Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Traveling

I have a venture and QS should I get another card as a safe blanket just in case? if so, what should I go for? 

I'm pre for Amex Gold / Chase Sap ( bank /w chase) or should I go for disco ? Scores below are current and will go up next reset once I clear $ 2500 revolving debt.

3 Inquires / 3 cc's in the last 2 years. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Traveling

Travel cards are honestly obsolete in the long-term. You should get a good cash rewards card as your back-up. Most of them don't have foreign transaction fees any how.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't travel outside the US a lot (okay not at all), but I'd pass on Amex or Discover. Neither are anywhere near as widely accepted internationally as a Visa or MC.

Perhaps the BoA Travel Rewards card. No FTF and 1.5% cash back on all purchases when redeemed for travel, plus a $200 signup bonus.

The Quicksilver would be my first choice for a non FTF card and you've already got it. I'd just stick with that, but if you want another one at least you'll have options. 

Message 3 of 9
taekwon
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a venture and QS should I get another card as a safe blanket just in case? if so, what should I go for? 

I'm pre for Amex Gold / Chase Sap ( bank /w chase) or should I go for disco ? Scores below are current and will go up next reset once I clear $ 2500 revolving debt.

IMO your Cap1 cards are solid. I travel internationally extensively and I never had an issue using my Cap1 cards(1 visa, 1mc). Add another issuer to your wallet for your own peace of mind if it will make you fell more at ease when you travel. When I return to the US in a few months I will add Chase, Amex and maybe bardclay. I've been reading some bad reviews about Barclay and international transactions, will think a little longer about adding Barclay.

-Peace

Starting Scores: EQ 598, EX 566, TU 550, 3/31/13 ....... Goal Score: 830
Current Scores: EQ 845, EX 841, TU 836 ..................... Inq: EQ: 0, EX: 1, TU: 1

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure what your spend and style is like, and if you travel internationally or not. But as you probably already know theres a couple of good premium high end travel cards out there. 

Since you said youre just looking for a "safe blanket card" ...maybe something like a Discover card  would be nice because it adds diversity giving you a diff bank network and I heard its used more in ASIA if you ever go there and it has No FTF. Another no annual fee and no FTF card is the BOA travel rewards. Other than that I can't think of many other no annual fee cards with no FTF out there. Otherwise most travel cards would require an annual fee which im not sure if youre interested in if youre just looking for a backup and not a main. 

Message 5 of 9
driftless
Valued Contributor

I think that adding a PRG or CSP(R) would be a good option.  I would look at their reward systems and determine which would work best for you.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Travel cards are honestly obsolete in the long-term. You should get a good cash rewards card as your back-up. Most of them don't have foreign transaction fees any how.

That is very misleading.  For a lot of people travel cards are hardly obsolete in the long-term.  Not sure what gives you that idea.  While cash back cards may be the best choice for many people, true travel cards offer rewards and benefits well in excess of any cash back card. No one card or type of card applies to everyone so it's better not to make absolute statements like this.  Cards like the Venture, Barclays Travel Rewards and the Arrival+ are in reality, cash back cards that can offer a decent bonus but after that, they are hardly travel cards.

Message 7 of 9
driftless
Valued Contributor

I can't speak to the Barclays' cards but the only time that I consider Venture as a travel card is redeeming "miles" when we take a driving trip away from urban areas and our accomodations are not part of a national chain.  

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 8 of 9
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is very misleading.  For a lot of people travel cards are hardly obsolete in the long-term.  Not sure what gives you that idea.  While cash back cards may be the best choice for many people, true travel cards offer rewards and benefits well in excess of any cash back card. No one card or type of card applies to everyone so it's better not to make absolute statements like this.  Cards like the Venture, Barclays Travel Rewards and the Arrival+ are in reality, cash back cards that can offer a decent bonus but after that, they are hardly travel cards.

I think it's all very subjective. Travel cards with good sign up bonuses have the best value the first year. After that, it really depends on how you can utilize the benefits a dedicated travel card has vs its annual fee.

I have several travel cards and do travel at least 2 times a year. I now feel that it might be easier to just have all cash back cards, especially if I cannot maximize my travel cards' values. Maybe I am just getting lazy haha. If you have the wisdom, time, and patience to research and learn how to use your miles smartly along with other card benefits, then travel cards might be worth keeping in the long term. Again, it's all very subjective. OP, there's a website to give you a rough idea on the value you might get from a card vs a straight 2% cash back card. http://www.worththefee.com/ 

If you dont mind learning more information on your own about a travel card, then I suggest Citi Prestige, Citi Premier, Chase Sapphire Reserve/Prefered, Amex PRG or Platinum card. 

If you just want some cash back from travel, I suggest Citi Costco or Sam's club mastercard as both has 3% cash back from travel and 4-5% cash back from gas but requires club membership. 

If you just want a straight 2% cash back card, then Citi Double Cash (has foreign transaction fee) or PenFed Power Cash (zero foreign transaction). Both should be fine as you dont travel internationally. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.