Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@Anonymous wrote:

I got 3x cli when i activated my bce and today is 61 days after cli should I do it? my experian was 741 when I got approved but now its 672 because of high balance on one card which i paid off already but not yet reporting.

If you got 3x cli, you need to wait 180 days. If they deny you then it is 90 days. This way you are going to be eligible. If you are not eligible, then they will auto-deny you, the good thing about this auto-denials is that they do not reset the clock. So if you want to try at day 61 or 75 or 163, go ahead, they can change 'the rules' whenever they want (maybe they will reset the clock on those that try CLI many times).

Message 1821 of 5,432
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@newhis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I got 3x cli when i activated my bce and today is 61 days after cli should I do it? my experian was 741 when I got approved but now its 672 because of high balance on one card which i paid off already but not yet reporting.

If you got 3x cli, you need to wait 180 days. If they deny you then it is 90 days. This way you are going to be eligible. If you are not eligible, then they will auto-deny you, the good thing about this auto-denials is that they do not reset the clock. So if you want to try at day 61 or 75 or 163, go ahead, they can change 'the rules' whenever they want (maybe they will reset the clock on those that try CLI many times).

They don't reset the clock during your waiting period.  Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 1822 of 5,432
dwayne4607
Valued Member

I stumbled onto this article when curious if AMEX Everyday Cash luv button was soft or hard pull.  Seeing that it appeared to be a soft pull and being well beyond the minimum period before trying, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.  $5,000 limit to $15,000 in seconds.  BOOM!  Great thread!

Message 1823 of 5,432
echo13
Valued Member

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide Discussion Thread

@MustangSaluki wrote:

@OhioCPA wrote:

It isn't clear to me from your post where the $12,000 put you at with regard to Amex exposure, but my understanding is that they will ask for a 4506T when total exposure goes over $34,500.

Amex HHS = 24,900 CLI back in August.

Amex Plat = Charge card approved in January 2013

Amex PRG = Charge card approved in January 2013.

Amex BCP = 4,000 currently.

The $34,500 overall exposure is a new one for me, but something definitely going to OP as a remark if there have been data points validating it. Thanks!

Does anyone know if this 34500 overall limit includes AU accounts

AMEX Green: NPSL | AMEX BCE: 6K | Chase CSP: 5K | Chase Freedom: 1.5K | Chase SW (AU): 10K | Discover IT: 2K | WF CashBack: 1K | Cap1 No-Hassel: 1.25K | Cap1 CashBack: 1.5K
Message 1824 of 5,432
Madoffed
Valued Member

Re: ot sureRe: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

I agree that the temptation to use what you've got may not be worth the risk for some.  However, the reason people drive for higher and higher limits is because every dollar more they have in available credit - assuming they do not increasing their spend - makes their utilization look better.  Managing their FICOs, for some it is an obsession.

Starting Score: EQ 586 April 2014
Current Score: 718 (EQ - MyFICO) 704 (TU - MyFICO) 701 (EX - Experian)
Goal Score: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1825 of 5,432
Madoffed
Valued Member

I'm sure this is covered somewhere in this monster thread - i dug around for a while, but couldn't find it - but, is Amex's financial review lmiitation after $25,000 on each card, or total across all cards.  I have one card at $25,000 (Everyday), $8,000 on two other revolvers (SPG & Costco), and a charge card.  I'm at 30% util on the Everyday - paying down to zero the month before my promo 0% rated expires in October - and everything else is PIFed.  At my next CLI window should switch to CLIing the SPG?  Or should I not mess with Amex anymore lest I trigger a FR across my whole card portfolio?

Amex $25,000 credit limit, per card or total relationship?

Starting Score: EQ 586 April 2014
Current Score: 718 (EQ - MyFICO) 704 (TU - MyFICO) 701 (EX - Experian)
Goal Score: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1826 of 5,432
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

Just closed my AMEX after another denial for a small CLI.  No need for an account that won't grow if I want or need it to.  All my CC's have raised my CLI's twice over the last year.  I'm going to trim down my credit lines.  I am paying off my Jeep quickly and will be paying cash for most if not all of my future transactions. 

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 1827 of 5,432
Mouseman

Posting this in case it helps anyone . . . So back in 2005 I opened an AMEX Clear account - initial CL was 10K or so. After about a year and a half, and through CLI that I had requested, or AMEX did on itself, the CL on that account was 25K. Come 2008, we're in the middle of the mortgage clusterfrag, the balance on that account is 17K or so. Got a call from AMEX - "you need to pay down at least 10K, or we'll be forced to reduce your CL". Guess they're trying to reduce their exposure, with all the foreclosures and stuff going on . . . I actually had the money to pay those 10K, but economy being what it was, I decided to keep the money in the bank just in case - so I agreed to the CL decrease. They set the new CL to 17.1K (yes, no shtick - like $100 ABOVE the balance, overall usage then went to like 99.9%, credit score took a hit). Anyhow . . . I paid off that CC on 2012 - zero balance. As the APR was kind of high, I stopped using it, switched to another card with an APR about 50% of the AMEX Clear. All good. Without me asking for it, AMEX started increasing my CL on that card. Out of nowhere, I would get an email - "Congratulations, we've increased the CL on your account!". They did that a couple of times (like, every three months or so), until the CL reached its current value - 22.9K. Again, due to the APR, the account sat unused - 0.00 balance / 0.00 utilization. Then in 2013 I get an offer from them in the mail (physical mail) - "get an AMEX Everyday, we'll give you 50K points (POINTS) if you spend $5K within three months of account opening, and 0% APR for 18 months ". It sounded good, so I applied - got approved with an initial 10K CL. I paid off the other cards, migrated to the AMEX Everyday due to the 0.00% APR. That card started to run hot - got to 80% utilization. Again, I could PIF - but heck, it's my credit line, I use it any way I want, right? so I chose to use the 0.00% APR, run a balance, keep the actual cash invested. Because I'm now at 80% utilization, I ask for a CLI online (yes, well after 90 days of account opening). Aware of this thread, and the limit of "34.5K across all accounts", I only asked for 2K CLI - keep me close to 34.5K. BOOM ! Got the "we'll get back to you on this one" notification. Within a week, got a 4506-T request . . . Now here's the deal - my reported income to AMEX was (and still is) actually *lower* than my actual income - I had had a couple raises, never bothered to update my credit profile/income w/ AMEX. So I said "frag it - I don't want to send this 4506-T BS" - so I didn't. Never heard back from AMEX, they left my CL on both cards untouched. Then about two months after I got that request for the 4506-T, I get an email from AMEX - "Congratulations, we've increased your CL on your Everyday card!". And they increased it indeed - to 17.1K. What the fsck ?????? So, anyhow: * I didn't send the 4506-T - they didn't reduce my CLs, nor block my accounts - no negative impact at al * they increased the limit anyway after a couple months - 70% MORE of what I had, which was 3.5 times what I had requested * my total CL across both cards is now 22.9 + 17.1 = 40K * carrying a balance on both cards now - on 22.9 CL balance is about $800, on 17.1 CL balance is about $1200 (overall and individual utilization BS for gaming the system, or try to - yeah, live w/ the higher APR on one of them . . .) Anyway - as I said, just thought this may be useful to someone. They didn't reduce my CLs for not sending the 4506-T, they actually INCREASED the CL on their own. So frag if I know how this all works @ AMEX . . .
Message 1828 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Madoffed wrote:

I'm sure this is covered somewhere in this monster thread - i dug around for a while, but couldn't find it - but, is Amex's financial review lmiitation after $25,000 on each card, or total across all cards.  I have one card at $25,000 (Everyday), $8,000 on two other revolvers (SPG & Costco), and a charge card.  I'm at 30% util on the Everyday - paying down to zero the month before my promo 0% rated expires in October - and everything else is PIFed.  At my next CLI window should switch to CLIing the SPG?  Or should I not mess with Amex anymore lest I trigger a FR across my whole card portfolio?

Amex $25,000 credit limit, per card or total relationship?

Generally per card but two things; 1) the $25K is not a rule.  There have been plenty of people get higher then $25K limits without providing the 4506-T and2) You can be asked to provide tax information at any time regardless of limits

Message 1829 of 5,432
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@dallasjetfan wrote:

Just closed my AMEX after another denial for a small CLI.  No need for an account that won't grow if I want or need it to.  All my CC's have raised my CLI's twice over the last year.  I'm going to trim down my credit lines.  I am paying off my Jeep quickly and will be paying cash for most if not all of my future transactions. 

I've had the same problem. Got  2 revolving Amex accounts over a year ago. My FICO scores are 70 points higher now than they were when I got the cards,  and yet I  can't beg, borrow, or steal a CLI. Each time I get some different dumbass reason. E.g. (1) I was turned for a CLI less than 90 days ago (2) my score isn't high enough (even though it's 70 points higher than when I got the card in the first place)

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 1830 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.