Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a question. 

AMEX BCP opened on 4/4/17 which would put my 61 days at 6/5/17 (6/6 just to be safe) and my EXP score was a 701.

AMEX finally reported to EXP yesterday and the scored dropped to 685 (which was expected with my AAOA droping from 6.8 to 6.5). Overall Utilizatoin for all cards reported is at 40% (I have a few cards above 75%). Keep in mind, all my debt will be nearly down to zero by the fall.

I've been paying the statement balance on the April and May statements and currently have 10% Utilization on the card. Would it be wise to wait for my EXP score to get back to the 700 level before pulling the trigger on the 61 day CLI?

40% and you are seeking more credit.  there is your answer.  your aaoa has less to do with your drop vs your util. 

Actually it does. 

Lets go back to last Fall. Overall Utilization was nearly 90% with scores in the 640. So since that time to before I was approved for AMEX in April, utlization dropped significantly every month (with CLI's from other issuers)  and my scores rose 64 points. I'm not looking to increase or abuse my overall utilization currently, it actually keeps going down. Only thing significant that has happen is the single AMEX inquire and the single AMEX "New Account" now being reported which saw the score drop 16 points. I'm not asking why the score dropped. I'm asking if it would be wise to burn a 61 day CLI or not to burn it and wait for the score to rebound. 

I answered your question. do the cli and see what happens.  for science.  nobody has a crystal ball into any of this, I just got a ED with a $22k Sl and my scores when up 8 pts when it hit.  do things that make sense is what I would suggest.  high util no matter how you package it does not make sense

Look, I realize this is a friendly community but no need to get all sarcastic or short about it. Maybe you are just having a bad day..yeesh.

you are looking for answers to a question you already know.  I am having a great day.   I don't use credit, I use cards.  what is your purpose in obtaining more credit?

Well for starters..I have a $1k SL with BCP so yeah I obviously would like to see that go up to a certain goal where I can then close some non-prime store cards I no longer would need in the future. Also, obtaining credit limit increases via SP to pad my credit profile is always nice in case something goes wrong in the future, why would I say no to that or auto CLI? Yes, I do use my cards resonsibily now and pay them responsibly, so just like you, I use cards vs non use.

No, I don't know the answer to my question as I don't have any experience with AMEX, hence why I'm asking the dang question in the first place with others who had a similar experience

Message 3251 of 5,432
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a question. 

AMEX BCP opened on 4/4/17 which would put my 61 days at 6/5/17 (6/6 just to be safe) and my EXP score was a 701.

AMEX finally reported to EXP yesterday and the scored dropped to 685 (which was expected with my AAOA droping from 6.8 to 6.5). Overall Utilizatoin for all cards reported is at 40% (I have a few cards above 75%). Keep in mind, all my debt will be nearly down to zero by the fall.

I've been paying the statement balance on the April and May statements and currently have 10% Utilization on the card. Would it be wise to wait for my EXP score to get back to the 700 level before pulling the trigger on the 61 day CLI?

40% and you are seeking more credit.  there is your answer.  your aaoa has less to do with your drop vs your util. 

Actually it does. 

Lets go back to last Fall. Overall Utilization was nearly 90% with scores in the 640. So since that time to before I was approved for AMEX in April, utlization dropped significantly every month (with CLI's from other issuers)  and my scores rose 64 points. I'm not looking to increase or abuse my overall utilization currently, it actually keeps going down. Only thing significant that has happen is the single AMEX inquire and the single AMEX "New Account" now being reported which saw the score drop 16 points. I'm not asking why the score dropped. I'm asking if it would be wise to burn a 61 day CLI or not to burn it and wait for the score to rebound. 

I answered your question. do the cli and see what happens.  for science.  nobody has a crystal ball into any of this, I just got a ED with a $22k Sl and my scores when up 8 pts when it hit.  do things that make sense is what I would suggest.  high util no matter how you package it does not make sense

Look, I realize this is a friendly community but no need to get all sarcastic or short about it. Maybe you are just having a bad day..yeesh.

you are looking for answers to a question you already know.  I am having a great day.   I don't use credit, I use cards.  what is your purpose in obtaining more credit?

Well for starters..I have a $1k SL with BCP so yeah I obviously would like to see that go up to a certain goal where I can then close some non-prime store cards I no longer would need in the future. Also, obtaining credit limit increases via SP to pad my credit profile is always nice in case something goes wrong in the future, why would I say no to that or auto CLI? Yes, I do use my cards resonsibily now and pay them responsibly, so just like you, I use cards vs non use.

No, I don't know the answer to my question as I don't have any experience with AMEX, hence why I'm asking the dang question in the first place with others who had a similar experience

fine.  to be crystal clear use the crap out of any card you want to cli and report a low - 1%-5% util when you cli it.  I dont cli cards because my lines are high enough for my needs but this is what I have done in the past and it has worked well.  or it could have been something else in my profile that worked well.  one never knows.  I have heard that low cls like yours are sometimes hard to bring up, hope that is not the case for you.  its a real pickle, idealy one want a 720+ to get a card or cli buts it hard to get to that place.  are you a member of nfcu or ex military?  great place along with cap1 for rebuilders imo

Message 3252 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh y'all, play nicely....

On topic: YMMV "Your Mileage May Vary"

Inn my case, I started with a 1k limit on my ED card. At day 61, I tried for the 3X and was declined. 91 days later, they gave me the full 3X.

I was in the 670's when I got the card in Oct of '15. Now I am at 746 (per their scorecard) and have gotten it bumped a couple times to 18k!

There's no hard and fast rule to the 3X CLI thing.
Message 3253 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Oh y'all, play nicely....

On topic: YMMV "Your Mileage May Vary"

Inn my case, I started with a 1k limit on my ED card. At day 61, I tried for the 3X and was declined. 91 days later, they gave me the full 3X.

I was in the 670's when I got the card in Oct of '15. Now I am at 746 (per their scorecard) and have gotten it bumped a couple times to 18k!

There's no hard and fast rule to the 3X CLI thing.

Thanks for replying with your AMEX experience in regards to the 61 day 3x question Smiley Happy.

Message 3254 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO, no one should ever apply for a CLI if their aggregate utilization is above 20%.  Really even if it's a double-digit number.  Not only does it not give you the best chance at a favorable CLI result, but if you can't pay your utilization down to that amount it's probably not the greatest idea to be adding more available credit to your profile.

Message 3255 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

When is the best time to ask for 3X my credit limit.

For what i read, most people who ask at day 61 get declined.

For others, it goes through.

Honestly, I really would like to wait at day 91 or 181 to fully get advantage for the 3X the limit

I was approved for Hilton Honors on 4/1, and Delta Gold 4/7.

Message 3256 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried at 65, denied. Tried again 91 days later, approved. Started Oct '15 at 1k, now at 18k. Time, usage and patience are key with AMEX 3X thing.
Message 3257 of 5,432
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When is the best time to ask for 3X my credit limit.

For what i read, most people who ask at day 61 get declined.

For others, it goes through.

Honestly, I really would like to wait at day 91 or 181 to fully get advantage for the 3X the limit

I was approved for Hilton Honors on 4/1, and Delta Gold 4/7.

You can ask any time you want to. It's not going to reset a clock or anything. If you dont get it. Wait 91 days and try again. Once you receive the first increase. The others will fall 180 days apart.

Message 3258 of 5,432
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

Quick dilemma that I'm in...

My 61st day of account opening is tomorrow and I want to request a 3x CLI. My CL is $14,500, should I ask for the full $43,500 or not?

I don't want to go through the trouble of filling out one of those tax forms.

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers!
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

TCL: $571.05k CCs:23 AAoA: 6yr 1mo Util: ~1% Derog: 0

Mortgage: $215.1k Sonata Lease: $1.3k Palisade: $23.8k
Message 3259 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Back up and enter amounts of 1k less per try until it's automatic. That is, if you get the 4506 request...
Message 3260 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.