Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Established Contributor

Synchrony Tightening the Grips?

[ Edited ]

I received a nice boost on my Transunion over the weekend so though I would hit up ole Synchrony for some luv. Really wanted to get my Lowes up toward that $30-35k mark from $17k where it has sat since last August. Called them up and requested $35k put me on hold for under 2 minutes (usually not a good sign for me) and came back with " sorry to inform you that where unable to approve your credit line increase request " you will receive blah blah blah in the mail. So not giving up on the first try hopped on chat thiis time and got denied again! but given a number to contact underwritng? called them and they came back with a denial as well. Same exact thing happened to me with my Amazon Store Card. Flat denials with no counteroffers which is suprising. Has me wondering now are they cracking down on giving out large credit line increase requests? Anything requested over a certain threshold is now being forwarded to underwriting? Anyone else experience this sort of thing lately?

FICO8 Scores:~ 9/10/2017:~ TU:~737 EQ:~742 EX:~755
Inquires TU:~10 EQ:~10 EX:~15
Total Utilization:~ 3%
Total Revolving CL:~ $350k+club
Established Contributor

Re: Synchrony Tightening the Grips?

[ Edited ]

Got my Lowes to $25k and EBates and Sams to $10k, then it was a few no, no, no.

I just gave up before they want to send me the blue envelope.

$17k is a really good limit to have on a Lowes card.  Enjoy it and get a good night sleep.

Established Contributor

some people are risking it all for some bigger cli... greed.lol

Valued Contributor

peghede wrote:

some people are risking it all for some bigger cli... greed.lol

That's not greed. Not wanting to wreck your utilization with a large purchase isn't greedy, it's smart. Larger limits keep your utilization down, and your score healthy.  

My Amazon store card is only $5K, so when I charged $4,600 on it last December, it hurt my score to the tune of 30-ish points. Even after paying all that off before deferred interest hit, Synchrony still won't give me a CLI. 

People use the Lowes project financing all the time for very larger purchases and projects. Using $10K of a $35K limit looks a lot better on paper than using $10K of a $17K limit. 

Starting scores: 552 EQ, 570 TU, 558 EX Current scores (9/1/17): 727 EQ 748 TU 731 EX
Established Contributor

yeah if u use a decent lender, not this synchrony r.i.p who will close or freeze u card on the way to register to pay for lumber......don't get confused with navy now.

Established Contributor

[ Edited ]

All points are very valid and taken. My goal exactly as DeeBee78 stated was to cushion some utilization and Lowes has been known to be the easiest to bump up to $30-35k. But believe me I am fully aware of the synchrony shenanigans and will close these accounts (3) I have with the the quickness. Would take a hit in utilization in doing so but will move on to some banks that don't put their customers through that.

Senior Contributor

I got my cards as high as want them .10k was my goal and like many i dont want to push too hard. With lots of defaults it only makes sense that some tightening will and is occuring. I always find it amusing that someone who actually utilizes their limit like deebee dont get the increases they need to help utilize their account better.

Be careful doing the trifecta, call ,chat ,luv button same day. That may give your account more attention then one may wantSmiley Wink
Community Leader
Super Contributor

AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I got my cards as high as want them .10k was my goal and like many i dont want to push too hard. With lots of defaults it only makes sense that some tightening will and is occuring. I always find it amusing that someone who actually utilizes their limit like deebee dont get the increases they need to help utilize their account better.

Be careful doing the trifecta, call ,chat ,luv button same day. That may give your account more attention then one may wantSmiley Wink

+1 So true...I don't even go there with those cards. What I have I will happily keep, but not asking for more at this time. Synchrony is too "touchy," imho

Daily Drivers: Penfed Platinum Rewards; NFCU GoRewards; Discover; NASA Platinum Cash Rewards
Established Contributor

AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Yes AJC I'm going to cool it for now. It will be interesting to see what's on the letter they send out to me. It's just suprising especially with my Amazon account I had never had any issues moving it up to $10k but maybe those days of increases are coming few and far in between now.

Frequent Contributor

I asked for an increase on my Belk card.

They refused got the letter an it cited too many recent inquiries. I may have 2-3 on my Transunion from this year too me that is not many.
AAOA 1 year Fico 08's 738 739 703

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.