The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@pdog661 wrote:

@MustangSaluki wrote:

@pdog661 wrote:

I just heard something new from a CSR, and was wondering if anyone had the same information giving to them.

I was coming up on my 6 month CLI request, (feb3,2013) and called AMEX to verify this date to avoid jumping the gun and getting another 90 days tacked onto my wait. 

I was surprised when the said I was eligible for a CLI in June of this year.  I asked why not 6 months from my last CLI.  They shared that if you move limits (which I did) between 2 cards (blue to Hilton honors) then that counts as a CLI, and resets the 6 month clock.

Has anyone ever heard of this before, and was the CSR accurate?  I would be annoyed with myself if I moved a limit 2 months before I could triple it, and now have to wait another 6 months.

Thanks everyone.

That doesn't add up at all. If that were the case, then they should not have allowed the CL adjustment as it would have occured during the 6 month ineligible window ? Please call again to see if you get a different answer from a more informed CSR. Hopefully they have not made any notations on your account so you are not given the same answer. Please report back as it will be very helpful to others. Hope you get a different (and better) answer Smiley Happy

That is funny.  I said the same thing to the CSR.  She even said that I could move a limit today, but it would once again re-set the clock.  She said she could over ride the transfer window, but not the CLI window.  Very odd.  I will call tomorrow and speak with someone else.  I will report back with the answer. 

I've heard something like this before.  It's funny how these things come in cycles around here.  There were a lot of similar threads a year or so ago.  Here's the situation it arose in IIRC.  People were trying to figure out ways to maximize CLI potential when they had more than one account.  Let's say you have a $9K card and a $2K card.  If you want to get that $2K card up, you could simply ask for a CLI on the $2K card up to to $6K, leaving you wtih $9K and $6K.  Or, you could ask for $25K on the $9K card, transfer $4K to the $2K card, leaving yourself with a $21K and a $6K limit.  The latter method would get you $12K more in total CL and still get your $2K card up.  People said you couldn't do it because you wouldn't be able to transfer the credit line right after getitng a CLI.  I've never verified though, and your experience suggests that you can move CLs, just that you can't then get another CLI. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 41 of 5,432
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Just got off the phone with AMEX CSR and I discussed general questions about CLI requests. 

For starters they track and consider requests for business cards separate from personal cards. That's big news for me as I have one personal card but two business cards. I was assured that I could request a CLI on my Delta Reserve end of next week (60 days from opening - and she gave me all of my anniversary dates as in the system) even though I had requested and received an increase on my personal Delta Platinum card 31 days ago. 

The only hardfast rule she offered was 60 days between increase requests. I asked about 6 months between requests that were granted and she referred back to 60 days between requests. I didn't want to press the issue so I will ask more next week or so when I call to request a CLI on my Delta Reserve. 

Message 42 of 5,432
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

Just got off the phone with AMEX CSR and I discussed general questions about CLI requests. 

For starters they track and consider requests for business cards separate from personal cards. That's big news for me as I have one personal card but two business cards. I was assured that I could request a CLI on my Delta Reserve end of next week (60 days from opening - and she gave me all of my anniversary dates as in the system) even though I had requested and received an increase on my personal Delta Platinum card 31 days ago. 

The only hardfast rule she offered was 60 days between increase requests. I asked about 6 months between requests that were granted and she referred back to 60 days between requests. I didn't want to press the issue so I will ask more next week or so when I call to request a CLI on my Delta Reserve. 

That is a great data point about the distinction between business and personal account CLIs. I will add verbiage to the OP reflecting your experience. If there are more folks who can corroborate this, it will add further validity.

@However the CSR was definitely not correct about the 60 day window between CLI requests. You can try to do that, but chances are you will get a letter in the mail about being ineligible. Take the @askamex thread as a reference. These limits are hard coded in the system and sometimes CSR are unaware of it. Plenty of evidence based on experiences here and other places and my own experience as well.

Message 43 of 5,432
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide Discussion Thread

Interesting... veddy interesting....

AMEX increases are considerably different in Canada.  I am allowed a max 50% increase every 6 months 180 days CLI online.  It is a soft pull however.  Correction, there is no soft pull either, it is based off my stated income. It will take a while for me to reach my goal of $25k CL on AMEX but I will get there.

April 20,2013:  Another confirmation, I applied for a $15,000 CLI from $9,000 to test it but the online system countered with $13,500 or a 50% increase.  It also asked for a salary figure but no FR.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 44 of 5,432
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@pdog661 wrote:

@MustangSaluki wrote:

@pdog661 wrote:

I just heard something new from a CSR, and was wondering if anyone had the same information giving to them.

I was coming up on my 6 month CLI request, (feb3,2013) and called AMEX to verify this date to avoid jumping the gun and getting another 90 days tacked onto my wait. 

I was surprised when the said I was eligible for a CLI in June of this year.  I asked why not 6 months from my last CLI.  They shared that if you move limits (which I did) between 2 cards (blue to Hilton honors) then that counts as a CLI, and resets the 6 month clock.

Has anyone ever heard of this before, and was the CSR accurate?  I would be annoyed with myself if I moved a limit 2 months before I could triple it, and now have to wait another 6 months.

Thanks everyone.

That doesn't add up at all. If that were the case, then they should not have allowed the CL adjustment as it would have occured during the 6 month ineligible window ? Please call again to see if you get a different answer from a more informed CSR. Hopefully they have not made any notations on your account so you are not given the same answer. Please report back as it will be very helpful to others. Hope you get a different (and better) answer Smiley Happy

That is funny.  I said the same thing to the CSR.  She even said that I could move a limit today, but it would once again re-set the clock.  She said she could over ride the transfer window, but not the CLI window.  Very odd.  I will call tomorrow and speak with someone else.  I will report back with the answer. 

I've heard something like this before.  It's funny how these things come in cycles around here.  There were a lot of similar threads a year or so ago.  Here's the situation it arose in IIRC.  People were trying to figure out ways to maximize CLI potential when they had more than one account.  Let's say you have a $9K card and a $2K card.  If you want to get that $2K card up, you could simply ask for a CLI on the $2K card up to to $6K, leaving you wtih $9K and $6K.  Or, you could ask for $25K on the $9K card, transfer $4K to the $2K card, leaving yourself with a $21K and a $6K limit.  The latter method would get you $12K more in total CL and still get your $2K card up.  People said you couldn't do it because you wouldn't be able to transfer the credit line right after getitng a CLI.  I've never verified though, and your experience suggests that you can move CLs, just that you can't then get another CLI. 

I was in the exact same boat last year when I was approved for HHonors Surpass and BCP. Both got approved and opened within 5 days of each other with the following:

HHonors Surpass Initial CL = $8,300

BCP CL = $4,000.

I contemplated the same strategy of first doing the 3X on HHS then move $4,000 CL to BCP and maybe do 3X on the BCP after the 6 month mark, that way both of them could be > $20,000. I was successful in the 3X CLI to 24,900, however I got denied on moving CL with the following reason

• Cannot move credit limit from another account until 13 statements have been closed on donor and recepient accounts.

Maybe this verbiage needs to be added to the OP as well. Initially the idea was to focus on the 3X CLI FAQs, but maybe with more community input and experiences, we can add some more Amex CLI guidelines to the guide.

Message 45 of 5,432
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@MustangSaluki wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

That is a great data point about the distinction between business and personal account CLIs. I will add verbiage to the OP reflecting your experience. If there are more folks who can corroborate this, it will add further validity.

@However the CSR was definitely not correct about the 60 day window between CLI requests. You can try to do that, but chances are you will get a letter in the mail about being ineligible. Take the @askamex thread as a reference. These limits are hard coded in the system and sometimes CSR are unaware of it. Plenty of evidence based on experiences here and other places and my own experience as well.

Thanks but hold on your updating until "the money is in the bank" so to speak. I will post to the thread once I have made the call and have the CLI on the business card. 

Yes I had suspicions about the 60 day comment but I will bring this point up again when I CLI on the Reserve. I will also take one for the team and call to request a CLI on the card I was approved for CLI 31 days ago when I hit 60 days from that date. I could care a less about the increase and don't care if I am denied. No hard pulls so no loss. 

Keep up the great work MustangSaluki, you are building a great reference. 

Message 46 of 5,432
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@cjcharv wrote:

Great Summary!

This needs to be sticked!

I meant to say this earlier but totally forgot as Rev and I worked on the thread. Welcome to the forums and thanks for the feedback. It certainly took you a long time to post since setting up a myFico profile!

@scenery_guy

duly noted and thanks for the effort. Watched the http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AmEx-61-day-CLI-result-7-10-day-written-response/td-p/1...   thread and did decide to hold off. 

Message 47 of 5,432
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@pdog661 wrote:

@MustangSaluki wrote:

@pdog661 wrote:

Thanks everyone.

That doesn't add up at all. If that were the case, then they should not have allowed the CL adjustment as it would have occurred during the 6 month ineligible window ? Please call again to see if you get a different answer from a more informed CSR. Hopefully they have not made any notations on your account so you are not given the same answer. Please report back as it will be very helpful to others. Hope you get a different (and better) answer Smiley Happy

I've heard something like this before.  It's funny how these things come in cycles around here.  There were a lot of similar threads a year or so ago.  Here's the situation it arose in IIRC.  People were trying to figure out ways to maximize CLI potential when they had more than one account.  Let's say you have a $9K card and a $2K card.  If you want to get that $2K card up, you could simply ask for a CLI on the $2K card up to to $6K, leaving you with $9K and $6K.  Or, you could ask for $25K on the $9K card, transfer $4K to the $2K card, leaving yourself with a $21K and a $6K limit.  The latter method would get you $12K more in total CL and still get your $2K card up.  People said you couldn't do it because you wouldn't be able to transfer the credit line right after getitng a CLI.  I've never verified though, and your experience suggests that you can move CLs, just that you can't then get another CLI. 

Well I followed up again today with a different CSR.  I asked for my CLI date on my BCP card.  I stated that I had a CLI on my HHonors sometime last summer and I knew I had to wait 6 months between credit limit increases.  The CSR asked about my moving of the credit limit in December, and I said I did, asked if this effected the date of my CLI.  He said he didn't know, but thought I should be eligible in Feb at 6 months.  It appears there seems to be some confusion in AMEX about this request.  I am going to hit the luv button in Feb, and see what happens.  If declined without consideration I believe we have our answer.

Message 48 of 5,432
Joesh
New Contributor

The CSR i talked to had no idea when I could ask for a CLI, she said I could ask for one now, even though I opened my account in late Novemeber. Instead I just asked her for my account opening date which she said was Nov. 26. So based on that I should be able to ask for CLI on like January 27th? Maybe I'll just wait for January 31st or will have to call another CSR - based on the talk in this thread I thought they would just be able to rattle off to me the date I was eligible right away; no such luck.

AMEX BCP : $30K | Citi Forward : $15K | Citi Dividend : $14K | BoA Travel Rewards : 7K | NFL Cash Rewards : $6K | Chase Freedom : $10K | Discover IT : $6.5K | AMEX BCE: $5k | Age: 26 | Occupation: Grad Student | CreditKarma: 800TU/812EQ |
Message 49 of 5,432
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@Joesh wrote:

The CSR i talked to had no idea when I could ask for a CLI, she said I could ask for one now, even though I opened my account in late Novemeber. Instead I just asked her for my account opening date which she said was Nov. 26. So based on that I should be able to ask for CLI on like January 27th? Maybe I'll just wait for January 31st or will have to call another CSR - based on the talk in this thread I thought they would just be able to rattle off to me the date I was eligible right away; no such luck.

Account opening = November 26. So count 61 days out from there. Done. No further thinking necessary. Don't overthink this people. 

The guide is supposed to eliminate overthinking, and it does a great job of just that.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 50 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.