Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thin file inquiry!!!

tag
2NE1
Established Contributor

Thin file inquiry!!!

Hi everyone,

A family member wants to ask for some advice! She just hit her 6 month mark with a CapOne card originally approved for $300 CL. After good use of it, they increased last month's statement and additional $3K! She wants to expand her thin file and get two more cards. She has been wanting to apply for the AMEX TrueEarnings (since she only shops at Costco for groceries). What are the chances she might get it?

I tried two nights ago to pull her Experian FICO report but apparently you need to have your SSN for over TWO YEARS before they can pull a score! I didn't know/read anything about this before. With next month it'll be only ONE year that she's had it.

Last night we did the pre-approval link for CHASE and Freedom popped-up and also the CSP and Slate as 'additional pre-approvals', I went to Discover site and after filling out the pre-approval info, Discover IT popped-up. She already has a VS store card with a $750 CL and reporting no balance. The CapOne is reporting a $289 balance at the moment. I should prob add that she's a member of NFCU for half a year now and has her direct deposits set up with them. Perhaps she's got a shot for a cashRewards? or the Flagship?

CapOne CreditTracker: 675

CreditKarma FAKO: 728

CreditSesame FAKO: 725

Thanks in advance!!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thin file inquiry!!!

Weird about experian needing THAT much time.

Message 2 of 12
2NE1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Weird about experian needing THAT much time.

I know! My thoughts exactly! But that's what customer service told her when she called.

Message 3 of 12
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@2NE1 wrote:

Hi everyone,

A family member wants to ask for some advice! She just hit her 6 month mark with a CapOne card originally approved for $300 CL. After good use of it, they increased last month's statement and additional $3K! She wants to expand her thin file and get two more cards. She has been wanting to apply for the AMEX TrueEarnings (since she only shops at Costco for groceries). What are the chances she might get it?

I tried two nights ago to pull her Experian FICO report but apparently you need to have your SSN for over TWO YEARS before they can pull a score! I didn't know/read anything about this before. With next month it'll be only ONE year that she's had it.

Last night we did the pre-approval link for CHASE and Freedom popped-up and also the CSP and Slate as 'additional pre-approvals', I went to Discover site and after filling out the pre-approval info, Discover IT popped-up. She already has a VS store card with a $750 CL and reporting no balance. The CapOne is reporting a $289 balance at the moment. I should prob add that she's a member of NFCU for half a year now and has her direct deposits set up with them. Perhaps she's got a shot for a cashRewards? or the Flagship?

CapOne CreditTracker: 675

CreditKarma FAKO: 728

CreditSesame FAKO: 725

Thanks in advance!!

I think she should give NFCU a shot since she's already a member. They pull EQ for CC apps. If she logs on to her account she can see if a preapproval is available for either of those cards.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 4 of 12
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Don't trust the Discover site too much, it gives anyone a preapproval popup

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 5 of 12
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

As long as AMEX is able to access the FICO score, she should be okay. As long as no baddies it's not hard to get an AMEX revolver at 6 months. (cough) ahem VVVV

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 6 of 12
uswala
Senior Contributor

I think she should get Costco TE but I would recommend apping in store.

If she is prequalified for Freedom than it is a good card to get.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. AMEX

2. Sallie Mae

3. NFCU ... she will be shocked at the CL

I would get those 3 first in that order.  NFCU is the most relaxed as far as inquiries so you can put it almost last but definitely get it

In my opinion, she can get all of those cards you listed.   I would get the Citi then Discover then Chase Freedom.  Sapphire has an annual fee but good rewards so that may be an option.

If it were me, I'd also get the Walmart card at the end of the spree for the free FICO.

Message 8 of 12
newhis
Valued Contributor

I would apply for Costco TE in store, they should pull EX. Do the 3X CLI at 61 days if possible.

Apply with your CU.

Also Discover. Then garden for 6 months.

I will hold applying for Chase with such a thin file, the Freedom will not have a good SL and the APR after promo will be close to 22.9. It is hard to increase your limit with Chase, sometimes even a HP give you only a little increase. If CSP is prequal, then in 6 months apply for that, start with Chase with a 5,000 card at least, wait 6 months and apply for Freedom, you will get the card with a good SL, if you treat the CSP well.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

I would apply for Costco TE in store, they should pull EX. Do the 3X CLI at 61 days if possible.

Apply with your CU.

Also Discover. Then garden for 6 months.

I will hold applying for Chase with such a thin file, the Freedom will not have a good SL and the APR after promo will be close to 22.9. It is hard to increase your limit with Chase, sometimes even a HP give you only a little increase. If CSP is prequal, then in 6 months apply for that, start with Chase with a 5,000 card at least, wait 6 months and apply for Freedom, you will get the card with a good SL, if you treat the CSP well.

In-store app is best for this card indeed.

I wouldn't bother asking Chase for a HP CLI, either (again)

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.