for both by the way?

I'd suggest waiting until January and then go for a Discover card. My guess is they may start you at $4.5k.

The nice thing about Discover card is CLI requests are only soft pulls and the CLIs are often in $5k or $6k increment.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 4 of 10
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

AMEX is SP CLIs as well.  With a 5K and 9K limit on your other cards being shy of a 1K limit is kind of silly since both Discover / AMEX will outgrow those both in less than a year with CLIs.  I wouldn't worry about the opening limit since Discover started me @ $4500 and my other limits were in the 17K range... now those 17K limits are less than 1/2 of what Discover is now.  Amex started me at $10K and now in a little over a year it's up to $50K.  

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the reason your applying? Do you need a third card? Do you first 2 cards provide sufficient credit?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats amazing austinguy907, I been denied twice now with amex cli's maybe utilation is my issue or score, or then again both lol

Message 7 of 10
manyquestions
Established Contributor

@gkinter wrote:

MY scores are 753,753,742. 

I would love an AMEX BCE, or another good cash back card by the way. Any ideas ? 

I'd apply for the AMEX now, along with whatever else you desire.

Message 8 of 10
gkinter
New Contributor

Thanks everyone!
I got an instant approval 10k SL for an amex BCE Smiley Happy
I'm super happy !! Thanks again !
Message 9 of 10
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@gkinter wrote:
Thanks everyone!
I got an instant approval 10k SL for an amex BCE Smiley Happy
I'm super happy !! Thanks again !

Congrats! Great job 👍

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.