Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Tightening the Grips?

tag
Manonfire
Regular Contributor

Re: Synchrony Tightening the Grips?

OP, you mentioned that synchrony didnt even counter offer. Not sure it would have made a difference but did you ask them if they would consider a lower amount?

@credit_endurance wrote:

I received a nice boost on my Transunion over the weekend so though I would hit up ole Synchrony for some luv. Really wanted to get my Lowes up toward that $30-35k mark from $17k where it has sat since last August. Called them up and requested $35k put me on hold for under 2 minutes (usually not a good sign for me) and came back with " sorry to inform you that where unable to approve your credit line increase request " you will receive blah blah blah in the mail. So not giving up on the first try hopped on chat thiis time and got denied again! but given a number to contact underwritng? called them and they came back with a denial as well. Same exact thing happened to me with my Amazon Store Card. Flat denials with no counteroffers which is suprising. Has me wondering now are they cracking down on giving out large credit line increase requests? Anything requested over a certain threshold is now being forwarded to underwriting? Anyone else experience this sort of thing lately?

Message 11 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I think if they dont counter while on the phone there is nothing there for them to offer. Computer decisions can be final with Sync. You're either eligble or your not.
Message 12 of 20
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

I think the OP might be on to something here...

Just got off the phone with CS regarding my $6K CL Wally card. Never asked for a CLI in about a year averaging $320 a month spend the last 12 months...
Declined! Not even a counter! I was expecting a worst case scenario of an $8K counter but no! Nothing! Zilch! Zero! Nada!
My TU8 at 700, 1% total util with 3 inqs (newest 7 mos ago). 1 new acct 7 months ago. Letter coming in the next 7 or so days.

As added DP, 3 weeks ago they countered and raised my Marvel MC from $6K -> $8K though. So don't know if that has something to do with my Wally denial.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

yea seems like they might be..  ive had my amazon store card 9 months.. use it all the time always PIF, just tried CLI the other day.. nope..  and care credit, you guys all posted you got cli in the first 24-48 hours, i got mine tried twice via chat in that time, both times told my card is "too new", i tried again the other day, nope we'll send you a notice as to why..

Message 14 of 20
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@Manonfire wrote:

OP, you mentioned that synchrony didnt even counter offer. Not sure it would have made a difference but did you ask them if they would consider a lower amount?

@credit_endurance wrote:

I received a nice boost on my Transunion over the weekend so though I would hit up ole Synchrony for some luv. Really wanted to get my Lowes up toward that $30-35k mark from $17k where it has sat since last August. Called them up and requested $35k put me on hold for under 2 minutes (usually not a good sign for me) and came back with " sorry to inform you that where unable to approve your credit line increase request " you will receive blah blah blah in the mail. So not giving up on the first try hopped on chat thiis time and got denied again! but given a number to contact underwritng? called them and they came back with a denial as well. Same exact thing happened to me with my Amazon Store Card. Flat denials with no counteroffers which is suprising. Has me wondering now are they cracking down on giving out large credit line increase requests? Anything requested over a certain threshold is now being forwarded to underwriting? Anyone else experience this sort of thing lately?

Nope. No counteroffers what so ever. That for me has always been one of the joys of dealing with Synchrony is even if you shoot high and they're not comfortable with the amout you request they would usually come back with an counteroffer. I think this gravy train is slowing down, As I have mentioned before I like all my current cards AMZ, Care Credit, Lowes because they serve prurposes in my lifestyle but if they start to act funny with me and or send me the blue envelope I will without hesistation close every tradline with them that I have. There are plenty other fish in this credit sea to deal with to recoup the lost utilization buffer if need be.

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit_endurance wrote:

@Manonfire wrote:

@credit_endurance wrote:

Nope. No counteroffers what so ever. That for me has always been one of the joys of dealing with Synchrony is even if you shoot high and they're not comfortable with the amout you request they would usually come back with an counteroffer. I think this gravy train is slowing down, As I have mentioned before I like all my current cards AMZ, Care Credit, Lowes because they serve prurposes in my lifestyle but if they start to act funny with me and or send me the blue envelope I will without hesistation close every tradline with them that I have. There are plenty other fish in this credit sea to deal with to recoup the lost utilization buffer if need be.

If your established with solid repayment history over many years unless it's a car loan or something bigger they shouldn't hassle you I completely agree,

Message 16 of 20
12njoy
Super Contributor

I have a 103k with Synchrony and pushed the envelope recently with a Nissan Visa application.  The app was denied due to max exposure.  I got the letter and they stated in the letter that I could reduce or close one of their cards to open the Nissan Visa.  The rewards on the Nissan Visa are dsimal so I won't be doing that.  My request was purely greed though.  If they ever close my accounts so be it.  I won't lose any sleep over it.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently I got my sams club mc from 7000 to 15000 which was what I asked for.  

My tu 08 at the time was a little over 700.

I have had the card over 10 years and spend a couple thousand a month on it and pif. 

So maybe there looking at more than just score now and history and use matter too.  Anyones guess for sure what these companies want on a daily basis.

Message 18 of 20
12njoy
Super Contributor

I have the following accounts and only run a couple hundred through them periodically and PIF:

Ebates Platimun Visa 20k

Walmart Mastercard 20k

TJX Mastercard 20k

Paypal Mastercard 20k

BP Visa 10k

Old Navy Visa 10k

Marvel Mastercard 3k

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 19 of 20
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

I have a PP MC and a TJMaxx MC both at their cap of $8k based on my file and score.  I read an email saying that Synchrony Bank was going to grant CLIs to those living in the hurricane affected areas. Being that I live in Florida I called credit solutions and asked for $2.5k bump on my PP account. They countered with $1k. Didnt even bother with the other card.  Disappointed.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.