Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
uswala
Senior Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide Discussion Thread

@stevie_v wrote:

Hit 61 days yesterday and did the request today. Asked for double limit - going to 20K from 10K. Approved instantly. Probably could have gone to 25K, but 20K is just fine for me.

MyFico/Other Handle: stevie_v
Initial CL: 10000
61 day/181 day CLI: (please indicate whether 61day/181day also) 61day
@Anonymous Utilization @ CLI: 0%
@Overall Utilization @ Last EX Soft Pull: 25%
Ratio of Income/(Overall Available Credit) (4 decimal places): 2.8571
Number of new credit lines opened since opening Amex account or last Amex CLI: 2
Total $$ value of all transactions since Amex account opening or last Amex CLI: 2000

Congrats!

Message 1211 of 5,432
Aarvard
Established Contributor

There have been some cases of successful 3x CLI request before 61 day mark
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/EARLY-3x-credit-line-increase-with-amex/td-p/3...

03/25/2015 TU 08 765, EX 08 747, EQ 08 757, EQ 04 754.
01/30/2016 TU 08 775, EX 08 752, EQ 08 744
Goal: 780+ across all models.
Message 1212 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for Amex Every Day Preferred Card a while ago for the start limit of $12,000. ( this is my second Amex card, I currently have a Gold Delta) and today was my 181 days, I requested a CLI from $12K to $22k and it was instant approved Smiley Happy

I do not need more credit at this time so the $22K is fantastic Smiley Happy

Message 1213 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

So the question I now have, which I thought I knew the answer to was, is if the 61 starts at each subsequent card opening. My initial thought when reading these early approvals, supported by some having multiple amex cards, was that they had requested a CLI more than 180 days on as previous card and the 61 days doesn't apply to subsequent cards so they technically could ask for a CLI on the new card and get it since it had been more than 180 days since their last initiated request. But I don't have all the facts...

Message 1214 of 5,432
ForumPheen
Regular Contributor

Looking forward to having my day.  Right now I am trying to gauge whether waiting is the better option; I was able to increase my CLs on nearly all my current cards, which should a)decrease my overall ratio and individual UTI per card since I have no intentions to pay off every card used this holiday season, and b) give me a nice boost in score since my overall credit will now report higher.

Doing the 3x CLI would add 15k, but I successfully added over 10k to my portfolio.  I iknow it doesn't hurt to go for it, but I wonder how I can maximize/leverage this for a stellar credit score boost.  I'm trying to hit 760 by May (EX says 741 now).  

Starting Score: EX 651/EQ 654/TU 668
Current Score: 735/721/732
Goal Score: 751 as lowest score by 8MAY15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1215 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the 3X today before realizing that I was a week early. In any case, I got the 7-10 days message. I called customer service and they told me that I was declined because I had insufficient history with Amex. They said I could reapply again in 90 days.

I asked if this was because I applied too early and if I could apply on the eligible date or if I had to really wait the full 90 days. She told me that the 60 (61 day) rule no longer applies at Amex! Customers may apply for a CLI at any time after receiving their card. She says they did away with the 60 day rule about a month ago. She also says that now, you must wait 90 days before applying since it is a real decline. 

This really changes a lot. Can anyone confirm?

Message 1216 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just told by a CSR that they did away with the 60 day rule about a month ago. 

@Aarvard wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/EARLY-3x-credit-line-increase-with-amex/td-p/3...

Message 1217 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Successful CLI for me a few days ago. I went from $5,000 to $14,000. I was nervous and did not ask for the full 3xs, but I'm very happy with my limit. I'm going to ask for $20,000 @ 180 days Smiley Happy
Message 1218 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the information on the 61-day CLI for Amex as well as the wealth of information on the forums.

I recently applied for a 3x CLI on day 61 (yesterday) and was approved successfully!

Initial CL: $2500
61 day/181 day CLI: 61-day
Amex Utilization @ CLI: 29%
Overall Utilization @ Last EX Soft Pull: 23%
Ratio of Income/(Overall Available Credit) (4 decimal places): 3.33
Number of new credit lines opened since opening Amex account or last Amex CLI: 0
Total $$ value of all transactions since Amex account opening or last Amex CLI: $761

Congrats to everyone else who were approved successfully!

Message 1219 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aarvard wrote:

I was told by an Amex CSR that they no longer have the 61 day rule. You can request CLI at any time after receiving your card. If you get declined, you must wait a full 90 days before applying again. The CSR said that they changed the rules about a month ago. 

Message 1220 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.