Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank 3/12 rule ?!

tag
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

US Bank 3/12 rule ?!

Hello

I recently applied for US Bank cash+ and got denied.

I have very short credit history <1 year. So whenever I got denied by other banks the reason was the same (Not enough established credit history).

However with US Bank the rejection reason was interesting (Too many recent new accounts).

When I checked with underwriting they confirmed the reason and told me they usually don't like to see more than 3 new accounts in the current calender year and that includes all kinds of accounts (credit cards - retail - loans).

So what kind of experience do you guys have with this and what do you think about that ?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank 3/12 rule ?!

It's a BS answer that still abides federal laws on AA notification.

A bank may deny you for many reasons, but by law they have to give you reasons you were denied -- even if those reasons aren't 100% accurate.  FICO sells "reason codes" to banks to help them abide the regulations out there, but those reason codes may have nothing to do with reality.

Don't expect the CSR to tell you, either.  Call underwriting, if they talk to consumers -- try to speak with a senior underwriter if one is available.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a BS answer that still abides federal laws on AA notification.

A bank may deny you for many reasons, but by law they have to give you reasons you were denied -- even if those reasons aren't 100% accurate.  FICO sells "reason codes" to banks to help them abide the regulations out there, but those reason codes may have nothing to do with reality.

Don't expect the CSR to tell you, either.  Call underwriting, if they talk to consumers -- try to speak with a senior underwriter if one is available.

☝️Agreed. BS

Message 3 of 6
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Yep. Horsehockey.

I remember when i first tried for the Cash+ when it was new and they said over the phone on several occasions (i kept calling to be sure) i was indeed approved for Cash+.

In the mail was the 1% cash card. They will tell you a load of malarky a lot of times.

If truth be told IMO the customer service is very mediocre.

Take that anyway you like but i had a couple of their cards for 5 years (via PC) and most the time it was always a song and dance to get anything that lined up in unison after discussion with different folks.

Not their fault. Like anyone else, they just want to get through the day right?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

They also are rated and get bonuses based on how fast they can turn over a call.
Message 5 of 6
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

A lot of BS I was declined recently by them an one of the reasons was too many consumer finance accounts and too high UT.  I have no consumer finance accounts and my UT is below 5%. 

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.