Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Success*: Chase CLI within 1 week of opening. No HP

tag
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

*Success*: Chase CLI within 1 week of opening. No HP

Hello, my grandmother is in $3914 in combined credit card debt throughout the cards I am authorized in my signature, and I've been encouraging her to take up the Chase Slate offers she's been getting in the mail.

We chose the Slate card over the Citi Simplicity card, which she was also receiving pre-qualified offers for, to take advantage of the free balance transfers (vs.the 3%/$5 with almost every other CC).

But there is a problem; she was only approved for $1,800.

I spoke with Chase on her behalf via secure message as her to verify wheather it would be a hard or soft inquiry if we ask for a CLI and try to get some insight on if an early CLI is possible.

My question is, is it possible or even heard of to have a CLI within a week of opening an account under the condition that it would be used for a balance transfer? We were hoping for atleast $4,000 to have a little head room after transferring all of her balances onto the Slate card. And we dont want to have another hard inquriry for nothing, or to go to a "better", "toy" limit.

We didnt expect such a low credit limit based on her other card limits and credit report:

Income: $16,788/yr (Retired, social security)

FICO Score: 795.

AAoA: 5yr, 3mo

Inquries:  3

#1 Oct 2013 - Chase Slate

#2 May 2013 - Macys Store Card

#3 Dec 2011 - PNC CC

Credit Utilization: 6%

Total Credit Limit: $57,524

Thanks.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Re: Chase CLI within 1 week of opening.

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

Hello, my grandmother is in $3914 in combined credit card debt throughout the cards I am authorized in my signature, and I've been encouraging her to take up the Chase Slate offers she's been getting in the mail.

We chose the Slate card over the Citi Simplicity card, which she was also receiving pre-qualified offers for, to take advantage of the free balance transfers (vs.the 3%/$5 with almost every other CC).

But there is a problem; she was only approved for $1,800.

I spoke with Chase on her behalf via secure message as her to verify wheather it would be a hard or soft inquiry if we ask for a CLI and try to get some insight on if an early CLI is possible.

My question is, is it possible or even heard of to have a CLI within a week of opening an account under the condition that it would be used for a balance transfer? We were hoping for atleast $4,000 to have a little head room after transferring all of her balances onto the Slate card. And we dont want to have another hard inquriry for nothing, or to go to a "better", "toy" limit.

We didnt expect such a low credit limit based on her other card limits and credit report:

Income: $16,788/yr (Retired, social security)

FICO Score: 795.

AAoA: 5yr, 3mo

Inquries:  3

#1 Oct 2013 - Chase Slate

#2 May 2013 - Macys Store Card

#3 Dec 2011 - PNC CC

Credit Utilization: 6%

Total Credit Limit: $57,524

Thanks.

Generally speaking, it's always a hard with Chase regarding a CLI...this is true even if you ask for a CLI on a card immediately after being approved for another one.  That said, there are exceptions to everything.  Your best bet is to call the Recon line and speak to a credit analyst.  You can explain the situation and see what they can do.  The worst thing that can happen is that they will say that it wll be a hard pull to evaluate a CLI.  But it's better than relying on the secure message button.

Message 2 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It will be a HP. Although your DG's util and CS is good her income might be a problem with the current avail CL's. Chase may grant an increase but I'm not sure it will be the full $4k.

You never know until you ask. Good luck!
Message 3 of 7
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Success! 

We managed to get a CLI to $4000 WITHOUT another hard inquriry!

We explained that we signed up for the Slate card with the intention of consoliating all of our other balances, a few questions and a very short hold later, we got the increase!

We were both so surprised, and are so grateful Smiley Happy

*whew*

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 4 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

Success! 

We managed to get a CLI to $4000 WITHOUT another hard inquriry!

We explained that we signed up for the Slate card with the intention of consoliating all of our other balances, a few questions and a very short hold later, we got the increase!

We were both so surprised, and are so grateful Smiley Happy

*whew*

Congarts to the both of you that's great news indeed 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 7
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Jeez all of these CLIs without HPs lately with Chase.. wouldn't that be amazing if that's going to be a common thing to come!

Congrats to OP's grand-mom! Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Cograts to her!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.