Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Well, I'm glad to not be alone in it, though your scores are considerably higher than mine (with better overall credit limits in cards as per your sig) so I'm also a bit worried now that it won't be coming on day 90. 

Message 1691 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to get my EDP someday soon, was shipped on the 2nd. Maybe get it next week? But I wanted to know...
Should I activate and request CLI 3x online or fail to activate and request CLI?
Message 1692 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. So If I am reading this correctly, we basically request 3x and in actuality we end up only getting 2X? Limits are capped at 200% increase.:

" So American Amex credit limits are capped at 200% increase. Update: Requesting CLI > 3X no longer results in automatic denial. If the account is eligible for CLI, then new limit is counter offered keeping the 200% cap in effect(meaning CLI counter offered will not exceed 3X current limit under any scenario)"

Message 1693 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just applied for Amex Blue Cash Preferred and got approved instantly for 4K, I called the rep and asked if I have to wait the 60 days rule to apply for increase and she told me that recently they changed the rules and you can now request an increase upon receiving the card, but was advising me that they like to have more history of usage / payment ...

3 days after i received my card, haven't used it yet, I pulled the trigger and asked for the 3xcli so $12K, I got that 7-10 days message.

Following day I got an email to click on a link to review their decision .... to my surprise I was APPROVED !!!!

so yes, you can request upon activation (before 60 days) and yes you can get approved after 7-10 days message.

Message 1694 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I CONFIRM THAT YOU CAN REQUEST 3X CLI UPON ACTIVATION (NO 60 DAYS) AND YOU CAN BE APPROVED FOR FULL AMOUNT AFTER 7-10 DAYS MESSAGE

Message 1695 of 5,432
JB09
Established Member

If I am understanding this correctly I am uneligible for a CLI on my new card. I just applied and was approved for the AMEX Everyday Preferred card with a CL of $7500. In March I applied and was approved for AMEX SPG with a $3000 limit, upon activation of the card I did the CLI request online and was automatically approved for $9000. Due to this request and approval being within the past 180, am I inelligilbe for approval of a CLI on my new AMEX Everyday Preferred card?

Message 1696 of 5,432
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm going to get my EDP someday soon, was shipped on the 2nd. Maybe get it next week? But I wanted to know...
Should I activate and request CLI 3x online or fail to activate and request CLI?

I think you need to activate the card, then request CLI. But you can try CLI first if you want and report your results.

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok. So If I am reading this correctly, we basically request 3x and in actuality we end up only getting 2X? Limits are capped at 200% increase.:

" So American Amex credit limits are capped at 200% increase. Update: Requesting CLI > 3X no longer results in automatic denial. If the account is eligible for CLI, then new limit is counter offered keeping the 200% cap in effect(meaning CLI counter offered will not exceed 3X current limit under any scenario)"

We request 3X the original limit, that equals to 200% increase. My limit was 2K, asked for 3X = 6K, the increase was 200% = 4K.

@JB09 wrote:

If I am understanding this correctly I am uneligible for a CLI on my new card. I just applied and was approved for the AMEX Everyday Preferred card with a CL of $7500. In March I applied and was approved for AMEX SPG with a $3000 limit, upon activation of the card I did the CLI request online and was automatically approved for $9000. Due to this request and approval being within the past 180, am I inelligilbe for approval of a CLI on my new AMEX Everyday Preferred card?

Yes, you have to wait 180 days from your last CLI approval to be eligible to try a CLI again on another card. So mark you calendar for 180 days from March.

Message 1697 of 5,432
JB09
Established Member

Thanks, Newis! I was preety sure this was the case but wanted to confirm.

Message 1698 of 5,432
newhis
Valued Contributor

@JB09 wrote:

Thanks, Newis! I was preety sure this was the case but wanted to confirm.

You are welcome. Remember that everything 'credit related' is YMMV and change from time to time. Right now that's what apply. Even if you try before the 180 days and you get denied, you don't reset the clock. But for me is better to wait in case something changes.

Message 1699 of 5,432
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

My amex story. Not good not bad Smiley Tongue

Got my AMEX BCE first 3xCLI on Jan,5,2015

My next 3xCLI would be on July 8th.

Meanwhile got my new Amex ED approved on May 26,2015. Got my new card arrived June 1,2015. Tried for CLI after activation. Huh bummer. 7-10 days message and later got email CLI denied. Checked with CSR and being told " Credit limit increased in last 6 months" Smiley Sad

Now question to all.

Do i need to wait for another 90 days from June,1,2015 to ask for next 3xCLI from last denial date? or 181th day from last sucessful CLI date?

4/2024 FICO TU-840|EX - 838|EQ -840
Total Credit - $535K+
Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 840
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 1700 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.