Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide Discussion Thread

It's technically time for me to apply for my CLI for my BCP card, but I'm wondering if I should wait another month.  The BCP is strictly used in our household for groceries and my wife carries one of her own that is NOT a AU card based on mine (to get around the $6000 yearly spending cap for cash back).  Her 3X CLI moment will come in about three weeks when she can go from an $8500 CL to $25K (I figure that will be easy instead of $25,500 which may cause problems.

But my original CL is already at $20K.  And I'd like to go for $40K.  Last year I paid off a $39K balance on my Amex Platinum so I think I'm ok to ask for this much (I'd like to ask for $60K but I'm not crazy).  And I don't mind them asking for a 4506T if they really want to go there.  But my wife made a little mistake this month and double-paid my daughter's expensive school, which basically erased our grocery budget.  So for this month, we have to carry balances on our cards until the beginning of June where we should be able to catch up and go back to PIF.

Normally I'm thinking that I should clean up the balance I have (about $850) before going for the CLI, but with an existing CL of $20K, is it really going to matter that much in the grand scheme of things?  I should be patient, but few of us around here are. Smiley Happy

Message 211 of 5,432
icantsurf
Valued Member

I was finally approved for an Amex back in March: the JetBlue card with a 1k limit. Yesterday, I requested a CLI and was instantly approved for an increase from 1k to 3k!  Thanks to the people on this forum!

I called and a CSR told me it was 61 days from account creation, and not activation, but I think I would have been at 61 days or greater either way.

Starting Score: EX: 678 EQ: 677 TU: 667 03/06/2013
Current Score: EX: 684 EQ: 687 TU: 705 03/31/2014 / Last App: 08/04/2013 / In the Garden Until: 01/04/2013

NPSL           $5000           $3000           $3000           $2500           $2000           $1000            $1000           $1000           
Message 212 of 5,432
waiter
Regular Contributor

My Amex spg was opened on mar 8th and according to my calculations today is 62nd day, and i can ask for 3x cli, BUT there are 2 problems.

my income: its only 44.5k and i usually list 45k on apps, while i was applying for amex i remember i was extra cautious, and i belive i reported 44.5k but since i have a habbit of listing it as 45k i am not not to sure if listed income was 44.5k OR 45k.  During cli process when i will enter my income and it does not match with my recent application income even by  .5k , i am afraid the their computer system will pick this change up, and FR can happen, as I read FR is all automated generated by their super computer, and reps cant help you after they FR you. or maybe my CLI will be denied? 

My Initial Limit: I was given 12.5K initial limit, 3xcli would be 37.5 k , lol i dont think its gonna happen, i want to ask for 20k.

I see most members who got approved for full 3xcli are lower limits, but limit like mine asking for full 3 x is asking for trouble?

usage of my card. 1st month used it for 550 dollars and made 300 payment, leaving 250 balance, 2nd month used it for approx 400 and just made a payment of 350 , and now i have a 325 balance on the card . any suggestions are welcome.

overall credit profile only 3 to 4% utilization. with total credit card limits equal to around 160k.

AAoA is not too great 1.2 years.

I have 34 opened accounts and 12 closed accounts. 

all reports are clean never been late on any thing.

Thank you.

Message 213 of 5,432
KausticRage
New Contributor

If you want to stay under the FR radar the highest you can request is 25K.  Anything over that and they will do a FR.

April 2013 FICO Scores
Experian - 709 Chase Freedom Pull
Equifax - 788 BofA MLB Rewards Pull
Trans Union - 778 (GE Money Bank CLI scores)

In the Garden until at least 2014 to let the new accounts age and HP's fall off. 800 club here I come...
Message 214 of 5,432
waiter
Regular Contributor

alright asked for 20K only 2 x cl  over the phone automated system ,,,,and....................BOOM..                                                 Denied.

Reason : Due to card member risk score.   does this mean FR is coming? gosh!

Message 215 of 5,432
BL_HBY
New Visitor

So I waited even more than the 60 day period and, last month, requested a limit of $15k (from my initial limit of $5k).  I was denied with the reason "Your overall debt with other creditors listed in your credit bureau report and the credit limits on your American Express Cards in relation to your reported income."

I think part of it was because I wasn't paying attention before the statement closed and had a balance of like $720 (Had bought stuff for my girlfriend's birthday and threw my mother's groceries on the card) that got reported for the month of April.  As of last week, the reported balanced dropped because I paid that all.  If income isn't the problem (not really sure where I even update reported income to reflect a new payrate) how long do I have to wait before applying for a 3x CLI? 60 days? 6 months? 

Message 216 of 5,432
crazysxycool
Regular Contributor

@BL_HBY wrote:

So I waited even more than the 60 day period and, last month, requested a limit of $15k (from my initial limit of $5k).  I was denied with the reason "Your overall debt with other creditors listed in your credit bureau report and the credit limits on your American Express Cards in relation to your reported income."

I think part of it was because I wasn't paying attention before the statement closed and had a balance of like $720 (Had bought stuff for my girlfriend's birthday and threw my mother's groceries on the card) that got reported for the month of April.  As of last week, the reported balanced dropped because I paid that all.  If income isn't the problem (not really sure where I even update reported income to reflect a new payrate) how long do I have to wait before applying for a 3x CLI? 60 days? 6 months? 

I was told 90 days.

Starting Score: TU: 663 EQ: 632 EX: ?
Current Score: TU: 721 (12/02/12) EQ: 704 (12/2012 via SW) EX: 712 (11/19/12 via Amex)
Goal Score: 700 (ALL)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 217 of 5,432
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@BL_HBY

There was a box to enter income right in the CLI request form on the Amex website. You should update your income with Amex if it has changed, it could make a difference.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 218 of 5,432
aldejesus
Valued Member

Thanks for this Guide, it worked, from $2,000 to $6,000 on the 61st day.

Message 219 of 5,432
bryan8392

Income to overall credit available across all accounts(amex and non-amex) is one of the key factors for Amex Internal Risk Score. Lower risk score improves chances of getting approved for the CLI.

Does anyone have any experience or know somewhat how this is calculated? My overall credit limit is already over my income level, so how much over my income level can I expect to get?

Message 220 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.