Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, so I did not want to trigger a proof of income request so I request an increase to 24,500. I was initially told 7-10 but within a few hours recieved a confirmation of approval. Am I understanding correctly that there is an aggregate limit of 35k for all Amex cards under a single account holder or can I request this increase on my other cards as well if in total they will exceed 35k avalible?

35,000 total limit is what I heard. Without that tax documentation. 

Message 1371 of 5,432
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Quick question, I have my 61 day limit increase approaching but my initial limit was 16k. Do I still qualify for the 3X increase? Is this even wise with a starting limit so high?

...one of 4 things will happen 1) Denial 2) Approval 3) Counter offer for a lower amount 4) Request for a 4506T(sic) to verify your income via IRS reports ...if they deny your CLI request, they will give you a reason and you can recon via phone if you choose to ...I would expect a 4506T request if you ask for more than 25k ...if you've made on-time payments and your balance is not high, a denial is unlikely ...several members here report AMEX CLs of 50k or more ...you may get a friendly request to explain why you want the higher limit ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 1372 of 5,432
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

@Lemmus wrote:

...you may get a friendly request to explain why you want the higher limit ...hth

And out of curiosity, how should someone respond to that question?  "In case I ever have an unforseen emergency, I want to be able to have access to a healthy amount of credit" would be my instincts, but I don't know what kind of response sounds the most "responsible," and is least likely to scare them off.

Pigeye

2007 - 2010 low point: mid-500s

With the help of myFICO community, now: 714 EQ FICO

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 1373 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved from 2k to 6k today at midnight! Very exciting!

Message 1374 of 5,432
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Approved from 2k to 6k today at midnight! Very exciting!

Congrats

Signature needs updating
Message 1375 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx increased my CL earlier this month. I did not ask for this increase it was done by them. Can I ask for another CLI at this time? 

Message 1376 of 5,432
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AmEx increased my CL earlier this month. I did not ask for this increase it was done by them. Can I ask for another CLI at this time? 

If your time is up (61/181), then you can ask for 3X from your current limit.

Message 1377 of 5,432
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Well past day 181. Kind of fell off CCs for a while. Decided to go for 3x CLI on my oldest card (BCP turning 1 year in March). Have about $700 balance I've been revolving on Amex everyday ($2k limit) for a few months.

BCP initial limit: $7,400

Instant approval for 3x CLI: $22,200

Maybe could have received more but didn't want to push my luck. Smiley Happy I guess third's time a charm! Just ready for this to reach a year and re-allocate the limits. 

Message 1378 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@eagle2013 wrote:

Well past day 181. Kind of fell off CCs for a while. Decided to go for 3x CLI on my oldest card (BCP turning 1 year in March). Have about $700 balance I've been revolving on Amex everyday ($2k limit) for a few months.

BCP initial limit: $7,400

Instant approval for 3x CLI: $22,200

Maybe could have received more but didn't want to push my luck. Smiley Happy I guess third's time a charm! Just ready for this to reach a year and re-allocate the limits. 

@eagle2013,

Congrats..

Message 1379 of 5,432
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@CaSHMeRe wrote:

@dabearsv2 wrote:

I completed the 91-day and 181-day CLI requests and accepted both (5k->15k->21.9k).... When can I request another CLI?

Not sure ... But I also asked for a measly $5k CLI on my Bus Lowes AMEX today as well, and that one got denied saying I had to wait 6 months.  Here's the exact secured message received:

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for your recent request for a credit limit increase. We're writing to let you know we're unable to approve your request at this time for the following reason(s):

We cannot increase the credit limit of a Card within six months of increasing the credit limit on another American Express Card.

Wonder if AMEX is changing things up a bit .... 

This has always been the case and covered in the OP "Some generic guidelines" section in the end.

• Minimum 6 month since last CLI rule applies across ALL accounts held by an individual and includes both personal & business accounts for the same person. So if CLI was successful on a personal account, no CLI can be approved on all other personal and business accounts for the same person for a period of 6 more months. (Posts 5 and 6 of the AmEx 61 day CLI result: 7-10 day written response thread)

Message 1380 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.