Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go for it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I go for it?

I just discovered this forum a few weeks ago and have been lurking and learning. Now I'm trying really hard to improve my score. So last week I decided to apply for the Barlcays Rewards card and to my surprise I was approved for $1500 Smiley Surprised I got even bolder yesterday and decided to apply for Discover IT and it was approved again!! (not sure of credit limit yet) I'm so shocked because I didn't think I would get approved for anything. So today I go to the Capital One page to see if I'm prequalified for anything and it says I'm preapproved for the Quicksilver and the Venture cards... Should I do it?! Is the Quicksilver a good card to have? I just got rid of First Premier since I was approved for Barclays and would love to get rid of Credit One now. What do you think? I would only apply for one of them and this would be my last app for a while.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I go for it?

@Anonymous wrote:

I just discovered this forum a few weeks ago and have been lurking and learning. Now I'm trying really hard to improve my score. So last week I decided to apply for the Barlcays Rewards card and to my surprise I was approved for $1500 Smiley Surprised I got even bolder yesterday and decided to apply for Discover IT and it was approved again!! (not sure of credit limit yet) I'm so shocked because I didn't think I would get approved for anything. So today I go to the Capital One page to see if I'm prequalified for anything and it says I'm preapproved for the Quicksilver and the Venture cards... Should I do it?! Is the Quicksilver a good card to have? I just got rid of First Premier since I was approved for Barclays and would love to get rid of Credit One now. What do you think? I would only apply for one of them and this would be my last app for a while.

Congrats! And welcome!

As for the Quicksilver vs Venture, you have to figure out what rewards are important for you, and how you plan to use the card.

The first thing I personally would consider is which reward program is better for me? I don't do much travel, so the Venture rewards would be more or less lost on me. On the other hand, the 1.5% back on the Quicksilver isn't bad.

If you're open to either one rewards-wise, then I would consider the APR and any annual fees mentioned in your offer. I'd then figure out which card will end up being cheaper (will I put enough on it to justify the annual fee, if there is one?) Or, if I plan to carry a balance some months, which one has the lower APR?

One other note: folks have recently reported Cap One giving some very large limits on the Venture. If you're looking for a utilization cushion, that might push you toward the Venture. However, I don't know if your offer has an annual fee or high APR, so if you're planning on not really using the card for anything other than utilization, then you may just be throwing money away on an annual fee.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 8
Eyisila
Frequent Contributor

+1 to what GettingThere20 said.

Really have to see what you need and how you will use.  QS is great card with 1.5% back on basically anything and redemption is simple, fast and not restricted.  Venture don't really know much about as I do not travel much, but from what I have read and seen the 40k offer as it is, is $400 statement credit, so that's not to bad, but it does have the AF.  If you think you can justify and mange the AF with spend to nullify it, then do it.

I have seen a lot of applications and threads about Cap One offers (pre-qual site) being pretty rock solid.  Most seem to go for the Venture and get 10k+ limits.  Those who go for the QS or Venture One (if offered) get anywhere from 3-10k, although it seems the 10k is a little more "rare" so to speak on those 2 cards. 

Grats on your recent success and good luck with what you decide.

As an addendum - remember triple pulls likely for Cap One, and you should be able to call Discover customer service and they should be able to tell you your limit Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Give us some more info, what is your AAOA (with the new cards in there), total CL, any more info you can provide. Smiley Very Happy  I like to wait a while between cards...a long while.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your advice! If I do apply for one it will probably be the Quicksilver since I don't travel very much.

This is embarrassing but I don't know my AAoA. I haven't pulled my 3 scores on here yet since I wanted to wait until next month for it to reflect my new card and the one I just closed. I can tell you what I currently have on my report though based on credit karma.

Ch7 bk discharged Jan 2012

First Premier opened Feb 2012 CL $800 (closed last week)

Synchrony (CareCredit) opened April 2013 CL $800

Credit One opened Dec 2013 CL $1850

Barclays just opened last week CL $1500

Discover IT just opened yesterday, not sure of CL

I also have a student loan for $45,000 opened in 2012. I won't be due to make payments on it until next year after I graduate (I have started paying early).

All my cards are zero balance (no late payments since bk) and I don't actually NEED a new one. I'm just looking for the best way to improve my score in the long run. Credit karma gives me a 689 TU and 697 EQ but I know those aren't FICO scores. Credit one gives me a 722 (I think it's Experian?) and Barclays gives me a 638. Inquiries are 3 or less and one is supposed to drop off next month.

ETA: I didn't include the accounts before my bankruptcy (obviously lol)

Message 5 of 8
Eyisila
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your advice! If I do apply for one it will probably be the Quicksilver since I don't travel very much.

This is embarrassing but I don't know my AAoA. I haven't pulled my 3 scores on here yet since I wanted to wait until next month for it to reflect my new card and the one I just closed. I can tell you what I currently have on my report though based on credit karma.

I also have a student loan for $45,000 opened in 2012. I won't be due to make payments on it until next year after I graduate (I have started paying early).

All my cards are zero balance (no late payments since bk) and I don't actually NEED a new one. I'm just looking for the best way to improve my score in the long run. Credit karma gives me a 689 TU and 697 EQ but I know those aren't FICO scores. Credit one gives me a 722 (I think it's Experian?) and Barclays gives me a 638. Inquiries are 3 or less and one is supposed to drop off next month.

I would say go for what you want and know you will use....if you want one that is.  Per this board Capital One's pre-qualified are pretty on point.  Unlike some others (Discover, BofA).  Update us with your approval and amount Smiley Very Happy

And once approved (if you go for it) you can close Credit One - which is always a plus plus.

PS - I don't mean to sound like I am pressuring for you to apply and if I do it is unintended, but just from what you say, I would guess a min 3k approval for QS if you were to go for it.

EDIT - remember it will likely be a triple pull on all 3 bureaus

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eyisila wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would say go for what you want and know you will use....if you want one that is.  Per this board Capital One's pre-qualified are pretty on point.  Unlike some others (Discover, BofA).  Update us with your approval and amount Smiley Very Happy

And once approved (if you go for it) you can close Credit One - which is always a plus plus.

PS - I don't mean to sound like I am pressuring for you to apply and if I do it is unintended, but just from what you say, I would guess a min 3k approval for QS if you were to go for it.

EDIT - remember it will likely be a triple pull on all 3 bureaus

I decided to go for it. I felt that realistically this is probably one of the better cards that will approve me with a bk.

Aaaaand I was approved!! 5K limit Smiley Surprised Thank you for your advice! I'm calling Credit One first thing on Monday to cancel.

Message 7 of 8
Eyisila
Frequent Contributor

YAY HOORAY

BIG GRATS!!!!! X 2

First on the approval 5k siggy probably...WOOT

Second on being able to close Credit One - I actually think this is a bit better than the approval HEHE

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.