cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE: PenFed App denial, survey call? Confused...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: PenFed App denial, survey call? Confused...

Just wanted to get others opinion about PenFed. I applied and was denied for the Rewards visa.

Reasons

1. COLLECTION ACCOUNT(S) (nothing showing on my report except for the tax lien that was released but I believe will stay on my record for 7 yrs)

2. LENGTH OF TIME ACCTS ESTABLISHED. I haven't had a credit card for 10 years afer my bankruptcy until last year. Oldest account is 17 mos (Wells Fargo secured). 

3. TOO MANY INQUIRIES LAST 12 MONTHS. Well, I have gotten all my cards very recently (April 2016). That's 11 accounts within the last few months. 

So, I do understand the denial. Reconning it never crossed my mind. Here's my bewilderment. PenFed sent me a survey about my "experience". I didn't give an angry response or an excellent one either. Although in general, it was not favorable. Even asked me if I'm satsfied with the reason for the denial. I responded yes. Would I recommend, response no. I said I've never had an experience with PenFed and can't recommend them. Left it at that. Two days later, I got call from them regarding the survey I completed. They seem very determined to talk to me. They've called at least twice a day, gave me the assistant manager's phone number because she's off for 2 days. 

1. I don't understand why they sent me a survery. Are they expecting a favorable response for a denied app?

2. Has anyone had this experience before? I'm just not very inclined to want to talk to them at all. I work at night, they call during the day. 

3. Wonder what's the purpose of the call? 

Thanks for anyone's input. 

UPDATE: 

Well, I did call and spoke to the assistant manager. Unfortunately, the denial stands. But that's ok. Thanks for everyone's input and opinion. Will just have to nurture what I have now, let my score improve with time, and let the lineup I have grow. Although, the new card coming out with Chase is very enticing. I kinda have my eye on the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Would be nice to have that. Anyone have anymore info besides what's online? I wonder if I can upgrage my Sapphire Preferred into this. But it seems like it has the same benefit with AmEx Platinum Card. What's evereyone's take on this? What's the minimum credit they give for the VISA Infinite. I know the VISA Signature starts at $5000. 

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed App denial, survey call? Confused...

From what I've read about Penfed, responding unfavorably on the survey can cause them to recon for you - you might want to pick up that call!  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. I've never really heard of the institution until I started reading on here. They do have very good rates though and I would start banking with them if they considered me. I'll see. Might call or wait for them to call again. Thanks.
Message 3 of 31
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

From my experience, its very worth it to at least talk with them. Its nothing bad its just they are very interested in getting to know their clients , or potential clients, and to see what can be made to make the situation better. I received a phone call after my survey, i was not approved for a cli request, and they were curious as to why i felt how i felt from my replies to the survey. This is a great way to voice your opinions and find out maybe what you need to do to be able to improve your situation or experience with them. Some people actually can have great success in reconning denials through this call. In my case, they couldnt do anything as my account was too new and they would just like alittle bit more history but i said this before, i came away from the phone call feeling as if i just got approved Smiley Happy. I KNOW days will better with Penfed in my future!. Definetly call if you can and explain your situation, they may just yet surprise you Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 31
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I've read alot of post on here where ppl have turned a denial into an approval just by doing the survey thing . It wouldn't hurt to talk to them and see what they have to say .you never know what could happen .
Message 5 of 31
baller4life
Super Contributor

CALL!!! Members have been using the surveys as a way to recon their denial. You can explain away each denial reason they gave and turn it into an approval!!!v

Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uhh yeah.. pick up that phone!!! Or call back, they usually give a direct line on the voicemail. 

Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they call you again ... PICKUP the PHONE! 

BUT if you don't mind me suggesting - CALL THEM BACK! 

It could be in your best interest. 

NO GUTS NO CHANCE at ALL! 

Yes PenFed is #3 of all Credit Unions. 

If you can get established with them you have a leg in for mortgages, refinancing, automobiles etc. 

You took the hard pull.. you might as well work it.  

Please read the PenFed Thread on datapoints.  

An initial NO with PenFed is not always a HARD NO! 

You have a chance at explaining your file and what your intentions are with PenFed. 

This is your chance for a closing reconsideration.  Many have turned a NO into a YES. 

Good Luck and keep us posted. 

Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Banana Phone

Put down that BANNANNA and CALL them BACK on the PHONE! 

PS They are open today! 

I just wanted to add a funny picture to make you smile Smiley Happy 

Come back and tell us how you made out ! 

Message 9 of 31
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

One thing ill add from conversation with the wonderful Penfed rep was that they normally send out surveys only when you apply for a product so they dont want to swamp someone with lots of phone calls or pressure someone just to do so. So i believe with Penfed, unlike other places that ask for your opinion but really dont do anything, the survey is a truely great way to help build your relationship with them. Well i know you now have enough of us pushing, lol, you to call, so just want to say again good luck and hope ya keep us posted. Ill see where i am in 3 more months and let everyone know how my penfed experience is progressingSmiley Happy
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.