Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
stillirise
New Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide Discussion Thread

I have the Costco Amex and I just went for the CLI and got approved for the amount I requested (not the full 3x)

Here is my question:

Can I apply for another Amex card like the BCE or Delta Amex? Should I wait for 6 months or does it matter at all?

Starting Score: EQ 680 EX 731 TU 697
Current Score: EQ 742 EX 752 TU 743
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 751 of 5,432
Kaleid
New Visitor

I just thought I would post my experience since some people may be in the same state of mind as I was prior to requesting my 61 days CLI. I was approved with a CL of $13k,  I was slightly concerned of requesting over $25k in credit line, but told myself, what would I lose? So I went to request $35k and was instantly approved no fuss. I honestly was expecting a counter in the low 20s. I guess I will try again in 6 months.

So, bottomline, do not be afraid of requesting over $25k in CL.

Message 752 of 5,432
BigBS
Senior Contributor

@Kaleid wrote:

I just thought I would post my experience since some people may be in the same state of mind as I was prior to requesting my 61 days CLI. I was approved with a CL of $13k,  I was slightly concerned of requesting over $25k in credit line, but told myself, what would I lose? So I went to request $35k and was instantly approved no fuss. I honestly was expecting a counter in the low 20s. I guess I will try again in 6 months.

Congrats!

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 753 of 5,432
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@MustangSaluki wrote:

1) Click on "Profile and Preferences -> More Options -> Manage Credit Limit" under Account Management. With the card highlighted, you will get the option to "Transfer Available Credit to Another Card"

Clicking Start takes you to this screen where you have the choices and other questions.

2) Call and talk to CSR to initiate the transfer.

The 13 statement rule is in effect for both methods. Sometimes the CSR taking the request may not know about the rule.

Got an update that needs to be added to the guide. I finally got around to requesting to move some credit from a personal card to another personal card and noticed the screen was different for me, I got the option to move credit from personal to another personal or to a business card. See attached screenshot. 

amex transfer.png

Message 754 of 5,432
stillirise
New Contributor

Thanks for the info....had I seen more threads like yours...I probably wouldve tried for higher request.

I am still very afraid of getting too much. Its not that I will get in over my head. I am afraid I will appear high risk with higher limits and more cards. I see a lot of high limit cards in here and I am very impressed. I would like to get there someday but afraid I'll mess things up if Im not careful.

I hadnt done this long enough to devise a strategy. Everytime I think I "get" it...I stumble across something that contradicts the last thought.

@Kaleid wrote:

Starting Score: EQ 680 EX 731 TU 697
Current Score: EQ 742 EX 752 TU 743
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 755 of 5,432
dabearsv2
Contributor

My 61-day is coming up in 3 weeks and I want to do everything I can to ensure a 3x CLI!

I don't plan to app any other cards, and I currently PIF before statement cut on all cards, excpet 1 card ( Chase Freedom  that has 1% Util report). I have $3.5k ready to pay off my AMEX before statement cut, BUT would it actually be better for the 3x CLI to allow this to hit statement cut and THEN PIF??? This will be my last Statement prior to the 61-day mark, and my last soft pull by AMEX was last week, a month after the approval.

Current Scores: TU 760, EX 718, EQ 726
Goal: 750 across the board!
My Wallet: CSP 23.8k, AMEX SPG 15k, AMEX BCP 12.9k, Barclay AAviator Red 10k, USBank Club Carlson 10k, BankAmericard Cash Rewards 10k, Citi Plat AA WEMC 7.9k, Chase Freedom 5k, Barclay AAviator Red v2 5k, Chase Hyatt 5k, Amex PRG
Message 756 of 5,432
ford1926modelt

MyFico/Other Handle:
Initial CL: $1,000
61 day/181 day CLI: 61 Day 4/15
Amex Utilization @ CLI: Less than 1%
Overall Utilization @ Last EX Soft Pull: 0%
Ratio of Income/(Overall Available Credit) (4 decimal places): 57,000/21,200
Number of new credit lines opened since opening Amex account or last Amex CLI: 3
Total $$ value of all transactions since Amex account opening or last Amex CLI: $800

Also, waited 5 minutes applied for the New Everyday Card, I was approved for $3,000 which matches my now $3,000 BCE.

FICO EX- 717 | FICO EQ- 736 | FICO TU- 772

Citi ThankYou Premier- $5.5K NPSL | Chase Sapphire- $5K NPSL
CCCU- $5K | Discover IT- $2.5K | Chase Freedom- $1.5K
AMEX BCE- $3K | AMEX Everyday- $3K
Fingerhut- $700
Message 757 of 5,432
ff4930
New Visitor

I went online to do my 3x CLI, my current limit is 15k.  So I did 45k and it gave me the dreading "wait 7-10 days" reply.

I then call AMEX and asked them what was the lowest CLI they can give me and the rep was willing to submit requests for me.  We tried 40k and it did not work, we tried 35k and it did not work so finally I said lets try 30k and it went through!  So I had them cancel my prior CLI requests and went with the 30k increase.  

What I imagined the rep did, I could do the same which was just keep submitting CLI request online.  One good thing from calling them was having the rep cancel the other rejected requests.

TLDR - current limit went from 15k - 30k after having the rep do multiple requests.

Message 758 of 5,432
mster
Established Member

Received a measly 1k CLI offer from AmEx last week and took it without thinking it would affect my ability to request CLIs in the future. If they emailed me to let me know that I was eligible for a specific CLI amount, which I then accepted, do I really have to wait anohter 6 months to request another CLI?

EXPERIAN: 817 ------ EQUIFAX: 812 ------ TRANSUNION: 814
Message 759 of 5,432
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

I think the clock only starts when you request the CLI

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 760 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.