Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide Discussion Thread

Need some assistance on if I did this wrong. I got approved on 7/12/13 and created my accounted on 7/12/13. I requested the 3x CLI last night a little after 12 am on 9/11/13 CST. I got the 7-10 day response. I checked the status online and the letter stated that it's AMEX does not to allow CLI requests within the first 60 days of the account. The date on the letter I viewed online was dated 9/10/13. It appeared that I pulled the trigger too early. However, I read one post that the actual date is located on the welcome kit letter. The date on that is 7/13/13. So I am confused on which date I should go by for the 3x CLI, 9/11/13 or 9/12/13.

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 351 of 5,432
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@CashOnDelivery wrote:

Need some assistance on if I did this wrong. I got approved on 7/12/13 and created my accounted on 7/12/13. I requested the 3x CLI last night a little after 12 am on 9/11/13 CST. I got the 7-10 day response. I checked the status online and the letter stated that it's AMEX does not to allow CLI requests within the first 60 days of the account. The date on the letter I viewed online was dated 9/10/13. It appeared that I pulled the trigger too early. However, I read one post that the actual date is located on the welcome kit letter. The date on that is 7/13/13. So I am confused on which date I should go by for the 3x CLI, 9/11/13 or 9/12/13.

12 AM CST is borderline, and it appears you were on the wrong side of the border Smiley Very Happy

How did you confirm your account creation date? Either one of the 3 methods outlined in the guide work for this, and all 3 methods will always yield the same result. Please do not confuse with welcome letter date, approval date, activation date etc.

Having said that, if you confirmed that your account creation date is 7/12/13, then 9/11/13 is indeed the 61st day. The good news is the denial didn't reset the clock, so go for the CLI again today (during these more sane hours Smiley Tongue).

Out of curiosity, what timezone are you located in?

Message 352 of 5,432
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

Congrats teemolicusand others who have receieved CLI recently and thanks for providing valuable datapoints to help others down the road.

@jake619 please announce and release the CLI form! Smiley Happy

Message 353 of 5,432
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

@ MustangSaluki,
Central Time. Thanks for clearing that up. I wanted provide all the dates just in case that info was asked from me.

Message 354 of 5,432
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

Just approved this morning for a CLI from 6k to 15.5k. 

MyFico/Other Handle: CashonDelivery

Initial CL: 6000
61 day/181 day CLI: (please indicate whether 61day/181day also) 61 Day CLI to 15,500
Amex Utilization @ CLI: 33%

Overall Utilization @ Last EX Soft Pull: 17.3%

Ratio of Income/(Overall Available Credit) (4 decimal places): 1.6143

Number of new credit lines opened since opening Amex account or last Amex CLI: 3
Total $$ value of all transactions since Amex account opening or last Amex CLI: 4304

Message 355 of 5,432
VinnyofLegend
Contributor

My apologies if this has already been asked but I did not see an answer in the main thread.

If you are denied for a CLI, does the 90 day wait apply to all your cards? Or just the one you were denied on? In other words, can I try for a lower CLI request on a different Amex card?

MyFico/Other Handle: VinnyofLegend
Initial CL: 5000
181 day CLI: Asked for 15K, was Denied
Amex Utilization @ CLI: 5%
Overall Utilization @ Last EX Soft Pull: 14%
Ratio of Income/(Overall Available Credit) (4 decimal places): 0.6661
Number of new credit lines opened since opening Amex account or last Amex CLI: 1 new vehicle lease replacing existing vehicle lease
Total $$ value of all transactions since Amex account opening: $9577

Message 356 of 5,432
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@VinnyofLegend wrote:

My apologies if this has already been asked but I did not see an answer in the main thread.

If you are denied for a CLI, does the 90 day wait apply to all your cards? Or just the one you were denied on? In other words, can I try for a lower CLI request on a different Amex card?

Great question! No it has not been asked before and there is no language in the guide that explicitly outlines this. A general rule of thumb when it comes to Amex CLI is

Only CLI events affect CLI timelines, across ALL personal and business accounts. It also means new account approvals, denials, shifting of credit limits ets do not reset the timelines.

Unfortunatley it means that your next eligible date for CLI is 91 days from the date of denial in the letter. You could try a CLI in between to test this if you want, it will be considered jumping the gun and not reset the clock.

Hoping you have better results down the road. Smiley Happy

@CashOnDelivery and napplegate congrats on your CLI and thanks for sharing.

Message 357 of 5,432
VinnyofLegend
Contributor

@MustangSaluki wrote:

@VinnyofLegend wrote:

Great question! No it has not been asked before and there is no language in the guide that explicitly outlines this. A general rule of thumb when it comes to Amex CLI is

Only CLI events affect CLI timelines, across ALL personal and business accounts. It also means new account approvals, denials, shifting of credit limits ets do not reset the timelines.

Unfortunatley it means that your next eligible date for CLI is 91 days from the date of denial in the letter. You could try a CLI in between to test this if you want, it will be considered jumping the gun and not reset the clock.

You're right, I forgot about that Smiley Happy I did try again on my other Amex Blue (this was the previous 6 month trigger cause going from 2K-6K) just for kicks asking for up to 10k. Got the quick e-mail and online status citing the 90 days. Oh well. I'll try again in December but not as greedy Smiley Very Happy but I think I may just consolidate my two Amex Blues if it doesn't pan out since they'll both be over 13 months by then.

Message 358 of 5,432
Iorek
Contributor

I just got a 61 day CLI on my Amex Delta for the full 3x amount. I started at $2k and I'm now at $6k. I pushed a lot of spending through the account to meet my $5k special sign on bonus, but I made sure to pay it all off either before the statement posted or right after. The first month I had $1k post to the statement because they only allowed me to make one payment with my bank account outside of making a payment on a statement in the first 30 days. The second month I had a zero balance by the time the statement posted. This was my first card with a >=$2k limit, and is still my only card above $1.5k.

MyFico/Other Handle: Iorek
Initial CL: $2k
61 day/181 day CLI: (please indicate whether 61day/181day also): 61 day
Amex Utilization @ CLI: 0%
Overall Utilization @ Last EX Soft Pull: Somewhere between 10-20%, but was mostly on my Amex card and was paid off by the time of the CLI.
Ratio of Income/(Overall Available Credit) (4 decimal places):  8.2278 (income of $65k and $7.9k total available credit at last soft pull. In the interim I received a $1k auto CLI on a different card).
Number of new credit lines opened since opening Amex account or last Amex CLI: 3 technically. I opened two accounts (Amex PRG and Walmart) the same day, and apped for a BoA BBR card the same day as well but had to recon and so it didn't post until two weeks later.
Total $$ value of all transactions since Amex account opening or last Amex CLI: $5k on my Amex Delta and another $2k on my Amex PRG (essentially, just enough to meet my spending bonuses on each card).

Amex BCE ($15k), TE ($5k), BoA BBR ($600), Cash Rewards ($600), Barclays Sallie Mae ($6k), CapOne Quicksilver ($4k), Chase Freedom ($5.8k), CSP ($11k), Marriott (9k), IHG (12k), DCU ($6k), Discover IT ($6.5k)
TU - 4 INQ, EX - 7 INQ, EQ - 3 INQ
Gardening since 06/25/14.
Message 359 of 5,432
fL1Pm0d3

Just applied for this card and was approved for a little over 11k.  Plan on trying the 3x when I hit my 61 days.  Probably will ask for something in the 25k to 30k range.

Amazon Store:$2800 Musicians Friend: $3000 AMEX Platinum:Unknown(highest pre-app $15000) CFCU Visa: $5000 Barclays Visa:$3600 DISCOVER: $5200 SPG Amex: $11300
Message 360 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.