Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have two revolving cards with amex, you can transfer a part of your CL from one to the other.

Say your BCE is $30K, you can likely move $10K of it to the Hilton card. It depends on your current balance and available CL.

@dsotm76

Thanks so much for answering that.  I really appreciate it. 

I went ahead and requested a CLI on my BCE.  I only requested 5K to take me up to 15K and am pleased to say that it was approved.  I will probably move that 5K over, eventually, to my Hilton Honors card just to make them even.  Plus, I'm thinking about getting a new computer system and that allows me $1500 to spend and keep my util on the card at 10%.  I can also take advantage of the 0% APR intro rate right now and pay it off in a few months without having to get another card.  I'm pretty stoked!!  I really am enjoying my relationship with AMEX!!

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 4081 of 5,432
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Why didn't you request the full 3x dsotm76?
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 4082 of 5,432
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

@601flyguy wrote:

Well, my income is only 36K and I really didn't think I'd get a credit limit of 30K.  I don't want to be overly greedy either.  

Btw, does the 3X apply to the other AMEX cards like the Hilton Honors?  If so, I'll definitely request the 15K for that.

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Message 4083 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dsotm76 wrote:

@601flyguy wrote:

Well, my income is only 36K and I really didn't think I'd get a credit limit of 30K.  I don't want to be overly greedy either.  

Btw, does the 3X apply to the other AMEX cards like the Hilton Honors?  If so, I'll definitely request the 15K for that.

It's really up on you on how much you want to ask for, but IMO, it doesn't hurt to ask for a little more. It's not being greedy. Especially if the intent was to transfer a portion to another card. If Amex isn't comfortable extending the $30K, then they will counter with a lower amount. You may not have gotten that amount, but $10K would ahev been very nice to split. Now you will have to wait 181 days for your next CLI on any of their cards.  

Message 4084 of 5,432
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dsotm76 

It's really up on you on how much you want to ask for, but IMO, it doesn't hurt to ask for a little more. It's not being greedy. Especially if the intent was to transfer a portion to another card. If Amex isn't comfortable extending the $30K, then they will counter with a lower amount. You may not have gotten that amount, but $10K would ahev been very nice to split. Now you will have to wait 181 days for your next CLI on any of their cards.  

After the 181 days, do you know if the 3X CLI trick works on their AMEX branded cards like the Hilton Honors?  

Yeah, thinking back, I probably should have asked to go to 20K.  It's alright though.  I hardly use much at all each month.  :-)

Message 4085 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe it's for all Amex products. No personal experience with co-branded cards on that front, but have heard about 3X CLI on the Delta skymiles cards.

Message 4086 of 5,432
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

@dsotm76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dsotm76 

After the 181 days, do you know if the 3X CLI trick works on their AMEX branded cards like the Hilton Honors?  

Yes, every American Express credit card.

Yeah, thinking back, I probably should have asked to go to 20K.  It's alright though.  I hardly use much at all each month.  :-)

Message 4087 of 5,432
SummerOf17
Regular Contributor

BUMP^^^ Did not get a reply from You Guys so here we are:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am passionately waiting till this Monday - 180 days since my first CLI in October of last Year. At the time of the CLI I had EX 678, now just went up to EX 755(now that it is all clean on EX side).
Total Utilization is at 18.65% and Amex is at 35.52%. Total CL is at 53K. This is a 0% card till next October, that is why it has a balance on it.
I was thinking about moving this balance onto my Venture card(just got a BT at 0% offer) and then applying to the CLI on Amex. It does seem like it is going to be as it is a standard: 2K > 6K > and hopefully 18K this time around, but not sure.
What are my chances?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is Today; Forgive me, Father, it has been 180 days since I have sinned.... Smiley Happy

Account name  AMERICAN EXPRESS 2 - Date of request(s) 04/09/2018. So it seems to be the last SoftPull they did according to Experian Website.

Anybody wants to chime in before I pull the trigger?

P.S. Income is above $120K. 
Open Credit Cards - 5
Open Retail Cards - 0
Open Real Estate Loans -0
Open Installment Loans - 0
Total Open Accounts -     5
Accounts Ever Late - 0
Collections Accounts - 0
Time Since Negative - Never
Average Account Age - 2 Years 10 Months
Oldest Account - 5 Years 11 Months

EX has 3 ENC, 2 11 month Old, one 10 month old. Amex Acccount is 11 month Old.
Message 4088 of 5,432
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

@SummerOf17 wrote:
BUMP^^^ Did not get a reply from You Guys so here we are:
I am passionately waiting till this Monday - 180 days since my first CLI in October of last Year. At the time of the CLI I had EX 678, now just went up to EX 755(now that it is all clean on EX side).
Total Utilization is at 18.65% and Amex is at 35.52%. Total CL is at 53K. This is a 0% card till next October, that is why it has a balance on it.
I was thinking about moving this balance onto my Venture card(just got a BT at 0% offer) and then applying to the CLI on Amex. It does seem like it is going to be as it is a standard: 2K > 6K > and hopefully 18K this time around, but not sure.
What are my chances?

It is Today; Forgive me, Father, it has been 180 days since I have sinned.... Smiley Happy

Account name  AMERICAN EXPRESS 2 - Date of request(s) 04/09/2018. So it seems to be the last SoftPull they did according to Experian Website.

Anybody wants to chime in before I pull the trigger?

P.S. Income is above $120K. 
Open Credit Cards - 5
Open Retail Cards - 0
Open Real Estate Loans -0
Open Installment Loans - 0
Total Open Accounts -     5
Accounts Ever Late - 0
Collections Accounts - 0
Time Since Negative - Never
Average Account Age - 2 Years 10 Months
Oldest Account - 5 Years 11 Months

EX has 3 ENC, 2 11 month Old, one 10 month old. Amex Acccount is 11 month Old.

What Credit limit are you asking for? What’s your limit now? Smash the button! 😊😊😊😂😁😁

I carried a balance and got mine! Let us know!

Message 4089 of 5,432
SummerOf17
Regular Contributor

It is at 6K CL, Balance is at $2200+- as of today. So 3X would be 18K.

Message 4090 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.