Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The CLI Itch: Does it ever end?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CLI Itch: Does it ever end?

I've only been actively involved in pursuing CLIs for less than a year now.  Always SP CLIs, BTW, as I've never been willing to take a HP for one. 

Like many on this forum, I don't really have any reason for CLIs at this point.  My limits are already far greater than I would ever need.  I never carry balances, so I have zero use for additional limits in terms of aiding aggregate utilization.  The only reason I seek out CLIs, near as I can tell, is because I can.  I guess I like the thrill of it and that sense of accomplishment when I get one.  I'm sure there are others in the same boat as me here.  It's kind of silly when I step back and think about it.  The thrill of getting the CLI and/or accomplishment felt may only last a few days.  Heck, sometimes just a few hours.  Yet for some reason, it's worth it.

It's become more of a game to me I suppose at this point.  Trying to figure out the best way to get a CLI (and the best CLI) based on spend/payment patterns, timing, etc.  I find myself constantly moving my spends around from one card to another when I know a CLI opportunity is approaching in a few months.  I probably miss out slightly on rewards as a result, at the expense perhaps of a greater CLI opportunity.  I find myself once I receive a CLI on a card that I almost immediately start thinking about the next card that I'll be able to get a CLI on. 

So, my question for everyone that's done this for over a year (perhaps much longer) is does the CLI itch ever go away?  I know some people are this same exact way with applying for new cards, which no doubt can get one in trouble more than just going for SP CLIs on existing cards... but I guess the overall concept and "itch" is similar.  I guess once one gets to the point where all of their cards are at their max CL relative to your profile and you basically can't get further CLIs, the "game" is essentially over?  Or, do you just get bored of it eventually?  Perhaps after a couple of years you just start getting tired of putting in the "work" of moving around your spend, micromanaging your accounts so much, etc?  Since I'm relatively new to the CLI game, I'm very curious to hear about this subject from those that have been involved in it longer than I have. 

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: The CLI Itch: Does it ever end?

Nope, your right it does tend to gravitate to being a game , how much can i get before strike 3, its good and bad. The itch i think will remain just depends uf youll live with it or gets some cremeSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 33
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

I'm approaching 18 months of rebuilding and sometimes I get bored and just click buttons on Synch and Comenity just to SEE! Smiley Happy My bank cards are the ones with more predetermined "schedules" of CLIs. 

I did decide that most of my Synch accounts are fine. I'll try to get Amazon and Marvel to $10k and Care Credit as high as I can. My other store cards (WM, TJMaxx, AE) are fine. 

Okay wait, maybe I'll try to get TJ Maxx from $4k to $5k! Smiley Very Happy

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 3 of 33
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

For me it fills the void of not apping...I really dont ask for many CLI's now that I cant get over 26k from Discover I wanted and even 30K but oh well..

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 4 of 33
bizarrocreditworld
Valued Contributor

I think there is more interest in getting a CLI for free through a SP (similar to getting a larger candy bar for the same price) rather than getting a CLI through a HP (similar to a king size candy bar costing more than a regular candy bar). There's also an element of either comeraderie or "keeping up with the Jones family" (depending on your point of view) that is common in the stories we tell (hey, if he got a CLI with that FICO score, I should be able to get better with mine).

Just my two cents on this topic. (Congratulations, your two cents is now worth three!)

No credit news is good credit news!
Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

IDK...I think for me, having a large amount of available credit makes me feel accomplished and comfortable whether I use it or not. The funny thing is, I was doing ok when I had just 20k in available credit...funny....Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous.

For me, gardening has helped in regards to not seeking CLIs.  Only temptation for me recently has been BoA, but my reports are frozen, so it is a moot point.  The goal that I established when I entered the garden was to get my reports in order to try again for credit products with either NFCU and/or PenFed, but after 6 months, I don't know that even that is a goal any longer. 

I now see that NFCU and PenFed have become a challenge for me because I was turned down by them, but reality for me now is that even if I got approved, my income is limited, so it probably would only be a nominal approval. 

Like you, I have more than enough available credit, so I think I would like to see all my INQs gone, but  if I asked for CLIs with BoA or Amex, then that requires a HP, so I guess I just will have to be happy with what I got.

Have a great day....and thanks for the great question.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies thus far, everyone.

I think the pursuit of CLIs and/or higher limits can be likened to the pursuit of a higher credit score in many ways.  Someone may have a $2000 limit card and may set a goal initially to get it to $5000.  Once they hit $5000, maybe it's to take it to 5 figures.  Same thing with credit scores.  Someone may reside in the 600's and have an initial goal of 700.  Then 750 across the board.  Then the coveted 800.  I think similar to an offensive drive in the NFL, the initial goal is to simply move the sticks for a new set of downs, but the ultimate goal for the possession is a touchdown of course.  

While unwritten, I've sort of set top-line goals for all of my cards.  I often wonder if when I reach those limit goals if I'll simply push the goal out some more, or if I'll actually be "satisfied" with where I've taken the card.  

I think my only reference point for this is my Lowe's card, which prior to apping I set a goal of $30k for based on reading a ton of Lowe's threads on this forum and comparing my profile to those with ~$30k limits.  Last June I was approved with a $3k limit, called CS and got it bumped up to $30k instantly.  Goal achieved immediately.  It's been almost a year and I have not attempted to push that limit past $30k, even though I know for a fact I could take it to $35k (as many others have) with another phone call.  I'm hoping that I feel the same way with my other cards once I get to the limit I've sort of been striving for.

I'm hoping that the thrill of CLI chasing does eventually wear off, or that I simply reach my goal limits set prior in my mind.  I'd like to not have to think about CLIs any longer and just use my cards for rewards-maximizing purposes more naturally and less micromanged.  I think I'm on my way... but who knows, right? 

Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe that as long as you set goals that are right for you personally, rather than feel that you have to shoot for the higher limits because everyone else is doing it, you can't go wrong.

As Polonius said,"This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night, the day, thou canst not then be false to any man."
Message 9 of 33
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Stop coming by this forum as much...find something else to do.  As strange as it may be, that's honestly what has helped me.  This forum and the fine folks here are a wealth of information and has helped me tremendously in my journey.  But, when I finally decided that I was done chasing increases and app'ing for new card, I stopped coming here as much.  When I don't think about or spend my time with like minded folks (regarding credit) it wasn't to terribly hard to let it go.  The first few weeks were hard because I had the temptation check out the forum from my cell phone or while I was at work...but once I finally let it go and started doing other things besides coming home and plopping in front of the computer to read this site for hours on in, the urge and itch slowly faded away.  In April I applied for NFCU because I heard that the window of opportunity was closing and I wanted to have them around long term and like we all know, that window did close and I'm happy I decided to pull the trigger when I did. 

Now I have no desire to add any additional cards or increase my limits as they're far greater than I can ever use and honestly, I can only spend on credit card as much as my salary allows...and the limits I have far exceed what I could reasonably pay back so there's no need for me asking for increases regardless of SP or HP.

Like it'd probably be a good idea for an alcoholic to avoid bars and folks who drink, avoiding this place and the folks that speak about credit all day should certainly help you to not think about credit limits and new cards.  I still pop on here every now and again...I'll answer a question if I can or comment if I have something to add...I don't read the Approval section too much because like I mentioned, it only serves to stir the thought of wanting an ask for an un-needed increase or another card that I don't need.  I do like to read the Auto Loan section when I'm on the forum because I enjoy reading about the new set of wheels that folks are picking up.  And because changing cars isn't as temping as it is to app for a credit card or increase, reading about others success doesn't even remotely make me want to buy another car.

Best of luck to you BBS...as you're not alone...I to had the same feeling as you and I was able to overcome it...and happy I did.  Worrying about which card to use, what limit to increase, the next card to app for, to pay or not to pay before the statement cuts, in its own right was a form of stress for me that I'm happy to not have to deal with anymore.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.