Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To App for Citi AAdvantage or not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To App for Citi AAdvantage or not?

I have been eyeing this card for quite awhile now as I have been flying American Airlines for a few years now.

In October I get married and we plan on taking our honeymoon trip to Europe (we have been there a few times together so far and have racked up a few miles in the process with my AA account). We plan on flying to London or possibly Dublin as I have been to London twice now (love it there!) and then making our way through france, belgium, and then ultimatley ending in amsterdam where we plan to fly back home from. After a quick look, the trip will cost 45k miles and I currently have 28k saved up.. the Citi AAdvantage select card with $95 annual fee (waived for first year) has a 30k bonus mile offer after $1000 spent in first three months. Potentially I could get this card get the miles and then book the trip and pay around $500 in taxes/etc rather than the estimated 1200-1500 cost of booking the tickets each.

Does anyone have experience with this particular card? Is it worth it? do they tend to give decent CL's?

We usually travel atleast once maybe twice a year, typically oversea's to Europe, or to the carribean, so we don't necessarily travel a ton but we do put in a few miles.

I think I would qualify for the card,

748 TU from Disco card, 756 from my AMEX card, inquires are probably under 6 per bureau, no lates, new mortgage and new AMEX card recently. 110k individual income for myself,  1% util. Only cards I have are AMEX BCE ($11,500 sl) Disco IT ($9700) Regions platinum ($12,000) Macys ($6400)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

Re: To App for Citi AAdvantage or not?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been eyeing this card for quite awhile now as I have been flying American Airlines for a few years now.

In October I get married and we plan on taking our honeymoon trip to Europe (we have been there a few times together so far and have racked up a few miles in the process with my AA account). We plan on flying to London or possibly Dublin as I have been to London twice now (love it there!) and then making our way through france, belgium, and then ultimatley ending in amsterdam where we plan to fly back home from. After a quick look, the trip will cost 45k miles and I currently have 28k saved up.. the Citi AAdvantage select card with $95 annual fee (waived for first year) has a 30k bonus mile offer after $1000 spent in first three months. Potentially I could get this card get the miles and then book the trip and pay around $500 in taxes/etc rather than the estimated 1200-1500 cost of booking the tickets each.

Does anyone have experience with this particular card? Is it worth it? do they tend to give decent CL's?

We usually travel atleast once maybe twice a year, typically oversea's to Europe, or to the carribean, so we don't necessarily travel a ton but we do put in a few miles.

748 TU from Disco card, 756 from my AMEX card, inquires are probably under 6 per bureau, no lates, new mortgage and new AMEX card recently. 110k individual income for myself,  1% util. Only cards I have are AMEX BCE ($11,500 sl) Disco IT ($9700) Regions platinum ($12,000) Macys ($6400)

There is a better public offer right now 60K for 3k spend https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/60k-citi-aadvantage-platinum/   This is the highest i have seen for this card u want it jump on it now!

Message 2 of 9
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There is a better public offer for this card 60k miles for 3k spend AF waived first year this is the higest sign up bonus i have seen for this card. I would jump on it now if u want it.  https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/60k-citi-aadvantage-platinum/

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually just saw that, however the thing that worries me is what if I don't spend 3k in the first three months do I get no sign-up bonus whatsoever? I typically spend maybe 500 on my CC's a month generally. I would be worried that I wouldn't make the $3000 spend in order to get the bonus and that I would have wasted my chance at bonus miles. Is this how this work's?

Message 4 of 9
sdchrgrboy
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the card and love it.  However,  I don't think you will be able to get to Europe on 45k miles for 2 people.  I know their website says you can get to Europe for 22,500 using Miles Saver, but I belive that is for one one way.  Plus the fact you mention multiple destinations.  In my experience $25k is usually the rule of thumb for a round trip domestic flight and 40-50k is a RT Europeon flight per person in coach.  I just don't want to you to have unrealistic expectations.    I would go on their site and plug in some dates do you can see how many miles you might truly need. 

$325k Total Limits, 4% Util
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was talking for myself, I already went through the process and it was 22.5k points per flight for the dates I selected, for 45k total. She has the same amount of miles saved up so I may convince her into signing up for the card as well in order to get the flight as cheap as possible. Would you recommend the card? As I mentioned above, I would love the 60k bonus sign-up but I don't think I would achieve the $3000 spend unless I just irrationally spent more than I normally do lol.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry for the double post, for clarification I meant 45k miles for just myself, so obviously 90k total for me and her both.

Message 7 of 9
sdchrgrboy
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was talking for myself, I already went through the process and it was 22.5k points per flight for the dates I selected, for 45k total. She has the same amount of miles saved up so I may convince her into signing up for the card as well in order to get the flight as cheap as possible. Would you recommend the card? As I mentioned above, I would love the 60k bonus sign-up but I don't think I would achieve the $3000 spend unless I just irrationally spent more than I normally do lol.

The sign up bonus is great. But if you don't think you'll hit it, i'm not sure if I would apply,  If this was your only card, and you used it for everything, then maybe as you could build miles on AA.  Have you really looked to see what you could out on it in 90 days.  You would be surprised how fast it adds up.  Look at all your bills that you pay each month:  , car payment, utilities, etc.  You could pay those.  There are even sites that allow you to use your card to pay rent and your mortgage with a card with a small fee.  That would easily hit $3k. Just remeber to put aside the cash from your account that you would normally pay those bills with, and then just pay the card in full so your not paying interest fees.  I have used my cards on occasion to hit the minimum to pay Directv, my solar loan thru my credit union, and my lease.

$325k Total Limits, 4% Util
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the $500 just going out spend? Put your electric bill, cell phone, cable, etc anything that accepts credit cards as payment, put it on the card and see if that comes out to $3000. Just pay it off right away and boom you've got your bonus.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.