Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing and Order to Apply for 5 Chase cards this year

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timing and Order to Apply for 5 Chase cards this year

Hi guys, I'm looking to get into points and miles a bit and apply for 5 Chase cards this year and I'd like some thoughts and advice on the timing and order to do it in.

My Background:
My annual income is around 75k, and my FICO score is between 787 and 820ish, depending on the bureau. I have no late payments and there's nothing negative on my credit report. My AAoA is either 74 or 90 months depending on the bureau.

I currently only have 1 credit card, from a local credit union, which I got 7ish years ago. I got a CLI on it, up to a 15k limit last August, so I have that hard pull about 6 months ago, but no other recent inquiries and no credit card applications in 7 years. Utilization has been between ~7-12% since getting the CLI. 

I had an auto loan with Chase at one point in the past but I have no other history with Chase.

The Cards I'm Looking At:
I'd like to apply for the Sapphire Reserve, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, the Hyatt, and the IHG card.

I know the first 3 are affected by 5/24 and the hotel ones aren't, so I'd sort of like to apply for the CSR first but I've read some people saying that having a history with Chase helps your approval chances and credit limit. I also have around $800 in airline tickets that I'll likely buy in the next few weeks, so that would help toward the bonus on the CSR, and to get 3x points for those.

Questions:
Do you think I'd stand a good chance at approval for the CSR right now, or would it be better to get another one of the cards first to have a few months' history with Chase before applying for the CSR? And if I got one of the Freedom cards first with no Sapphire card, could I still transfer those to Ultimate Rewards points on the CSR when I get it?

Also, I've read that you can apply for 2 cards on the same day and Chase will combine the hard pulls, but I've also read about some people that did this and Chase closed all their accounts. I've done lots of research and these are the cards I want to maximize reward value given my situation so I don't want to screw this up. How safe is it to apply for 2 on the same day? (Probably not with the CSR, but maybe both Freedom cards, or both hotel cards could be done together)

Also, would it be worth applying in-branch? Would that increase my chances at approval, or make applying for 2 cards on the same day seem less risky to Chase?

Thanks, I appreciate any help!
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Timing and Order to Apply for 5 Chase cards this year

Gonna cheat by answering in the quote too lazy to keep scrolling up and down for your questions.

@Anonymouswrote:
Hi guys, I'm looking to get into points and miles a bit and apply for 5 Chase cards this year and I'd like some thoughts and advice on the timing and order to do it in.

My Background:
My annual income is around 75k, and my FICO score is between 787 and 820ish, depending on the bureau. I have no late payments and there's nothing negative on my credit report. My AAoA is either 74 or 90 months depending on the bureau.

I currently only have 1 credit card, from a local credit union, which I got 7ish years ago. I got a CLI on it, up to a 15k limit last August, so I have that hard pull about 6 months ago, but no other recent inquiries and no credit card applications in 7 years. Utilization has been between ~7-12% since getting the CLI. 

I had an auto loan with Chase at one point in the past but I have no other history with Chase.

I'd like to apply for the Sapphire Reserve, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, the Hyatt, and the IHG card.

I know the first 3 are affected by 5/24 and the hotel ones aren't, so I'd sort of like to apply for the CSR first but I've read some people saying that having a history with Chase helps your approval chances and credit limit. I also have around $800 in airline tickets that I'll likely buy in the next few weeks, so that would help toward the bonus on the CSR, and to get 3x points for those.

Questions:
Do you think I'd stand a good chance at approval for the CSR right now, or would it be better to get another one of the cards first to have a few months' history with Chase before applying for the CSR? And if I got one of the Freedom cards first with no Sapphire card, could I still transfer those to Ultimate Rewards points on the CSR when I get it?

First thing's first check the prequal page to see what you qualify for. Based on what you see there will give you a good indication on where you sit as far as what you can get. Personally I think you would be solid to get what you want but doesn't hurt to check to make sure with their prequals. And yes any points you accrue if you decide to go the Freedom cards first you can save til you get your CSR and then transfer them over for the bonus.

Also, I've read that you can apply for 2 cards on the same day and Chase will combine the hard pulls, but I've also read about some people that did this and Chase closed all their accounts. I've done lots of research and these are the cards I want to maximize reward value given my situation so I don't want to screw this up. How safe is it to apply for 2 on the same day? (Probably not with the CSR, but maybe both Freedom cards, or both hotel cards could be done together)

Chase will allow you to use the same HP as long as the app is on the same day. I don't see any issue at all with getting the CSR and another card with the same pull. But I would strongly suggest spreading these apps out over a period of at least a year to reduce the change of AA with your Chase cards. Applying for so many in a short period of time especially with a thin file card wise would raise some eyebrows I would think if you tried getting all your goal cards in a short period of time.

Also, would it be worth applying in-branch? Would that increase my chances at approval, or make applying for 2 cards on the same day seem less risky to Chase?

I would recommend in-branch offers because they're slightly better than the public ones. The Freedom cards both have a $300 SUB for $500 spend at the moment and CSR has a 65k (?) SUB when including AU bonus. If you bank with them and it's not out of your way I would check with them that way.

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoirwrote:

Gonna cheat by answering in the quote too lazy to keep scrolling up and down for your questions.

@Anonymouswrote:

Questions:

First thing's first check the prequal page to see what you qualify for. Based on what you see there will give you a good indication on where you sit as far as what you can get. Personally I think you would be solid to get what you want but doesn't hurt to check to make sure with their prequals. And yes any points you accrue if you decide to go the Freedom cards first you can save til you get your CSR and then transfer them over for the bonus.

Chase will allow you to use the same HP as long as the app is on the same day. I don't see any issue at all with getting the CSR and another card with the same pull. But I would strongly suggest spreading these apps out over a period of at least a year to reduce the change of AA with your Chase cards. Applying for so many in a short period of time especially with a thin file card wise would raise some eyebrows I would think if you tried getting all your goal cards in a short period of time.

I would recommend in-branch offers because they're slightly better than the public ones. The Freedom cards both have a $300 SUB for $500 spend at the moment and CSR has a 65k (?) SUB when including AU bonus. If you bank with them and it's not out of your way I would check with them that way.

Really helpful response, thank you! I might wait until early 2019 to get the hotel cards then just to play it a little safer.

I checked Chase's prequalification page, and I'm pre-qualified for the Sapphire Preferred, Freedom, and Freedom Unlimited. I think I read that they don't do online pre-qualifications for the CSR, correct? So does it sound reasonable to go ahead for the CSR now?

You mentioned you didn't see a problem with getting the CSR and another one on the same day. You don't think they would think it strange for me to all of a sudden apply for 2 cards on the same day? Or would it be better to apply for the CSR now, then in 3 or so months apply for both Freedoms on the same day? Or I could spread them out a little more, only do one at a time, and do CSR now, Freedom Unlimited in May/June, Freedom in August/September, then the hotel cards in early 2019. If there's a decent risk of AA by doing two at once, I can do them separately but it would be nice to combine some of them if possible to reduce the number of inquiries.

I don't bank with Chase so if I go in-branch it would be solely to apply for the card(s), but if that would increase my odds of approval, let me make my case for why I'm interested in several all of a sudden, or get a better offer then I don't mind doing it. 

If I did apply for two on the same day, should I apply for both in-branch, or just do one in-branch and then one online?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm new to this and just want to make sure I'm setting myself up for success. Thanks again for all the help!

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoirwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

My Background:

Questions:

Really helpful response, thank you! I might wait until early 2019 to get the hotel cards then just to play it a little safer.

I checked Chase's prequalification page, and I'm pre-qualified for the Sapphire Preferred, Freedom, and Freedom Unlimited. I think I read that they don't do online pre-qualifications for the CSR, correct? So does it sound reasonable to go ahead for the CSR now?

You mentioned you didn't see a problem with getting the CSR and another one on the same day. You don't think they would think it strange for me to all of a sudden apply for 2 cards on the same day? Or would it be better to apply for the CSR now, then in 3 or so months apply for both Freedoms on the same day? Or I could spread them out a little more, only do one at a time, and do CSR now, Freedom Unlimited in May/June, Freedom in August/September, then the hotel cards in early 2019. If there's a decent risk of AA by doing two at once, I can do them separately but it would be nice to combine some of them if possible to reduce the number of inquiries.

I don't bank with Chase so if I go in-branch it would be solely to apply for the card(s), but if that would increase my odds of approval, let me make my case for why I'm interested in several all of a sudden, or get a better offer then I don't mind doing it. 

If I did apply for two on the same day, should I apply for both in-branch, or just do one in-branch and then one online?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm new to this and just want to make sure I'm setting myself up for success. Thanks again for all the help!

Message 4 of 22
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Man I wish I was in your shoes.  You can probably get approved for pretty much whatever you want.

Pick the two that would be most useful right away first.  If it were me, I think I would go for the two Freedoms first just to say hello and establish the relationship and start racking up points and establish a few months of good history.  Then get the CSR to finish the trifecta.  Then get the hotel cards whenever after that.

Message 5 of 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@MrDisco99wrote:

Man I wish I was in your shoes.  You can probably get approved for pretty much whatever you want.

Pick the two that would be most useful right away first.  If it were me, I think I would go for the two Freedoms first just to say hello and establish the relationship and start racking up points and establish a few months of good history.  Then get the CSR to finish the trifecta.  Then get the hotel cards whenever after that.

Couldn't have said it any better honestly.

Message 6 of 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I'll get to the rest of your concerns/questions later this morning just letting you know I read them. Well assuming someone else doesn't help before then.

Message 7 of 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@simplynoirwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

My Background:

Questions:

Yes, because the underwriting for the CSP/CSR are so close if you prequal for the CSP you can get the CSR. You have the AAoA and experience with high limits since the CSR will have a minimum SL of $10k at the very least.

While I don't see any problem in getting a 2-for-1 if you apply for the CSR first, you should do what you feel comfortable with to get the cards you want whether it's applying for CSR now, then next time for both Freedoms then end of this year or next getting the hotel cards. With all this just be aware as you already know of Chase's 5/24 rule and don't get left out of getting what you want if you have any other app aspirations.

As far as I'm aware of you have to have a banking relationship with Chase in order for them to pull up any offers they may have available for you to apply for in-branch. I don't have first hand knowledge if you can walk in without being a banking customer and see if you any offers. If you want you can try but I would keep my expectations low and if anything it'll be a nice datapoint to have for the forum if you do and report any success/failure.

I would say both online. I don't have any knowledge of the in-branch process without a banking relationship as I mentioned above.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot guys!

I might look into things a little further, especially applying for 2 cards on the same day, and whether or not I'd be able to get offers in-branch. I'll probably just swing by a local Chase bank Saturday morning to see if I have any luck with a potentially better offer, but I'll report back what happens.

Message 9 of 22
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

There’s tons of data points on this forum about applying for 2 in 1 day with chase. If they are going to approve you for the CSP/CSR. They will approve the freedom and they combine hard pulls.

My fiancé app’d for 2 cards in the same day. Did a in branch app for CSR at 5/24 exactly. Went pending and recon said no due to a store card being counted.
She went home and said why not since the hard pulls would be combined. App’d through the Prequalified offer for CSP and instant approval.

I know it’s not the exact same situation that your looking at, but if you do some searching you will find tons of threads on 2 for 1 at Chase.

Also you must have some sort of relationship with chase in order to get in branch approvals. She opened a checking account 2 days before CSR& CSP app. They didn’t even have a profile created for her. They said it takes up to a week to get her from one system to the other. I would imagine that in branch Prequalified Offers would take a bit longer.

I would go for it. If you can make the CSR and a freedom work for you. I would app both. Your profile supports obtaining both of those cards.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.