Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Amex reps through chat are about the most inconsistent that I have experienced.  While generally they seem to "know their stuff" and are pretty quick and confident with thier responses, they certainly aren't consistent.  Next time you chat online and ask your question, immediately after closing chat open up a new chat with a new rep.  See how your response differs.

My favorite response when asking how often my FICO score on the site would update (which I know is roughly monthly) the rep said that the score will only update when there's a change to my profile that causes the update (like something bad happening) so it could be months. 

Message 2651 of 5,432
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

Got my Amex EDP with an 8k limit 40 days ago today. Read through this and also scanned the Amex boards...concluded that the 'rules' are outlines...lots of data for 31 days, 61 days. 91 days...took a chance Amex liked my consistent payments & I think I was right.

Opened Aug 12, 1 statement has cut, 4 x $400 payments with PIF at cut date, currently have $300 on the card. Went for it...approved for $24k.

Message 2652 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your big bump!! You had a nice SL to begin with, so with your big usage and profile, they saw it fit to grant you more. Like we tell most in here, YMMV.
Message 2653 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also got my 3x, brining me up to 32,900 (was 11K, requested 21900). I did have to fill out the tax info form though. This was for our Blue Cash Preferred that we use all the time for our groceries. Unrelated, this prompted me to go for a Discover CLI and they gave me an extra $7k with no hard pull. My FICO score 8 has been overing in 830's-840's lately, with one hit at 850 a few months ago. Hopefully the higher CL and lower utilization will let me hover closer to or at 850 now Smiley Happy

I'm curious what the upper limit is for Amex across all cards. This puts me at nearly 40K.

Message 2654 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Physh1 wrote:

Got my Amex EDP with an 8k limit 40 days ago today. Read through this and also scanned the Amex boards...concluded that the 'rules' are outlines...lots of data for 31 days, 61 days. 91 days...took a chance Amex liked my consistent payments & I think I was right.

Opened Aug 12, 1 statement has cut, 4 x $400 payments with PIF at cut date, currently have $300 on the card. Went for it...approved for $24k.

Very newsworthy post here!  $8k to $24k (3X CLI) at only 40 days.  Not sure I've heard of this before, so definitely a nice point of data for others that follow a spending pattern such as yours.

Message 2655 of 5,432
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

The Amex forums have a more varied set of data points IMHO. While everything here certainly is helpful it's definately driven to wait 61+ days. While nothing is guarenteed I felt I had a descent chance. Consistent payments (in time & sums) seem to be a significant driver in which 'window' you may fall into.

Message 2656 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't see what your EX score was at the time of approval.  I'm assuming pretty good?  With a $8k SL, I'd venture to guess your score was 725+?

Message 2657 of 5,432
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

I was at 737 EX, Fico 8...lowest of the major 3. My EQ & TU were a little under 750.

Message 2658 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha.  My EX was 736 at the time of approval and I received a $10k SL but waited until Day 64 to request the 3X CLI (and got it).  Makes me wonder if I had requested it earlier around the time that you did if I could have had success.  Unfortunately with these things there's never a way to go back and check.

Message 2659 of 5,432
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Finally got another opportunity to hit the luv button after being misinformed by several amex reps regarding correct dates to request 3Xcli. So finally hit the button today asked for 3k and they countered with 2k. Oh well I will take that. Valued lesson learned for me and hopefully others as well to not apply for amex products with scores hoovering in the low 600's.You might get the approval and it will be exciting but, you will be low balled for more credit with them for quite awhile even if your scores have improved over time. Be patient and wait until your scores improve to put yoursef in a better postion and starting limit makes a difference. Another important factor at least for me was missing out on that 3xcli upon activation period a couple years ago. Even if you where approved for a low limit you had the opportunity to not only increase your limit right after activation, but also had the opportunity to get another 3xcli after the 61 days. I am sure most members around here made their hay off that process.Smiley Wink

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 2660 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.