Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thin Credit History

tag
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Thin Credit History

My first TU score was 731 with 2 cards and 2 HPs on TU (both cards open same time, score after 6 months).

DW score started at 720 with 2 cards open for 6 months, 1 open for 2 and 1 open for 1 (don't know if this last one reported before the score) and 4 TU HPs.

The problem you have is that you only have positive payment on 1 TL, but have 3 accounts that will grow your AAoA and help build your credit. I'll say go for 2 cards after 6 months, consider Amex, check prequals, then wait for 6 months and open a couple more. 

After only 1.5 years my DW and I have cards with good limits (more than 5k and few more than 10k).

Some people recommend a secured loan, to help the mix on your profile, if you want to consider it. Good luck.

Message 21 of 22
washington12
Regular Contributor

Re: Thin Credit History

I'd say wait a year before capital one. I just got approved for 10k for their venture1 and my average age is barely over 2 years so I don't see why in a year of good payments and nothing bad on your report you couldn't get approved. Although I dI'd have 5 cards at the time. Anyway I'm cautious maybe over cautious, but I hate to waste inquiries without results
Starting Score: 539eq 482tu 509ex
Current Score: 539eq 482tu 509ex
Goal Score: 650eq 650tu 650ex

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.