Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Amex Approval

tag
CraveMazda
Contributor

USAA Amex Approval

So, last night I applied for the Amex Zync (exactly 30 days from a denial) - got the processing - someone will contact you blah blah blah. Most likely they are going to reject me again Smiley Sad. So I decided to apply for the USAA Amex Cash Back - got approved for $4K! A bit disappointed about the CL but still happy I can say I have an AMEX in my wallet - but sure do want to be part of the "family". Guess I'll wait until next year (Dec) when I have 2 old baddies fall off.

I should be happy right?!Smiley Indifferent Someone please say YES.

Cap 1 Plat: $750 | Zync: NPSL | NFCU Rewards MC: $23K | Nordstrom Visa: $10K | USAA Amex: $4K | Chase Freedom: $5K | Discover IT: 11,500K | BCE: $ 11K
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Boonie
Frequent Contributor

Re: USAA Amex Approval

Congrats on the approval!  Not a bad starting limit at all.  You should be happy!

04/10/17 - FICO 8s - EX 769, EQ 710, TU 724
Message 2 of 13
CraveMazda
Contributor

Thanks Boonie! Needed the pep talk Smiley Tongue

Cap 1 Plat: $750 | Zync: NPSL | NFCU Rewards MC: $23K | Nordstrom Visa: $10K | USAA Amex: $4K | Chase Freedom: $5K | Discover IT: 11,500K | BCE: $ 11K
Message 3 of 13
drkaje
Senior Contributor

You should be happy!

I'm waiting to apply with them until utilization is under tighter control. Just way too high now at a little over 50%.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 13
CraveMazda
Contributor

Thanks drkaje. After reading other people's experience with USAA credit cards, I do feel lucky.

I have spent the past 4 years rebuilding my credit after a BK in 2002. Even after my BK though, I was so depressed over my financial stumble since I had such great credit before that - then went thru a divorce and just didn't do a great job of staying current on bills - it took me years to get out of my funk and get over myself and start taking this credit thing serious again.

Anyway - so 4 years ago I applied for a secured BOA($300 CL w/ $29 AF) then a few months after a Cap One Plat ($500 bumped up to $750 after 6 months, $29AF)  then a year later pulled the trigger and applied for a NavyFed rewards card declined but was offered secured so I funded it with $500 to start later I put more money to bring the CL to $1200 - when they graduated my card they gave me a credit limit of $1500 then a few months later $1750 - last month I asked for CLI and got $14K Smiley Surprised so it is a good feeling to see that I am beginning to be credit worthy again. 

Lesson was a long hard one to learn but now I won't even consider buying something unless I have the money. I want to use my credit cards to get points or cash back.

Thanks all. It has been because of Myfico forum that I've been able to get back on track. My hope is in two years, I'll be talking about a mortgage I was approved for Smiley Happy - waiting on that not because of score(partly) but I want to save at least 20% to put down.

Message 5 of 13
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!

I love my USAA  Mastercard.

Great company

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Message 6 of 13
CS800
Super Contributor

Congrats Smiley Happy

Would you mind sharing your score? What did they pull?

Message 7 of 13
CraveMazda
Contributor

They pulled EQ and currently my score is 676. Hope that helps. I expect to get a big jump next year when some of my baddies fall off. Goal is to be in the 720's by end of next year. Hoping to get there by then. 

Message 8 of 13
jla84
Regular Contributor

Congrats! I was just approved for Amex Zync, but the only open credit card I have is the Cap 1 $500 CL (I should see increase to $750 after 6 months in Feb. Blah). I can only dream of getting a 4K limit right off the bat! 

Starting Score (07/2011): EQ 706 TU 709
Current Score (6/2013): EQ 740 TU 732 EX 740
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3

Message 9 of 13
xlr8d
Frequent Contributor

congrats!

Are you a full member or just a partial out of curiousity?

Starting Score: EQ 515 TU 490 EXfaco 510
Current Score: EQ 660 TU 665 EXplus 661
Goal Score: 700

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.