cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank denies CLI request on $500 Cash+, takes HP, any other options?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

US Bank denies CLI request on $500 Cash+, takes HP, any other options?

When I called US Bank about a week or so ago to try to get a CLI on my $500 Cash+ card, the CSR told me (yet again) that they couldn't deffinitely tell me whether it would be a HP or a SP.  After receiving more or less the same answer for the past 3 related calls I made to them, I finally decided to bite the bullet and ask for the CLI.  Long story short:  I received a letter in the mail today, which mentioned that not only had US Bank done a HP, but they had also declined the CLI request.  I was really surprised why they denied it, given that I have FICO 08 scores of 800+ on all 3 credit bureaus, and the credit bureau they had listed they were denying it from, said I had a TU FICO 04 Bankcard score of 776 as well. Yet they still denied the request...I tried calling in to US Bank to try to see if they could recon the CLI request, but they said the only way was to submit a new CLI request and that they couldn't recon using the CLI they had already pulled.  Needless to say, I'm kinda less than happy atm with US Bank, lol.  My question is, is there anything else anyone knows of that I can try, for example, would calling retention be potentially useful for instance?  I am just rather amazed that US Bank can be so stingy in terms of CLI, especially when I have other cards with $20k limits... Smiley Frustrated

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank denies CLI request on $500 Cash+, takes HP, any other options?

@galahad15 wrote:

When I called US Bank about a week or so ago to try to get a CLI on my $500 Cash+ card, the CSR told me (yet again) that they couldn't deffinitely tell me whether it would be a HP or a SP.  After receiving more or less the same answer for the past 3 related calls I made to them, I finally decided to bite the bullet and ask for the CLI.  Long story short:  I received a letter in the mail today, which mentioned that not only had US Bank done a HP, but they had also declined the CLI request.  I was really surprised why they denied it, given that I have FICO 08 scores of 800+ on all 3 credit bureaus, and the credit bureau they had listed they were denying it from, said I had a TU FICO 04 Bankcard score of 776 as well. Yet they still denied the request...I tried calling in to US Bank to try to see if they could recon the CLI request, but they said the only way was to submit a new CLI request and that they couldn't recon using the CLI they had already pulled.  Needless to say, I'm kinda less than happy atm with US Bank, lol.  My question is, is there anything else anyone knows of that I can try, for example, would calling retention be potentially useful for instance?  I am just rather amazed that US Bank can be so stingy in terms of CLI, especially when I have other cards with $20k limits... Smiley Frustrated

Ouch. Sorry to hear it, Galahad. What reason did they give you for the denial? Do you have a banking relationship with them? I would recommend going into a branch and talking with an account manager to see what can be done. 

Message 2 of 6
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the helpful suggestion there about checking with a bank branch manager CO_NATIVE, I deeply appreciate the valuable tip!  The official reason they gave for the denial was language that said something about having insufficient credit lines or something similar to that, which is kinda surprising just b/c I have over $100k in total credit limits, so I'm not sure why that was an issue for them?  I don't currently have a banking relationship with them atm, although I believe I may have had one at one time, in the past some years ago?

Message 3 of 6
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

Thanks for the helpful suggestion there about checking with a bank branch manager CO_NATIVE, I deeply appreciate the valuable tip!  The official reason they gave for the denial was language that said something about having insufficient credit lines or something similar to that, which is kinda surprising just b/c I have over $100k in total credit limits, so I'm not sure why that was an issue for them?  I don't currently have a banking relationship with them atm, although I believe I may have had one at one time, in the past some years ago?

I think the typical way to have CLI is by your usage of the account. Since you were just declined CLI by them, I would suggest you wait another 6 months before having them do another pull or just wait to see if they send you any offer. There are several things you could do. One is to show that you are not happy with the CLI result by writing to their executive office. You can probably get their info by calling the back of your card and telling them what happen. 

Another way is to heavy usuage on the account for the next 6 months or longer. Since your limit is only 500, you can either charge almost 500 each month or you could charge 500 and pay it down and then charge 500, keep cycling it through depending on your spending ability. However, please always to pay everything in full and not leave any balances. They report their balance to credit beauru the last day of the month so you need to watch out to not have a high balance then. Once you show usuage, your limit might grow with you. I also agree having a checking account with direct deposits will help your relationship with them too. They sometimes have sign up cash bonus for any new checking account. You may ask them about your eligibility since you just had an account years ago. 

Lastly, you said that you have tons of total credit. Sometimes banks are not willing to extend further credit because you already have lots of other credit available. The only thing to change that is by increase your income or get rid of some unnecessary cards. From my personal examples, Citi, Capital One, and Discover have been very stingy with me regarding CLI. However, I have better luck with US bank, Chase, Amex, and Barclays. 

My personal experience with US bank has been ok. I have a checking account with them with regular direct deposits. I also have two credit cards with them. My Cash+ card is my fast food dining card so I charges at least 10-20 charges each month of $10 each or so. I typically get an email or mail every 6-12 months about an offer for increasing my credit limit. I have two increases so far all are soft pulls. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you recon..you sure it was a UW? US bank is changing things I think they are closing access to UWs

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

Oh that is a strange reason. I have heard BofA in particiular tell people that have sufficient (meaning too much) credit but your signature does not look insuficient to me! 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.