Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank pre-qualified offer but....

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: US Bank pre-qualified offer but....

So why does their site even offer the Contour card when you go there to prequal.  It is not a credit card!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TiggerDat wrote:

So why does their site even offer the Contour card when you go there to prequal.  It is not a credit card!

The same way AMEX suggests the Serve when you don't prequal for anything?

I always saw it as a not so subtle "Come back when you got two nickels to rub together."

Message 12 of 19
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TiggerDat wrote:

I always saw it as a not so subtle "Come back when you got two nickels to rub together."

I have to laugh at it because I have 600,000 nickels to rub togethers.  I think I have just about every major lenders cards.  (BofA, Citi, Amex, Disc, FNBO, Barclay, Elan - their sister, etc., etc.)  I have a 714 FICO score and they won't prequal me for anything but a Contour card??  I think that in some ways they are the strictest credit card company!   Maybe I just have to wait for the Elan card to age, or maybe they have an agreement with their 1600 partner banks they won't solicit or offer you anything if you have an Elan card?

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TiggerDat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@TiggerDat wrote:

I have to laugh at it because I have 600,000 nickels to rub togethers.  I think I have just about every major lenders cards.  (BofA, Citi, Amex, Disc, FNBO, Barclay, Elan - their sister, etc., etc.)  I have a 714 FICO score and they won't prequal me for anything but a Contour card??  I think that in some ways they are the strictest credit card company!   Maybe I just have to wait for the Elan card to age, or maybe they have an agreement with their 1600 partner banks they won't solicit or offer you anything if you have an Elan card?

Who knows. They won't offer me a glass of water in a hurricane either. I'm not worried about it Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

A suggestion if you are near a US Bank Branch is go in and see a Personal Banker. Since I have read US Bank can be all over the place on pre-quals and issuing the lower tier cards, I wanted a Personal Banker to support my app. Have used the US Bank Personal Banker for every product I wanted rather than by telephone, online or chat. Success rate is 100%. Got a US Bank Premier Plus Line of Credit (comes with a US Bank Platinum Credit Card with best Apr rate), two US Bank Reserve Lines of Credit, US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature (NPSL) and an US Bank Affinity Visa Signature (NPSL). Also set up checking, savings and other investment vehicles over a one year time frame. Got the best interest rates and Aprs. I mention all this as prequals had me rated for higher Aprs and the banker called the different credit centers and discussed my case. In my mind, it made a difference. At least it is food for thought should you get hungry.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

A suggestion if you are near a US Bank Branch is go in and see a Personal Banker. Since I have read US Bank can be all over the place on pre-quals and issuing the lower tier cards, I wanted a Personal Banker to support my app. Have used the US Bank Personal Banker for every product I wanted rather than by telephone, online or chat. Success rate is 100%. Got a US Bank Premier Plus Line of Credit (comes with a US Bank Platinum Credit Card with best Apr rate), two US Bank Reserve Lines of Credit, US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature (NPSL) and an US Bank Affinity Visa Signature (NPSL). Also set up checking, savings and other investment vehicles over a one year time frame. Got the best interest rates and Aprs. I mention all this as prequals had me rated for higher Aprs and the banker called the different credit centers and discussed my case. In my mind, it made a difference. At least it is food for thought should you get hungry.

Good to know if US Bank ever gets big in DFW.

Message 16 of 19
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

Thanks ...I would love to do that but I am unfortunately thousands of miles away from a US Bank branch 😟

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

Thanks ...I would love to do that but I am unfortunately thousands of miles away from a US Bank branch 😟

Yes, then the personal approach would not be realistic.

Message 18 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

Yes, then the personal approach would not be realistic.

That's too bad. I was going to +1 it but I guess have to qualify it. Smiley Happy

If you have a US Bank branch nearby, go into the branch to talk credit cards. The tellers are able to handle your app and answer questions.

Writing any message on the envelope... the problem with that is, the mail room would discard the envelope as soon as it goes through the sorter and whatever machine de-envelopes the contents.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.