Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

AMEX BCE

I have read the AMEX thread regarding 61 days CLI ( very impressvie and informative thread) My hubby has had his card since 12/17 so well past the 61 days but we just used it this past month for the first time and paid in full when statement cut.  

So I am thinking we should use card again and then pay off before requesting a CLI, would that be the best route. I read about the 61 days but I assume you should use the card some correct?

Thanks

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3941 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX BCE

Good question. I have seen some (only a scant few) who were denied a 61-day CLI for reasons that were hard to discern since a lot of the posts didn’t have enough information. However, since nothing is a guarantee, it probably would be a good idea to run some swipes and PIF again during the next billing cycle. Is he working on a SUB? If so, perhaps finish the buys required for the SUB and then request CLI. I’m sure there will be others more experienced that weigh-in. I like my BCE, and have had good luck with rapid SUB posting and a 61-day 3X CLI. Please keep us posted!
Message 3942 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Hey Guys! I am fairly new here so I definitely need some guidance. I have been a long time AMEX member (2010) with my PRG and finally applied for an AMEX Everyday Credit Card. Instantly got approved for $2000. Reading through the pages... well more like perusing through... I'm getting that since I got approved today, my first CLI request should be on May 18 (61 days from today) for $6000. Did i get that right? I am working on improving my credit score by trying to pay off my higher balance cards and with this CLI's then my utilization would really jump high. Here's to hoping I get approved on May 18! Smiley Happy

Message 3943 of 5,432
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thanks I think I will take your advice and run some more through the card PIF and wait a little bit. This card has a very low limt 500CL yes didn't think they went that low, so I am thinking patience is the best thing with this card. We are just very happy to get back in with themSmiley Happy Sometimes steady wins the race!

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3944 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get an offer for a signup bonus with the BCE?  (The SUB is usually $150 statement credit after spending $1,000 in the first three months).  If you did not receive a signup bonus offer and your initial credit limit is only $500 that means you are in American Express' version of "credit steps" which comes with several specific conditions.  Did you receive an email or letter spelling out those conditions?

With credit steps you are required to wait for 6 statement cuts (at least 180 days) and statisfy the conditons and Amex will automatically grant a 2X CLI.  If you request a CLI before then in all likelihood you will be denied.  What was your hubby's Experian FICO 8 score when the BCE was approved?

@Jnbmom
@Jnbmom wrote:

AMEX BCE

I have read the AMEX thread regarding 61 days CLI ( very impressvie and informative thread) My hubby has had his card since 12/17 so well past the 61 days but we just used it this past month for the first time and paid in full when statement cut.  

So I am thinking we should use card again and then pay off before requesting a CLI, would that be the best route. I read about the 61 days but I assume you should use the card some correct?

Thanks

@Jnbmom wrote:

Thanks I think I will take your advice and run some more through the card PIF and wait a little bit. This card has a very low limt 500CL yes didn't think they went that low, so I am thinking patience is the best thing with this card. We are just very happy to get back in with themSmiley Happy Sometimes steady wins the race!

Message 3945 of 5,432
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I don't remember receiving the credit steps email but we could have. His FIco was wrong 656 when he was approved.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3946 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, that's a marginal approval and most likely you'll have to wait 180 days from the opening of the account for an auto-CLI to $1,000 then you can make your own 3X CLI request.

@Jnbmomwrote:
I don't remember receiving the credit steps email but we could have. His FIco was wrong 656 when he was approved.

Message 3947 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

not sure what amount to ask for...might wait a beat until scores jump..will keep you posted

Message 3948 of 5,432
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Yup, I’ve seen that it takes a bit longer for American Express cards with 500-1000 SL to get 3X CLI. Usually a denial at 61 days and a possible approval at 91 days after. ~5 Months. They gave a low limit because they want to see some history, paying/Spending etc...
Message 3949 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just did 34.5K(plus 4.5K)...approved......

Message 3950 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.