Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

I finally pulled the trigger on my Delta card for the 3X CLI recently, about 3 months after account opening.  Zero balance and a 650 EX score according to the Amex site.

Denied due to "previous negative relationship with American Express."  I had 2 Amex cards IIB in 2006 to the tune of about $8K total. So there is such a thing as a partial blacklist. I got back in with Amex July 2016 with a Platinum charge, then the $1000 Delta Gold in October. 

It will be interesting to see how long it takes to grow the Delta card.  I might apply for a second revolver once my EX is over 700 and see what happens...currently I'm in the middle of rehab on a Dept of Ed student loan which is dragging my scores down.

Message 2931 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

reading over the beginning posts and I am curious to test the waters based on this:

"

The following often (but not always) are potential reasons why Amex asks for 4506T for a CLI request. 

• New requested credit limit exceeds $25,000 for that particular account.
  • New requested credit limit would make overall credit extended across all Amex revolving accounts exceed $34,500"

Because I'm at 46k revolvable exposure with them (18k, 8k, 10k, 10k) and they haven't asked for anything yet. I am scheduled for a 3x CLI request on the 8k Everyday this weekend, which if granted would put me at 62k exposure, and my salary is not even that much.

Message 2932 of 5,432
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I finally pulled the trigger on my Delta card for the 3X CLI recently, about 3 months after account opening.  Zero balance and a 650 EX score according to the Amex site.

Denied due to "previous negative relationship with American Express."  I had 2 Amex cards IIB in 2006 to the tune of about $8K total. So there is such a thing as a partial blacklist. I got back in with Amex July 2016 with a Platinum charge, then the $1000 Delta Gold in October. 

It will be interesting to see how long it takes to grow the Delta card.  I might apply for a second revolver once my EX is over 700 and see what happens...currently I'm in the middle of rehab on a Dept of Ed student loan which is dragging my scores down.

Thanks for posting this!  I was just approved for the Everyday Card and was wondering about the CLI.  My CH13 was just discharged in August 2016, Amex was not IIB but I do have a charge off from them for a significant amount..  So I may also be on that partial blacklist with you!  LOL!  I think I'll wait and see if they will do an auto increase!

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 2933 of 5,432
stargazer25
Regular Contributor

@azedd16 i should also add that I've ran over $1K a month with that small of a limit and paid off twice per month. 

Starting Scores: September 2015 minus 500 across the board
Current Scores: October 2017 EQ: 715 TU: 710 EX: 716
In My Wallet:
Cap1 QS: $4.8K - AMEX BCP: $4.2K - Old Navy Visa: $7K - Nordstrom $3.8K - VS $500 (FTW!)
BofA AU: $12K AMEX AU: $25K
Business: AMEX BCP $15K
Message 2934 of 5,432
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, does the PRG have a spending limit?

Yep, it definitely has a limit, just not a pre-set one.  Smiley Happy

If you need to make a large purchase you can either call them up or check your spending ability on the website to make sure it will be approved.

Message 2935 of 5,432
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm on the "partial blacklist" as well, also due to a previous account IIBK (mine was back in 2000).

My BCP was approved with a SL of $1k in May 2015, and a year later I went for the Delta which was also approved for $1k.  All of my CLI requests have been declined due to the same reason you mention (on both cards).  

In November, I got a 'surprise' auto 3x CLI on the BCP making the new CL $3k.  Reading on here that auto-CLIs don't reset the clock I then tried for a CLI on the Delta, but it was declined (I never got the letter, but I'm sure it was for the same reason as always).

Interestingly, I applied for an Everyday card last month and it was approved for $8k, so they are slowly warming up to me, but I'm not hopeful that any CLI request initiated by me will ever be approved at this point.  As long as my CLs are usable - which they are - I guess I shouldn't let it bother me... LOL.

Message 2936 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gardener76 - Say you're approved for a CLI at day 61 is it 180 days from then for your next CLI or 180 days since you opened the account.
Message 2937 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right.

Getting a CLI after a previous one resets the clock. If you have more than one AMEX revolver, it's one per account, rather than card, every 180 days.

The 61 day thing is just for new cardmembers.
Message 2938 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know if it goes the same for Amex Business cards as well? I have the SimplyCash with 6k SL
Message 2939 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone ever get this message after an online Amex CLI request?

Request a Line of Credit Increase

Our systems are updating.
Your request for a line of credit increase cannot be processed at this time.
We apologize for the inconvenience, please try again in 24 hours.

I'm at 180 days since my last increase so went online just a few minutes ago to try for another.  The above message is what I got.  I've never heard of this so I wanted to mention it in here.

My current limit is $30k BTW, and I tried a $50k limit request when I got that message above.  I'm fully expecting to get rejected (IV form prompt) with the limit I'm expecting, but I'm going to go ahead and hit the back button and keep dropping it by $1k until I get to $40k, then drop it by $500 from $39.5k down until I get an approval.  That's the plan, anyway.

Message 2940 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.