Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide Discussion Thread

I have a general question- apologies if this has been previously answered:     Does the AMEX 3X CLI process work regardless of the card provider (example: Citi, Penfed, USAA, etc)?. If so, can I assume that if the card was not actually acquired directly through AMEX, that the best way to proceed would be to call the toll-free number on the back of the card (as opposed to logging into your bank or FCU website) and follow the prompts to request the CLI?

Message 1201 of 5,432
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a general question- apologies if this has been previously answered:     Does the AMEX 3X CLI process work regardless of the card provider (example: Citi, Penfed, USAA, etc)?. If so, can I assume that if the card was not actually acquired directly through AMEX, that the best way to proceed would be to call the toll-free number on the back of the card (as opposed to logging into your bank or FCU website) and follow the prompts to request the CLI?

Only cards issued through AMEX do 3x61 increases..  The cards that aren't issued by them on their network that run on the AMEX network do not have this feature.  Depending on the card USAA, Penfed, etc... however you go about asking for a CLI for the specific lenders would apply to them only.

Message 1202 of 5,432
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No, ihis thread is only for the cards issued by Centurion Bank.

Signature needs updating
Message 1203 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know, thank you very much for the responses- as you can probably tell I am new to MyFico forums. I have an AMEX through Penfed; any advice in regards to a best bet for acquiring another one directly through AMEX/Centurion? I am speaking in regards to odds of acceptance. I just received the Penfed card and 3 others this month (all I applied for in one day). MyFico's are currently Equifax 737, TransUnion 719 and Experian 716 and that includes the recent hard pulls (they only went down 1 point per each CRA). Expecting a little bit of a jump accross the board in the next couple of months as my overall utilization is going from a collective 13,400 limit/2800 balance to 53K limit/2500 balance. As of now, only one of the new cards is actually reporting. 

Message 1204 of 5,432
stagefoursurvivor
Established Contributor

I plan to apply for the BCP & PRG simultaneously in Jan/Feb. If approved I will forego a 61 day CLI on my current revolvers. The question is, if I delay the CLI request on my two current cards, when will the BCP become eligible, immediately or in another 61 days?

11/14/14 Total CL $1,100; 6/30/15 Total CL $180K
Message 1205 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone.

I did the 3x credit limit request and let me say that I did receive the 3x CLI but it did come with a hard pull on EQ & TU but maybe for the following reasons.

When I initially requested the CLI I had fraud alerts on my profile for all three major credit agencies. AMEX is known to use the last soft pull "Experian " as the vehicle for determining to approve your CLI. Since I had fraud alert Amex said they needed to hard pull, Of course I declined and canceled the request.Smiley Mad

I waited and removed all fraud alerts until the next soft pull from AMEX. When I seen that AMEX soft pulled my credit profile I initiated another CLI. I received the 7-10 business day notification "as expected because I tried once before", so I called The Line of Credit Increase Team at Amex which is the department to handle requests regarding the CLI ( 1-800-927-0632). I was told they can't process the request because I had already made a request within the last 6 months, but once AMEX seen that I canceled the previous request then AMEX said it was OK to process this request and to call back in 3 business days. I called back and was told it has to be sent to the back office and to call back in 48 hrs. I was approved after the 48hrs. I really didn't want a rep to process the request for reasons like these! BTW I made sure it was suppose to been only soft pulls only but unfortunately this didn't happen according to plan Smiley LOL.

I made the request December 9, 2014, Amex hard pulled me December 12, 2014, and was told that the increase was actually approved December 9, 2014. I checked my credit limit everyday and it was not increased until December 12, 2014. Amex also soft pulled Experian  on December 12, 2014. The CLI was approved but mine came with a price of hard an inquiry. So I was soft and hard pulled for this CLISmiley Surprised.

The moral of my story - If you are going to make the request make sure that you do not have any fraud alerts on your credit profile when AMEX "normally" soft pulls your credit profile "usually Experian ". This way you don't have to worry about having a hard pull like I did to verify your identity. I will include some helpful info about my credit profile for those who may want to compare credit profiles to see if they might be eligible. Luckily AMEX says it was a mistake and they're removing the inquiries "Eventually".  But hey I still recieved the 3x CLI Smiley Very HappySmiley Happy:

Credit score is EQ 703 TU 707 EX 710 they all were 50 points higher last month until I paid off all my credit card balances. I did not know that no CREDIT CARD debt will lower the FICO score if there are no installment loans on your profile. So keep that in mind. But those were the scores when I initiated the CLI and when AMEX soft pulled me before doing the CLI the second time.

Credit Utilization 0%

Thin credit history "3 years" with 7 new accounts. 2 accounts are 2 and 3 years old. AMEX is one of the new accounts.

No installment loans, No negative information.

The Amex 3x CLI was from 5k to 15K

That's It!

Side note, I also learned that for most of us we will get financial reviewed from AMEX if ALL of our Amex cards go over 25K. So if you have Amex Blue at 20K and have Amex everyday at 20K then prepare for a financial review because you're over the 25k threshold. I think this is critical information for those that do not want to give up tax information and/or possibly lose their AMEX.

Goodluck everyone, I will try again in 6 months.

Message 1206 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

This is great information. I can't wait to give it a try in about 50 days. Thanks!
Message 1207 of 5,432
Soni
Established Member

Thanks for the info desolatedata! Nice to know since I also have the fraud alert on my reports and my 61 days 3x request is in 10 days!!

Message 1208 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm.  I also have a fraud alert on all 3 of my reports due to a card skimming fraud incident on a Chase card about a month ago, but I had no problem getting my CLI just now.  I'm wondering if something else is in play there.

Anyways - super excited that I got a big CLI after just 48 days!  Not exactly 3x, as American Express was pretty generous with me up front - I went for 24,900 to avoid any shenanigans during a busy time of year.  This is my first account with them, so needless to say, I'm pretty impressed.  I guess American Express got into the holiday spirit... or maybe they think I haven't been generous enough with my gift giving.  Either way, a nice early present from AmEx!

Apologies if my 1.62x CLI isn't quite as much of a bonanza as everyone else's 3x, but I thought it might be a useful data point for the impatient and for the other lucky souls who got high initial CLs.  I'll be going for another similar ~1.5x increase in 6 months and we'll see if we can break down that invisible $25k barrier even more.

This CL is thanks to all of you - I would have had no idea to even ask!

MyFico/Other Handle:  goteki
Initial CL: 15,300

New CL: 24,900
61 day/181 day CLI: (please indicate whether 61day/181day also) 61 (well, 48.  let's call it 61.)
Amex Utilization @ CLI: 2%
Overall Utilization @ Last EX Soft Pull: 3%
Ratio of Income/(Overall Available Credit) (4 decimal places): 2.2550
Number of new credit lines opened since opening Amex account or last Amex CLI: 2 (but 0 activated/reporting so far)
Total $$ value of all transactions since Amex account opening or last Amex CLI: 2000

Message 1209 of 5,432
stevie_v

Hit 61 days yesterday and did the request today. Asked for double limit - going to 20K from 10K. Approved instantly. Probably could have gone to 25K, but 20K is just fine for me.

MyFico/Other Handle: stevie_v
Initial CL: 10000
61 day/181 day CLI: (please indicate whether 61day/181day also) 61day
Amex Utilization @ CLI: 0%
Overall Utilization @ Last EX Soft Pull: 25%
Ratio of Income/(Overall Available Credit) (4 decimal places): 2.8571
Number of new credit lines opened since opening Amex account or last Amex CLI: 2
Total $$ value of all transactions since Amex account opening or last Amex CLI: 2000

Message 1210 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.