Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

good news, no amex history, lot of very good chase history

amex business cash applied instant 2k limit, request 3xcli 5 minutes after apply - "please wait 5 days"

...card comes..activate, login 4k limit (2x achieved)

Very happy with my hard work, low credit history but high 7X0's on CK

Message 3761 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have 60K after 2 CLIs (11K->33k->60K) I tried 99K for 2nd CLI but slowly worked my way back to 60K after the "we can't approve you" messages. I think I could have tried 65K, but went from 70K straight to 60K. Anyway, for my 3rd CLI I tried for just 60K-80K and got the 7-10 day message. The letter came in and it was a denial. I have a new job paying slightly less but also have a Chase 0% card with a very high balance (almost 90%) as the post a few above. That may have played a factor as well. Anyway, I'm still pleased with 60K, as it is already a rather absurd limit. In other cards - I got both Citi cards increased, the biggest one 31K plus, and Discover finally gave me a second bump to 26K.

Hey Stettin.  What is your income reported to Amex and what's your EX FICO 8 score with them?  What would you say your typical monthly spend is on the card?  When you requested your 3rd CLI to $80k, were you not prompted with the IV lingo like you were previously and were just hit with a 7-10 day message?  Was that 6 months (or more) after your previous CLI to $60k?  Any additional data you can give here would be helpful.  I'm at $40k right now and am due for another CLI request in about 30 days. 

Message 3762 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a data point:

Went for my second 3X on my $15,000 BCE and rcvd the 7-10 day message. My EX has been sitting at 724 but recently dropped to 690 after my new car loan reported. I'm currently at $69,000 total exposure across 4 personal cards with Amex with zero balance on my revolvers but have a $1500 balance on my Platinum from a recent trip.   Hopefully my score rebounds over the next 90 days so I can try again. 

Message 3763 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a data point:

Went for my second 3X on my $15,000 BCE and rcvd the 7-10 day message. My EX has been sitting at 724 but recently dropped to 690 after my new car loan reported. I'm currently at $69,000 total exposure across 4 personal cards with Amex with zero balance on my revolvers but have a $1500 balance on my Platinum from a recent trip.   Hopefully my score rebounds over the next 90 days so I can try again. 

I've never seen a new loan drop a FICO score 34 points.  Something else is going on it seems. 

Did you have an old auto loan on your report that was only a few payments from paying off, and that loan is now paid off?  I can imagine that might hurt your score.  But 34 points for an auto loan doesn't add up.

Not having at least a small balance on one revolver can tank your score 15-20 points or more.  That's why we AZEO.  Did you have a small balance on one or more revolvers when you were at 724?  That makes more sense then.

Message 3764 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey ABC,

Nope, nothing changed on my reports (and I monitor them like a hawk) other than the new loan reporting and my utilization improving for the better. I'm at 1% overall util with one revolver only reporting as always. I do have another car loan reporting but the only change there is the balance dropping by $324.00 to around $6,000 remaining. I didn't cross an aaoa threshold either. My Equifax dropped 52 points, TU 29 and EX 34.  I was pretty unhappy when I saw the result.

Message 3765 of 5,432
BPebbles
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey ABC,

Nope, nothing changed on my reports (and I monitor them like a hawk) other than the new loan reporting and my utilization improving for the better. I'm at 1% overall util with one revolver only reporting as always. I do have another car loan reporting but the only change there is the balance dropping by $324.00 to around $6,000 remaining. I didn't cross an aaoa threshold either. My Equifax dropped 52 points, TU 29 and EX 34.  I was pretty unhappy when I saw the result.

Hi Scuderia, did you happen to have multiple hard pulls while shopping for the car loan? 

Message 3766 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi BP,

No, just the one pull from PenFed. There was no negative change to my reports other than the new car loan. I expected a 15... maybe 20 point drop, but not 34-52.  

Message 3767 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have 60K after 2 CLIs (11K->33k->60K) I tried 99K for 2nd CLI but slowly worked my way back to 60K after the "we can't approve you" messages. I think I could have tried 65K, but went from 70K straight to 60K. Anyway, for my 3rd CLI I tried for just 60K-80K and got the 7-10 day message. The letter came in and it was a denial. I have a new job paying slightly less but also have a Chase 0% card with a very high balance (almost 90%) as the post a few above. That may have played a factor as well. Anyway, I'm still pleased with 60K, as it is already a rather absurd limit. In other cards - I got both Citi cards increased, the biggest one 31K plus, and Discover finally gave me a second bump to 26K.

Hey Stettin.  What is your income reported to Amex and what's your EX FICO 8 score with them?  What would you say your typical monthly spend is on the card?  When you requested your 3rd CLI to $80k, were you not prompted with the IV lingo like you were previously and were just hit with a 7-10 day message?  Was that 6 months (or more) after your previous CLI to $60k?  Any additional data you can give here would be helpful.  I'm at $40k right now and am due for another CLI request in about 30 days. 

11k-33k was 83k, 33k-60k was 125k, 60k-80k was 115k. My last IV was at 85k, they have not asked for another this time.

Monthly spend was almost zero until about a month or two before I requested the 80K CLI, mainly because we were using the 0% Chase card. That could have been a factor, hard to say. My typical usage was about $1200 or so for groceries & gas. Nov was $200 or so, and the last statement that closed was $700 or so (most charges after the denial). My Chase was about 17k/20k util, and another card 11k/25k util. Overall util across all cards was 10% though. It was 6mo + (last in May 2016) since last CLI. 

The main thing I can think of is that 60K (50% of income) is pretty high for any single card in the first place. I don't know of anyone with a limit that high with my income. It seems pretty dangerous!

Did you get an IV to go to 40K?

When would I be able to request another increase, at maybe $70k? 61 days, or 181 days?

Message 3768 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Hey ABC,

Ok, any chance your one revolver reporting happens to be a store card?

Message 3769 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

No store cards in my wallet Smiley Happy I usually let my Barclays Arrival + report a small balance..

Message 3770 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.