Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
JackBeNimble1
Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Inspired by this thread, I just requested that the limit on my Amex Hilton Surpass card be raised to $6,000 from $2,000. I've had the card for about 100 days. I received an email immediately afterward that said a decision had been reached and to call customer service to learn my fate. The customer service rep informed me my request had been denied due to a Chapter 11 bankruptcy from April 2011. She did say, however, that I could request that my credit lines be moved around instead. I have a $6K limit on my EveryDay card and a $2,800 limit on my brand new Amex Delta Gold. (I've had the EveryDay card for more than a year and Amex increased that limit without me even asking about six months into my membership.) I decided not to move my lines around as I figure that maybe Amex will automatically increase my Surpass limit at a later date or I can try again next year. The limit really isn't that important to me. But since I use my Surpass card the most and often run up close to $2,000 a month on it, it would be nice to have a bigger limit to lower my utilization rate. Again, no big deal but I thought I'd share this experience as yet another data point to be considered. P.S. My FICO 8 score is 686 at the moment.

Amex Gold, Amex Bonvoy, Amex Hilton Honors Surpass, Amex Every Day, Amex Hilton Biz, Amex Delta Biz, Barclays Arrival+, Barclays Rewards, Capital One VentureOne, Capital One Quicksilver, Chase Freedom, Chase IHG Rewards, Chase United Explorer, Chase Sapphire
Message 3431 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened my Amex everyday on 5/23 and today 7/24 is day 62 since approval of my 1k SL card. I requested 3k cli and was countered at 2k. I accepted the increase to 2k happily as any growth is good. My util on the card right now is about 60% of 1k balance. Fico score EX 720ish.

Message 3432 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I opened my Amex everyday on 5/23 and today 7/24 is day 62 since approval of my 1k SL card. I requested 3k cli and was countered at 2k. I accepted the increase to 2k happily as any growth is good. My util on the card right now is about 60% of 1k balance. Fico score EX 720ish.

I got the initial 3X from 1k>3k, next time they just doubled it, then at the third time, got a full 3X. I'm sitting at 18k now!! It takes time and patience, usage and payments and they'll show you some luv!!

Message 3433 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the initial 3X from 1k>3k, next time they just doubled it, then at the third time, got a full 3X. I'm sitting at 18k now!! It takes time and patience, usage and payments and they'll show you some luv!!

Do you think I should've paid my balance down more before I requested to get the full 3x instead? I'm keeping my util high to take advantage of the intro apr offer, I'm thinking that perhaps the high balance hurt my chances a bit.

Message 3434 of 5,432
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Pokex, that could have played into the decision.  My wife's first CLI was only from $2k to $4k as she was carrying the introductory  balance transfer offer on her ED.  Then the next one was a 3x to $12k.  Hoping for $36k on the next round!  If the balance transfer offer is saving you money, personally I think that's more important than another $1k right now - especially as with the payment history being established more over the next 6 months you know you've greatly increased your odds of a 3x CLI.

Message 3435 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know how it works if i got my 3x cli, but then was balanced chased down, can i request the 3x increase again??

I recieved by 3x CLI in 2015 to $24,000, went on a vacation and held a balance of around $7k for almost a year, then AMEX hit me with a decrease down to my remaining balance and continued to chase me all the way down to $3k, I currently have a $0 balance and wondering if i should request the $24k again or just $9k?? anyone have experence in having this done to them?? 

Message 3436 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone know how it works if i got my 3x cli, but then was balanced chased down, can i request the 3x increase again??

I recieved by 3x CLI in 2015 to $24,000, went on a vacation and held a balance of around $7k for almost a year, then AMEX hit me with a decrease down to my remaining balance and continued to chase me all the way down to $3k, I currently have a $0 balance and wondering if i should request the $24k again or just $9k?? anyone have experence in having this done to them?? 

You can only request 3X of your current CL. Gotta play the game...

Message 3437 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I just received my BCP in the mail.  Prior to receiving it or activating it I tried a CLI based on the red text in the original post.  I received a 7 to 10 day message and an e-mail asking me to call a number.  I just did and it said it couldn't find a CLI request status in the last 90 days.  I read somewhere you can't get a CLI before activation so I figure that was why.

Did this reset me to 90 days?  Now that I activated I kind of want to try again, but I don't want to risk making the wait last another month.  Any advice?

Message 3438 of 5,432
Gmood1
Super Contributor

There's no reset, you can try again if you want to. It won't affect future request.
Message 3439 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

7-10 day again Smiley Wink  Will try again at 61 day mark.  Worth a shot.

Message 3440 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.