Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go on as an AU for a high limit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I go on as an AU for a high limit card

Hi everyone, if you have been following my posts, I am borderline obsessed with getting approved for a Chase card lol. I have been told chase looks for a high limit card on your report before they give you one. My dad just got approved for a 9k dollar discover it card. Should I go on as an authorized user? Would chase or other places consider that as a card I’m having a high limit on or would they not count that because I would only be an AU? Opinions please!
11 REPLIES 11
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I go on as an AU for a high limit card

Chase likes to see experience with high limit cards not just that you have a high limit card. While it would not hurt to be added as an AU on your dads card, that alone will probably not be enough to gain approval. What Chase card are you considering? and what does your profile look like? 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase looks for your personal experience with handling a high limit card from another issuer, and authorized users don't count because ultimately they are not personally responsible for the account.  The only time Chase considers AUs is in applying the 5/24 rule so proceed carefully.

And yes, the number of threads you've started recently are making you appear desperate.  That's not the image you want to project when seeking credit.

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi everyone, if you have been following my posts, I am borderline obsessed with getting approved for a Chase card lol. I have been told chase looks for a high limit card on your report before they give you one. My dad just got approved for a 9k dollar discover it card. Should I go on as an authorized user? Would chase or other places consider that as a card I’m having a high limit on or would they not count that because I would only be an AU? Opinions please!

Message 3 of 12
creditguy
Valued Contributor

After reading your previous posts I'm assuming your looking at a CSP or similar, if so I'd say hold off and build your profile some more. Chase likes history and demonstration of responsibility. Take your time and build a solid profile, all the information you need is here these forums, study them, ask questions and practice patience, the card will be waiting for you when you're ready. 

Message 4 of 12
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would say that you need to exercise some patience, and build up your own file.  Many examples of Chase "high limit" cards here, all justified by strong profiles.  Lots of options, though, to keep in mind.  Building spend/pay history with any creditor will get you wherever you want to be.  We could have a debate on what a "high limit" card actually is (nothing wrong with a 9k cl).  Chase can be sticky when it merits, so you might shop around.  I have a Chase Marriott: smokin' 5k limit!  Shop aound!

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am rather curious as to exactly someone that is so new to credit is so hell-bent on getting a credit card through Chase....or any specific lender for that fact to the point of obsession.

While the features of the many different cards can vary across the credit card landscape their most basic function is pretty much the same. Yes a lot of folks may have a "dream card" that they hope to obtain at some point but those people usually work towards that goal and learn about credit and how best to put themselves in the optimum position to get there. It just seems as if you are trying to find some way to circumvent Chase's approval process. I mean no offense, I am just trying to understand your "borderline obession" with Chase.

Message 6 of 12
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am rather curious as to exactly someone that is so new to credit is so hell-bent on getting a credit card through Chase....or any specific lender for that fact to the point of obsession.

While the features of the many different cards can vary across the credit card landscape their most basic function is pretty much the same. Yes a lot of folks may have a "dream card" that they hope to obtain at some point but those people usually work towards that goal and learn about credit and how best to put themselves in the optimum position to get there. It just seems as if you are trying to find some way to circumvent Chase's approval process. I mean no offense, I am just trying to understand your "borderline obession" with Chase.

I have a sorta-answer to that. Some are aware of the 5/24... Some also have been an AU on a chase card and know the perks...  or they are in school and travel.... Or they see all the travel sites and the lifestyle they propose... And they want that too.... But as folks on here have said... best things come to those who wait....

Chase was my second CC... and they basically just tried to one up my CU card at the time was 5k.. by a scant 300$.. and that card still hasnt moved anywhere in the time iv had it... The CU card has... but not the Freedom...  Last year I got a  Amazon Prime Visa... And the CL was 4500.... and still is..  Its why i cringe when folks rush....

It will still be there down the road when your there for it =)

-J

Message 7 of 12
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

Going back to OP's original question-- do high limits on Authorized User (AU) cards help with getting higher limits?

Thanks!

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joltdude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a sorta-answer to that. Some are aware of the 5/24... Some also have been an AU on a chase card and know the perks...  or they are in school and travel.... Or they see all the travel sites and the lifestyle they propose... And they want that too.... But as folks on here have said... best things come to those who wait....

Chase was my second CC... and they basically just tried to one up my CU card at the time was 5k.. by a scant 300$.. and that card still hasnt moved anywhere in the time iv had it... The CU card has... but not the Freedom...  Last year I got a  Amazon Prime Visa... And the CL was 4500.... and still is..  Its why i cringe when folks rush....

It will still be there down the road when your there for it =)

-J

I have to agree with the previous two posts. I too have my eyes set on the CSR because I travel consistently for work and know that card would ultimately benefit me in that aspect. However, I also know my longevity in credit history is still low and that I would probably be instantly denied if I tried apping for that card now. So I am working on what I have right now, trying to build on that. I was just successfully approved for two prime cards with decent SL's, but this is my most recent step towards my goals. I'm not going to go jump out there now and think I'm going to be accepted for the next big thing.

This is a process and unfortunately it takes time. I apologize if we all sound blunt, but in these forums, we really want to see everyone succeed and I just don't see you being approved for that card just because you become an AU on someone else's account. Chase has very high standards, especially for the CSP or CSR, assuming one of these would be the one you're looking to apply for.

Best advice is to keep working on your credit and you'll be there one day. It comes faster than you think, trust me! My oldest CC account is only one year old this month and I just took a huge leap in my establishment of credit, increasing my TCL in my wallet tremendously, with those two approvals. Just goes to show you... patience pays off in this game. It is what it is....

Message 9 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@seattlecredit08 wrote:

Going back to OP's original question-- do high limits on Authorized User (AU) cards help with getting higher limits?

Thanks!

My opinion, I don't think so. It's not your card  you are just using it  as an authorized user. Were the limit your very own I'd say yes. Again, just my opinion I may be wrong .

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.