Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tip: Add 1-2-3 Awards to BofA Secured Card

tag
gibeon
Established Contributor

Tip: Add 1-2-3 Awards to BofA Secured Card

I couldn't find really specific info on adding the 1-2-3 awards to the regular fully secured BofA secured Visa. There are, as far as I can tell, at least three diffierent secured cards from BofA - the counter offer $99/500 secured card, the counter-offer $99/$500 rewards secured card, and the regular fully-secured card one applies for directly when they know (like me) that they will be rejected for the regular cards.

For people like me, who wanted to know how to add the rewards to the regular secured card, here's my positive experience:

Apped for a regular, fully secured card on 5/9/15 (not the $99/$500 secured card)

BofA took deposit from Wells Fargo Acct on 5/12/15

Online App status Updated to APPROVED on 5/16/15

I called the secured card phone number in the Backdoor Number thread on 5/19/15  (pressed 3 to ask for a CLI) to ask about increasing the limit and adding awards. I was told to wait until the card had a number to add funds and to find out if my card was eligible for the 1-2-3 rewards. (If you happen to have a Bank of America online login, you can see when a card number is generated as it will show up in your online account with the last 4.) 

My number showed up late this morning in my online account on 5/20/15

I called the same backdoor number this afternoon (and didn't press any buttons, as "add rewards" wasn't an option - it transferred me to a CSR pretty quickly anyway) on 5/20/15 and told the CSR that I had been told to call back after a number generated in order to add rewards to the card, and that I saw that a number had been generated.

He verified my identity, said he would be happy to add the rewards, but needed to go through a couple disclosures - warning about the card numbers possibly changing -  Then he said the rewards were added, and I should get the rewards card in 2 - 4 weeks. (I did not think to ask if the rewards will accumulate on my spending on the beige card that is coming first. I'll swing back around when I know.)

HTH,

Gib

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Tip: Add 1-2-3 Awards to BofA Secured Card

My DW got the fully secured Cash Rewards card, so that's an option too (a little over a year ago)

I added the 1-2-3 on mine by chat. IIRC the numbers didn't change.

If you add more money to your card it will be a HP on TU. So if you can use the limit right now, keep it like that. My DW waited 6 months then put 5k on the card, then asked for a Visa Signature a couple of months later and they auto-unsecured the card and gave her the new VS card with new number (same TL on reports).

Message 2 of 13
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Not to derail this thread but does anybody know if you could add benefits to the cap 1 secured? 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

When i got mine i called to add rewards. Lady told me specifically new card will take 2 weeks and rewards wont accumulate until you start using thst one. Hope it helps.

Message 4 of 13
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

DW was shot down via phone and chat today trying to add 123 rewards to her 99/500 card. Was told by both reps that she'd have to apply for that card, as the system didn't show this option available. It is her first card post-rebuild and her first statement hasn't cut yet, might that factor in? Is there a different number she should call?

Message 5 of 13
newhis
Valued Contributor

@-Cain- wrote:

DW was shot down via phone and chat today trying to add 123 rewards to her 99/500 card. Was told by both reps that she'd have to apply for that card, as the system didn't show this option available. It is her first card post-rebuild and her first statement hasn't cut yet, might that factor in? Is there a different number she should call?

I don't have experience with adding the 123 rewards just what I did, got it by chatting even before I got the original card.

I can tell you that I wanted to PC my Cash to Travel, asked by chat and they say that my card qualify but I have to forfeit the cash I have (around $12), I said I'll wait until I can cash back $25. Did that after a month or so and get into a chat again, now they say I have to call because they can't do it. After 2 days I tried chat again and they PC to Travel without problem. My recomendation is try again until you get what you want.

Message 6 of 13
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

@newhis wrote:

@-Cain- wrote:

I don't have experience with adding the 123 rewards just what I did, got it by chatting even before I got the original card.

I can tell you that I wanted to PC my Cash to Travel, asked by chat and they say that my card qualify but I have to forfeit the cash I have (around $12), I said I'll wait until I can cash back $25. Did that after a month or so and get into a chat again, now they say I have to call because they can't do it. After 2 days I tried chat again and they PC to Travel without problem. My recomendation is try again until you get what you want.

Yes, I was next to her for the call and the chat, and neither Rep seemed knowledgable. I'll recommend to her she try back on another day.

Message 7 of 13
gibeon
Established Contributor

@-Cain- wrote:

Did she call the regular number, or the backdoor number from this post: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/td-p/408066 

I called the 888 number listed in that post for Secured Cards and had no issue whatsoever.

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 8 of 13
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

@gibeon wrote:

@-Cain- wrote:

Did she call the regular number, or the backdoor number from this post: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/td-p/408066 

I called the 888 number listed in that post for Secured Cards and had no issue whatsoever.

There were two numbers, I believe she called the one that had the (secured/partial secured) next to it. 

Message 9 of 13
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

@gibeon wrote:

@-Cain- wrote:

Yeah, the one she called was the 800 number, you think she should try the 888?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.