Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To HP or not to HP...? (BOA CLI)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To HP or not to HP...? (BOA CLI)

...And that is the question lol Smiley Very Happy

So! My third statement hits tomorrow for my BOA BBR card which I received with a 1500 starting limit. However, I logged in and was surprised to see that I already have the "Request Credit Limit" button on my account, so, I'm seriously tempted to go for it considering how generous BOA can be. I'll probably do it at the end of the month though once my TU score updates positively.

I know it's advised to avoid HPs, but I'm not going to be applying or hard pulling for anything new until 2020, so, trying to maximize what I can before the year ends so my accounts can age well and my inquiries can fall off together. Stats:

Score: TU currently sits at 728, will be getting a big jump soon, will update!

Baddies: None

Utilization: 1%

Inquiries: TU: 1, EX: 2, EQ: 3

AAoA: 11 months (oldest 3 years, 3 months// 4 newish accounts that are mostly 4 months old, my BBR being 3 months tomorrow)

Income: 54,000 (part time income, grants/scholarship, parental income)

Other Card Limits: Cap1- 750 // PenFed- 9000 // Discover- 1500 // Citi- 4500 // BOA- 1500

From what I've read, it's good to shoot for the moon in this case. However, I've heard it could be better to wait for your six month mark or request less for your first, but others say you should go for it as soon as you can and go big lol! So any specifics would be great. Any and all advice is appreciated! Thank you.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
DaJagman
Regular Contributor

Re: To HP or not to HP...? (BOA CLI)

6 months was perfect for me in 2014.  Went from $2500 to $10k........sitting at 30K now........I say wait till 6 months...

FICOs: EX: 840, EQ: 850, TU: 841
Bank of America Cash Rewards 50k
Diners Club Premier 40k
Chase Sapphire Reserve 50k
American Express Platinum NPSL
Discover it 47K
Message 2 of 26
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I got my first cli after only 3 months. With your score basically non existant inquiries and income, you should be golden . You should probably be golden anytime you go for cli every couple months. Of YMMV and anything is possible. Lol, ive reached my entire internal limit of 10k with Boa, i know my income doesnt quite please Boa, but you have all the signs i think they would want. Best of luckSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 26
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

...And that is the question lol Smiley Very Happy

So! My third statement hits tomorrow for my BOA BBR card which I received with a 1500 starting limit. However, I logged in and was surprised to see that I already have the "Request Credit Limit" button on my account, so, I'm seriously tempted to go for it considering how generous BOA can be. I'll probably do it at the end of the month though once my TU score updates positively.

I know it's advised to avoid HPs, but I'm not going to be applying or hard pulling for anything new until 2020, so, trying to maximize what I can before the year ends so my accounts can age well and my inquiries can fall off together. Stats:

Score: TU currently sits at 728, will be getting a big jump soon, will update!

Baddies: None

Utilization: 1%

Inquiries: TU: 1, EX: 2, EQ: 3

AAoA: 11 months (oldest 3 years, 3 months// 4 newish accounts that are mostly 4 months old, my BBR being 3 months tomorrow)

Income: 54,000 (part time income, grants/scholarship, parental income)

Other Card Limits: Cap1- 750 // PenFed- 9000 // Discover- 1500 // Citi- 4500 // BOA- 1500

From what I've read, it's good to shoot for the moon in this case. However, I've heard it could be better to wait for your six month mark or request less for your first, but others say you should go for it as soon as you can and go big lol! So any specifics would be great. Any and all advice is appreciated! Thank you.

TBH, I think that button is a good sign. It is a HP, and I have plenty of those. Both of my cards had that upon *ISSUE* -- though I am a Merrill Lynch Platinum Honors Plus client; nevertheless, I tried both. Travel Rewards went from $3.7K to $10K and Cash Rewards went from $3.7K to $5K. Both immediate approvals. $10K was my requested limit on the Trav Rewards (instant approval) and $10K on the Cash (they countered with $5K, instant). 

That 10K limit is by far my highest, then the Cash Rewards is next. After that is $2,200 with Discover. BoA is my JAM! 

I'm incredibly impatient, though. One of my biggest weaknesses. Best of luck, OP!

EDIT: I touched up the post. Bad grammar in some spots. 

Also, ETA: My scores weren't even where they're at now when they insta-pproved me. TU was in the 650's I think. I cannot estimate (negligible or significant) how much of an impact my relationship with ML had on the computer's decision.

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 4 of 26
601flyguy
Established Contributor

I'm wondering the same. Cli button showed up after my 3rd statement. SL was 2600 with 720ish tu score, its now 774. I definitely don't want to waste a hp though
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I got my first cli after only 3 months. With your score basically non existant inquiries and income, you should be golden . You should probably be golden anytime you go for cli every couple months. Of YMMV and anything is possible. Lol, ive reached my entire internal limit of 10k with Boa, i know my income doesnt quite please Boa, but you have all the signs i think they would want. Best of luckSmiley Happy

This is actually a huge relief to read, thank you for responding as always, AJC! Smiley Happy Thank you so much, I might give it a whirl at the end of the month then. And hey, that 10K is nothing to sneeze at, congrats! Heart

DaJagman >> I thought about that, but I am trying to get through all my HPs this year, so, I might like to try twice if I can. If they give me a little increase, I can try again later, if they gave me a more substantial one later, it might be worth the additional HP. Of course, my profile might also look better three months later... Decisions, decisions... Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cmm89 wrote:

TBH, I think that button is a good sign. It is a HP, and I have plenty of those. Both of my cards had that upon *ISSUE* -- though I am a Merrill Lynch Platinum Honors Plus client; nevertheless, I tried both. Travel Rewards went from $3.7K to $10K and Cash Rewards went from $3.7K to $5K. Both immediate approvals. $10K was my requested limit on the Trav Rewards (instant approval) and $10K on the Cash (they countered with $5K, instant). 

That 10K limit is by far my highest, then the Cash Rewards is next. After that is $2,200 with Discover. BoA is my JAM! 

I'm incredibly impatient, though. One of my biggest weaknesses. Best of luck, OP!

EDIT: I touched up the post. Bad grammar in some spots. 

Also, ETA: My scores weren't even where they're at now when they insta-pproved me. TU was in the 650's I think. I cannot estimate (negligible or significant) how much of an impact my relationship with ML had on the computer's decision.

Thank you for taking the time to draft this response, I humbly appreciate the data point and elaborate answer! I'm glad you think I have a pretty good chance, so, I might give it a try! Congrats on your instant approvals! I'll take into consideration your scores and your client status as well. I'm pretty patient, but I don't want to miss a chance, you know? Ha ha.

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for a third reply in my post, but does anyone recommend a number I should ask? I considered 20K, thinking they'd counter, but I hear that might not always be wise.

I'm considering 15K so that the computer has a higher chance of spitting out a counter instead of going to manual review. 

Message 8 of 26
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Because the computer will counter i feel you could shoot for 20k, 15 if you feel comfortable. But the thing is try to get the most out your hard pull so you never know they might just suprise you. This way youve left nothing on the table. If they give you like 15 or 18k, then maybe give it 6 months just to add some more history then shoot again lol.
Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry for a third reply in my post, but does anyone recommend a number I should ask? I considered 20K, thinking they'd counter, but I hear that might not always be wise.

I'm considering 15K so that the computer has a higher chance of spitting out a counter instead of going to manual review. 

I was in a similar situation. Started at $1500. Button showed up at 3rd cut. Went for it. Similar scores with more inquiries. Requested $11,700. Was approved the next day (not instant) for $5000.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.