Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultamate (Comenity) Preapproval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ultamate (Comenity) Preapproval?

I had gotten an email saying I was preapproved for Ulta's store card with Comenity, which I had been looking at anyway, since I like Ulta when I do shop for makeup and since I need to add a card or two because of a thin positive file (I've been rebuilding for the last year or so). I did some research, had been considering it, but filed it away in the back of my mind for another time.

Last weekend I was actually in Ulta, and the cashier brings up my rewards account and notices that I'm preapproved. I decided what the hell, go ahead and try it, since I had been considering it anyway. I got the 7-10 days response, despite the pre-approval.

Now, I've actually moved since I got the first email about pre-approval, and hadn't updated my address with Ulta, so I did that when I did the application. I'm wondering if that's actually what caused the 7-10, because my credit score is high enough (at least judging by what I've read on here) to be approved pretty easily. My credit file does actually show both addresses already, and I tried calling into Comenity to try to reach someone to verify it, but no one on their end can tell me anything other than that I have to wait for the letter telling me what's going on.

Does anyone have any idea what I should be doing? Is there a particular number or department I should be asking for? I've tried the number listed in the backdoor thread, but it didn't get me anywhere (I'm thinking I just don't know what to ask, maybe?).

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ultamate (Comenity) Preapproval?

@Anonymous wrote:

I had gotten an email saying I was preapproved for Ulta's store card with Comenity, which I had been looking at anyway, since I like Ulta when I do shop for makeup and since I need to add a card or two because of a thin positive file (I've been rebuilding for the last year or so). I did some research, had been considering it, but filed it away in the back of my mind for another time.

Last weekend I was actually in Ulta, and the cashier brings up my rewards account and notices that I'm preapproved. I decided what the hell, go ahead and try it, since I had been considering it anyway. I got the 7-10 days response, despite the pre-approval.

Now, I've actually moved since I got the first email about pre-approval, and hadn't updated my address with Ulta, so I did that when I did the application. I'm wondering if that's actually what caused the 7-10, because my credit score is high enough (at least judging by what I've read on here) to be approved pretty easily. My credit file does actually show both addresses already, and I tried calling into Comenity to try to reach someone to verify it, but no one on their end can tell me anything other than that I have to wait for the letter telling me what's going on.

Does anyone have any idea what I should be doing? Is there a particular number or department I should be asking for? I've tried the number listed in the backdoor thread, but it didn't get me anywhere (I'm thinking I just don't know what to ask, maybe?).

You have to wait for the letter in the mail to come with a verification code that you call in and give them;  they ask a few questions to verfiy you are who you say and then tell you whether or not you're approved. 
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You have to wait for the letter in the mail to come with a verification code that you call in and give them;  they ask a few questions to verfiy you are who you say and then tell you whether or not you're approved. 

So I got the letter in the mail, but it came back saying that because something didn't match (name, address, SSN -- it must be address, because obvs I know my name and SSN) they were denying it, period. Not even a phone number to call and verify anything. Is there anything I can do at this point?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would reach out to their phone number on their credit card site and do a recon with the info they need.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I did, called the verification number about it. Despite the fact that my I can verify both the address they had on file AND my new address, and both addresses are listed on my credit report, they're still telling me that they can't do anything about the denial. That's absolutely ridiculous; my credit's done nothing but go up since I got the preapproval, but because I've moved, no dice.

Message 5 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ah well, their loss. Want something from Ulta, whip out a better cc and own itSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.